Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

clutch and gears - supporting mods '98

Alright, I am going to be upgrading the clutch and rear gears here soon. the car is a 98 TA M6.

I am going 4.10s, I think I need a series 4 carrier for these gears but not sure.

I am also going to do a spec or RAM clutch, on a 98, are there any other things I should take care of while im in there? 90k miles. throwout bearing or something? while I have it all apart what little things should I tackle?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by SpecterGT260 View Post
    Alright, I am going to be upgrading the clutch and rear gears here soon. the car is a 98 TA M6.

I am going 4.10s, I think I need a series 4 carrier for these gears but not sure.

I am also going to do a spec or RAM clutch, on a 98, are there any other things I should take care of while im in there? 90k miles. throwout bearing or something? while I have it all apart what little things should I tackle?
    Save your money on the gear swap, Get a 9" ford. rule of thumb when it comes to the rear end is to upgrade and not to rebuild. For the $500+ you will spend you will be 1/4 of the way to getting a much better rearend. when you do get new gears, I would go with some 4.30's I absolutely love them for the street and the track. With all my mods, I still get 24 MPG as a daily driver.

As far as the clutch goes, I have a spec stage 4 with the spec billet flywheel. Outstanding clutch but it is a "on/off" clutch. A Spec stage 3+ is a great street clutch. IMPORTANT, when you do change it, Make sure you get a new Spec flywheel. Several friends used their stock flywheel with the new clutch and it lasted maybe 3,000 miles. Get a new updated slave cylinder, as well as doing the drill mod. while you are at it it wouldn't hurt to by a new master cylinder as well.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Of those two clutches I'd say go with the Ram. I'm with him ^^ on getting a better rear like a nine inch.

black trans am

if u opp to use the sock rear end look in to axles #1 and u might wank to look in to a locker

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

at 22 years old and in school a 9" isnt an option right now, believe me, i would totally go that route if it was at all possible within the next 5 years. but thanks for the advice otherwise guys. I still need to know about the carrier in the rear

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have a RAM clutch and so far it has been great. Grabs very well, but it can chatter sometimes.

As for the rear end my thoughts are don't mess with it if you can not afford to upgrade to something like a 9". Unless you do not plan on abusing your car, or being able to apply much power from a dead stop you will break your 10 bolt eventually. Some are stronger then others, but it is a crap shot. If you spend the money to upgrade this rear now and then when it brakes again you are close to 1/3 of the cost of getting a 9".

If/when it brakes you can then choose to go with 4.10s and get a little more life out of the car. I would do the same with the clutch, beat on it till it starts to give troubles then once it does replace it. You will get more miles out of it, just know that those changes are going to be needed eventually.

Thread Information