Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Which Clutch?

This is a discussion on Which Clutch? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Spec stage 4 with spec billet flywheel, new slave and drill mod here. Absolutely love it and I daily drive ...

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Spec stage 4 with spec billet flywheel, new slave and drill mod here. Absolutely love it and I daily drive it as well. Absolutely love it at the track.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Spec stage 4 with spec billet flywheel, new slave and drill mod here. Absolutely love it and I daily drive it as well. Absolutely love it at the track.
    Same set-up here. 4K miles on mine. No chatter, grabs insane.
    Heard some pretty good things about the SPEC 3+ as well.
    There are better clutches out there though for sure. Mcleod, Textrailia, or Ram are all great.

The LS7 clutch will NOT hold 500RWHP for long. I would stay away from any stock GM clutch for that kind of power.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

LS2tuner said all that needs to be said. He is exactly right.

Mcleod twin disk.

There is nothing else I can say to further back up LS2tuner, except my own experience.

so heres some important bullet points.
    -Mcleod twin disk can be bought for under $1000,
    -no longer need an adj master cylinder.
    -smaller diameter pressure plate, friction plates and floater ring.
    -smaller plates = less rotational mass, faster revs
    -two friction plates = more grabbing surface less effort

my 2001 z28 m6 is making over 400 rwph and 500 crank hp. The car sees lots of track time and agressive street driving. I bought the Mcleod RST immediatly when it came. Once I hit a 1000 miles to break in the clutch and the strange s60 rearend, I took the car to the track. I made 16 passes in one day launching from 4000-5500 rpms turning 1.4, 60 ft times. Also 4 of those passes where hot laps, 4 passes in under 4 minutes.
    NO CLUTCH ISSUES AT ALL, NO SMELL OF THE CLUTCH GETTING HOT.

in regards to street driving, I called Mcleod and spoke with Lee, after I installed the clutch because I pushed the pedal through the floor so to say. I thought something was wrong with my clutch because of how easy the pedal was to push. Its completely normal!! Its lighter then stock. Not once have I heard the clutch chatter, smelled or felt it getting hot, nothing!! one reason why the new zr1 is a twin disk clutch. Twin disk support high hp with great street and track manners

i have used:
    centerforce dual friction
    obviously ls6 clutch
    spec
    mcleod

there is no such thing as a great street driving, great track affordable single disk clutch.
    Twin disk is the only way to go.

Mcleod is awesome!

one final note, this winter my car is going back under the knife for a ls3 procharger f1 build, the mcleod twin disk will still support 900+rwhp, its allows the car/engine to grow into it.
    Last edited by ibanez7; 08-05-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    LS2tuner said all that needs to be said. He is exactly right.

Mcleod twin disk.

There is nothing else I can say to further back up LS2tuner, except my own experience.

so heres some important bullet points.
    -Mcleod twin disk can be bought for under $1000,
    -no longer need an adj master cylinder.
    -smaller diameter pressure plate, friction plates and floater ring.
    -smaller plates = less rotational mass, faster revs
    -two friction plates = more grabbing surface less effort

my 2001 z28 m6 is making over 400 rwph and 500 crank hp. The car sees lots of track time and agressive street driving. I bought the Mcleod RST immediatly when it came. Once I hit a 1000 miles to break in the clutch and the strange s60 rearend, I took the car to the track. I made 16 passes in one day launching from 4000-5500 rpms turning 1.4, 60 ft times. Also 4 of those passes where hot laps, 4 passes in under 4 minutes.
    NO CLUTCH ISSUES AT ALL, NO SMELL OF THE CLUTCH GETTING HOT.

in regards to street driving, I called Mcleod and spoke with Lee, after I installed the clutch because I pushed the pedal through the floor so to say. I thought something was wrong with my clutch because of how easy the pedal was to push. Its completely normal!! Its lighter then stock. Not once have I heard the clutch chatter, smelled or felt it getting hot, nothing!! one reason why the new zr1 is a twin disk clutch. Twin disk support high hp with great street and track manners

i have used:
    centerforce dual friction
    obviously ls6 clutch
    spec
    mcleod

there is no such thing as a great street driving, great track affordable single disk clutch.
    Twin disk is the only way to go.

Mcleod is awesome!

one final note, this winter my car is going back under the knife for a ls3 procharger f1 build, the mcleod twin disk will still support 900+rwhp, its allows the car/engine to grow into it.
    I think anyhting with the Mcleod name on it does fine. I have the Mcleod single/kevlar and make the same hp. Got over 35,000miles on it. Hotlapped it many times. I launch at over 6,000rpms on ET Streets with a Strange 12 bolt.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

well I guess something any person can establish from this thread is this.

-spec has very good responses and very bad responses.

-LS7 is comfortable to drive but no one seems to think it will hold 500rwhp very well or for very long.

-Textralia Twin is a good choice but hasn't had much response.

-Mcleod heavy favorite with virtually no complaints from anyone.

thus far the answer seems somewhat clear to me... but this discussion is far from over for me.

