Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Clutch problem/ slave cylindar

where's the slave cylindar located on a 2000 LS1 Camaro? I had a new clutch installed and i'm not sure if the clutch just needs to be bled or if the slave is bad...

how well the clutch functions varies, sometimes it's hard as hell to get into gear, others the clutch feels better and it will shift pretty smooth under normal driving conditions (usually). Under any kind of hard acceleration it just sucks all together, clutch is spongy, sticks on return, and good luck getting it into the next gear. I want to start with bleeding the system. so some good directions and or pics to where the bleeder valve is would be well extremely usefull for an inept person such as myself. And any other tips would be well appreciated...

it's a centerforce clutch BTW. new throwout bearing.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The Slave is located inside the bellhousing. You'll see the line running into the drivers side of the tranny....the bleed valve is right by it...you'll only be able to feel it.....The easiest way I've seen to bleed the system is to take the crossmember off, disconnet the driveshaft and let the tranny drop a little.......if I remember correctly you'll need a 10mm socket to open and close the valve....But be forwarned.....bleeding out this system is a royal Bit$%. I actually bled it out the bottom and then went on top at the master cylinder and used a vacum pump to pull the air out of the hose from there.....

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

ok, thanks. judging from your experience. do you think the slave cylindar is bad? or just needs to be bled?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NVmySSMaro
    ok, thanks. judging from your experience. do you think the slave cylindar is bad? or just needs to be bled?
    Well....I'd always say start with the cheapest fix....meaning....try bleeding it first....it could just have some air in it.....also....when you get up under the car see if you see any fluid coming out of the bell housing.....if so you could have a leaking slave cylinder.....

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37
    Well....I'd always say start with the cheapest fix....meaning....try bleeding it first....it could just have some air in it.....also....when you get up under the car see if you see any fluid coming out of the bell housing.....if so you could have a leaking slave cylinder.....
    while i was under there i didn't see any leaks. another question i have is... do these cars have hydraulic throwout bearings? and do people just refer to the set up as a slave cylindar? I've been told so many things I'm kinda confuzzled on the set up... I see replacement slave cylindars for these cars on the internet... so in other words a basic/simple explanation on the set up would unexplode my brain.

John

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

while i was under there i didn't see any leaks. another question i have is... do these cars have hydraulic throwout bearings? and do people just refer to the set up as a slave cylindar? I've been told so many things I'm kinda confuzzled on the set up... I see replacement slave cylindars for these cars on the internet... so in other words a basic/simple explanation on the set up would unexplode my brain.

John
    Yep the slave cylindar is a hydraulic throwout bearing basically......if you didn't see anything leaking then it would lead me to believe that you have an air bubble in there....it only takes one to ruin your day.......try bleeding the system out first....like I said earlier...they are a pain in the ass to bleed. Get you a buddy to help you with this.......have him sit in the car and have him pump the pedal up and then hold it down. You open the bleed screw from underneath and then close it after the liquid shoots out. Have your buddy pump it back up again and do this process a couple of times.........

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks!

John

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks!

John
    not a problem...let me know how it goes

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Bled the clutch, felt great while on the incline, took it down and felt good out of the driveway, took it down the road and felt like shit!

.... so slave cylindar?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Bled the clutch, felt great while on the incline, took it down and felt good out of the driveway, took it down the road and felt like shit!

.... so slave cylindar?
    Well if a slave cylindar goes out it will leak......I still say there is air in the system......when I say these things are a bit$% I mean they are a bit$% to bleed......do it a couple more times.....you may end up getting a hand vacume pump and try to get the air out the top of the master cylinder......check out this link....
    http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/clutch.html

1995 Z28 & 2002 Z28

Some clutches require shim packs behind the slave. If the slave was not changed during the clutch install and it was fine before the clutch install, it shoud not need to be bleed.

u need to upgrade to an 02 slave cylinder...... u deff should have got that changed when u did the clutch.... b/c now u have to pull the tranny back out to replace it....

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

The clutch felt like shit before the new clutch went in, didn't get any better afterwards (i was told that was the problem) and i know i should have changed the slave cylindar when the clutch was put in, but the guy swore up and down that i didn't need to upgrade it, despite the warning on the side of the box! (Dumbass me, i should have just done it any way)

so i don't see it leaking, so the suggestion is keep bleeding it, becuz it actually started feelling good while on the jackstands, but when i took it down, it went all to hell!

I'm also concerned with the rearend, it has already ripped out one set of 3.73's (richmonds) no one can seem to tell me why exactly, but they seem to think it's has too much traction even on a street tire (285x45x17) No one can even give me and answer on what to do about it. i've asked hole in the wall mechanics, to the corvette guy at the local dealership (dad talked to him) and even this supposedly "badass" race car builder Donnie Walker.

and just my rant for the occasion. I'm tired of these old farts saying how fast it is when there are sooo damn many other LS1's, Cobras, Z06's that will out run it and in stock form... 13.22 @ 107 2.08 60ft with an avg driver (me) is NOT fast! Dad rags on me saying i don't know how much power it has! (he has in his head that it's some monster car or some shit) and my guess would be about 320whp (judging by the ET)

oh well, sorry for the BS! N E way bleed the clutch! ALOT! any ideas you guys have on the rearend would be much appreciated

John

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

While you are in there if it's not too late I have seen kits to add to the slave so you don't have to get way up in the bellhousing to bleed the clutch. I replaced my master, slave cylinders and WISH that I had done this. the kit runs about 100 or so maybe less just search around it's somewhere out there. If I run across it Ill send you a pm.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mikeaford
    While you are in there if it's not too late I have seen kits to add to the slave so you don't have to get way up in the bellhousing to bleed the clutch. I replaced my master, slave cylinders and WISH that I had done this. the kit runs about 100 or so maybe less just search around it's somewhere out there. If I run across it Ill send you a pm.

ok, thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

I've bled the thing several times now, and it's almost done. but the clutch is slipping now... either i managed to fuck up my centerforce already (only been in there like 3-4 months, haven't been driving much due to the clutch. or it was a bad install, just like the gears which fell out 4 months after he put them in. same guy did the clutch.

Thread Information