One thing I would like to hear strangly enough is to hear someone say bad things about Mcleod clutches... I have heard plenty of people bash Spec so lets see if anyone can say the same complaints about Mcleod... anyone?

I'm sure you will always be able to find complaints about clutches but lets just see how far we have to go.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've heard tons of complaints about the Mcleod adjustible master cylinder, which has been included with most all of their clutches. I personally never had an issue with mine. Nice piece, billet construction.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

in regards to clutch reviews you have to consider the variables.

-who installed the clutch
    -was the clutch installed properly
    -does the driver really know how to drive a manual, or do they ride/slip the clutch
    -was the correct clutch bought for their intentions/power
    -was the clutch broken in correctly
    -is the clutch manufactorer subject to the latest fad of hype or bashing
    -the person praising or bashing the clutch, have they actually owned that clutch

Spec has a good name and a bad name. Reason being is because any of the variables listed above. Many people who bad mouth spec, never had a spec, dont really know how to drive stick, poor install and or not broken in.

In regards to Mcleod, they have been a dominating force in raceing with hte clutch industry for many years, just like Zoom Clutches. Really the only complaint regarding Mcleod, was the bad adj. master cylinders. the master cylinder where made by an outside source that started to do a piss poor job, so mcleod dropped them and discontinued the adj. master cylinder. This in turn prompted two great clutches from mcleod. The RST and RXT. Neither of these clutches require an adj master. Mcleod is in the process with another maker to release a new and improved adj master.

The RST and RXT:
    -RST does not have ceramic in the friction plates, hence can not handle as much heat as the RXT.
    -the RXT is rated to support more HP.
    -mcleod under-rated both clutch for hp, they can handle more then advertised.

I bought the RST only because the RXT was a longer waiting time before shipping. However I can swap out the RST friction plates for the RXT friction plates for a pro-rated costs with mcleod. So far I have not seen a reason too.

1989 Nissan 570SX

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    in regards to clutch reviews you have to consider the variables.

-who installed the clutch
    me
    -was the clutch installed properly
    the only reason i'm not ASE certified today is because i let my certification lapse since i'm out of the industry and it serves no useful purpose for me now, so YES
    -does the driver really know how to drive a manual, or do they ride/slip the clutch
    yes, i drive a manual very well. i learned to drive on a manual. plus, i never drag raced it
    -was the correct clutch bought for their intentions/power
    i bought a clutch that i could grow into, so it was rated for much more torque than i was making
    -was the clutch broken in correctly
    i broke it in much softer and for longer than they recommended, just to make sure it wasn't an issue. then i slowly brought power back in, rather than all at once
    -is the clutch manufactorer subject to the latest fad of hype or bashing
    yes, because their quality control program is nonexistent, just like their customer service
    -the person praising or bashing the clutch, have they actually owned that clutch
    yes, and it sucked.

Spec has a good name and a bad name. Reason being is because any of the variables listed above. Many people who bad mouth spec, never had a spec, dont really know how to drive stick, poor install and or not broken in.
    sorry, spec really does suck. they don't make a crappy product, they just have no QC, and then they don't back up their product either. i bet you a pretty penny that McLeod has both good QC and good service. that's why you don't hear complaints. on the tiny chance they sell a defective product, they probably stand behind it 100% so you don't go bashing them.

sorry, spec just sucks.
    ~Jason
    2005 Acura RSX: Daily Driver duties
    1994 Toyota Corolla: the beater that just won't die!
    "Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You can only have two."

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Ya I agree^^

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 570SX View Post
    sorry, spec really does suck. they don't make a crappy product, they just have no QC, and then they don't back up their product either. i bet you a pretty penny that McLeod has both good QC and good service. that's why you don't hear complaints. on the tiny chance they sell a defective product, they probably stand behind it 100% so you don't go bashing them.

sorry, spec just sucks.
    that does seem like the general consesus with spec is that you can get a good one and you would see no reason to bash them. Or you could receive a defective one which there seems to be a lot of them out there and their customer service has never received a good rating from anyone thats had anything to do with them there by compounding the initial problem. I would guess the reason Spec has such shitty Customer Service is because they have so many duds and thereby so many complaints and can't possibly resolve that many f**k ups...

1989 Nissan 570SX

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    that does seem like the general consesus with spec is that you can get a good one and you would see no reason to bash them. Or you could receive a defective one which there seems to be a lot of them out there and their customer service has never received a good rating from anyone thats had anything to do with them there by compounding the initial problem. I would guess the reason Spec has such shitty Customer Service is because they have so many duds and thereby so many complaints and can't possibly resolve that many f**k ups...
    i totally agree with you. if i worked for a company that sold crappy products, i'd get tired of dealing with the angry customers as well. but then, i wouldn't work for a company that sells crap. yup, we're Fortune 500, baby.

one day all the angry spec customers will win and we'll spread enough bad press that they'll make a concerted effort on QC or close up shop

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

well where would be the cheapest places to pick up either a Textralia or a Mcleod?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    well where would be the cheapest places to pick up either a Textralia or a Mcleod?
    From the links I posted. Summit Racing will beat anyone eles's price so that would be my choice for you.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information