Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Which Clutch?

This is a discussion on Which Clutch? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; To the guys that have driven various clutches I ask which clutch is a better one to drive. I was ...

  1. #1
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    Which Clutch?

    To the guys that have driven various clutches I ask which clutch is a better one to drive. I was planning on going to a Spec like most people but I've recentely been talking to some people and they suggested that the spec is a little crappy to drive and has a lot of chatter. I know alot of people will say thats not true but I'm just going by what I've heard.

    Well theres alot of other options out there and I'm just trying to figure out which ones are the best ones...

    the traights I'm looking for

    -no chatter
    -longer grab travel (not a racing clutch thats either grab or nothing)
    -stiffer pedal pressure doesn't bother me
    -must hold up to or slightly more then 500hp


    thanks in advance guys.

  2. #2
    Member Benner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Delaware, OH
    Age
    30
    Posts
    946

    Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

    You've just explained the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel in your wants. It's a great clutch that'll hold up to over 500 hp. Love mine. grips really nicely real easy take-offs, but it'll grip like a SOB when you want it too.
    98 FORMULA 6Spd, Zr1 Wheels,
    224/228 .591/.591 113LSA Cam, LS6 Oil Pump,
    918 Valve Springs, Heads Milled .010",
    Ported TB, SD Tune, PaceSetter LT's/ORY,
    MagnaFlow Catback, Ls7 Clutch/Flywheel,
    Hurst Billet/Plus Sifter, BMR Rear Suspension,
    Eibach Pro-Kit
    365 RWHP 373 RWTQ

  3. #3
    Track Whore 570SX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Age
    32
    Posts
    63
    1989 Nissan 570SX

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    To the guys that have driven various clutches I ask which clutch is a better one to drive. I was planning on going to a Spec like most people but I've recentely been talking to some people and they suggested that the spec is a little crappy to drive and has a lot of chatter. I know alot of people will say thats not true but I'm just going by what I've heard.
    Well theres alot of other options out there and I'm just trying to figure out which ones are the best ones...
    the traights I'm looking for
    -no chatter
    -longer grab travel (not a racing clutch thats either grab or nothing)
    -stiffer pedal pressure doesn't bother me
    -must hold up to or slightly more then 500hp
    thanks in advance guys.
    agreed. their quality control is poorer than the others, and if you buy from a real name brand and still end up with a bum part, they'll back you up and send you a new one. get one of SPEC's many bum parts and they just call you stupid and tell you you're stuck with their junk.

    just doing my part to hurt SPEC's image, if they have one left. they screwed me over.

  4. #4
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    A ? for you. . . . . . . . You stated it must hold 500hp. . . . . . . . . Are you using nitrous of boost?
    I would highly recommend you stay away from Spec's also. I run McLeod in most all of the cars I build and or work on.
    http://mcleodind.com/application_gui..._GM_Parts.html


    Also is the car going to actually hook or is it a street toy on rubber bands? I say that cause you could have 640hp but if your never going to hook that clutch will only need to transplant 370 because of traction issues.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  5. #5
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    A ? for you. . . . . . . . You stated it must hold 500hp. . . . . . . . . Are you using nitrous of boost?
    I would highly recommend you stay away from Spec's also. I run McLeod in most all of the cars I build and or work on.
    http://mcleodind.com/application_gui..._GM_Parts.html


    Also is the car going to actually hook or is it a street toy on rubber bands? I say that cause you could have 640hp but if your never going to hook that clutch will only need to transplant 370 because of traction issues.
    very good question indeed... the thing is I'm doing heads/cam and hoping for 460rwhp but I may get a shot of nitrous or even blower later on... I'll be getting Nitto's 555R's and won't be launching at anything higher then 3000 grand forsure regardless of tires...

    if theres no reason to get a bigger clutch for that then I won't however I like playing it safe and getting things stronger then they have to be for the most part...

  6. #6
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    You've just explained the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel in your wants. It's a great clutch that'll hold up to over 500 hp. Love mine. grips really nicely real easy take-offs, but it'll grip like a SOB when you want it too.
    I wanted to stay away from LS7 clutches and what not because they are heavier...

  7. #7
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    I've been told from a very good source that RPS clutches although not very well known are excellent clutches... can anyone here vouch for them?

    www.turboclutch.com

  8. #8
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    I've been told from a very good source that RPS clutches although not very well known are excellent clutches... can anyone here vouch for them?

    www.turboclutch.com
    Well looking @ their site the chepest they offer is $1095 for a dual friction single disc. . . . . . . . Here is something that is cheaper.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

    But if your talking about spending a $1000 round about you would be dumb not to buy a McLeod Street Twin. They are the ones that developed the street twin set up in the 90's and everyone else has copied over the years as they update and improve.
    For $720 you can get the RST and use your flywheel. It uses a smaller pair of disc then the company your referring to uses a 10.5" disc's which means lighter also.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku


    For $1619 you can get a Complete kit including the dual 9.5" discs,aluminum fly wheel,straped floater,billet master for clutch,and throwout bearing.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

    $1390 without the master.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

    That RPS's dual kit was $2295 and $2795.

  9. #9
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    I take it you use Mcleod? have you tried more then one type of clutch?

  10. #10
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    I take it you use Mcleod? have you tried more then one type of clutch?
    Yes I use Mcleod in one of my 2 clutch cars I own. I have been in the drag racing scene for 16 years with my own cars and many years selling parts daily at speed shops so I have seen many of results. I also have been building cars for the last 8 years for customers.

    So in short yes I have tried many clutches in drastic spread of cars.

  11. #11
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yes I use Mcleod in one of my 2 clutch cars I own. I have been in the drag racing scene for 16 years with my own cars and many years selling parts daily at speed shops so I have seen many of results. I also have been building cars for the last 8 years for customers.

    So in short yes I have tried many clutches in drastic spread of cars.
    well thats great... so you would recommend the Mcleod considering I'm looking for the best street friendly clutch available?

  12. #12
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    well thats great... so you would recommend the Mcleod considering I'm looking for the best street friendly clutch available?
    When you say "street friendly" but you want it to handle 500+HP dependably. . . . . . . . I would say the double is the way to do. McLeod's street twin has less pedal effort than stock and can handle hot lapping on test and tune night's. And I'm speaking of grabbing 175-200 right out of the gate dumping the clutch @ 3000rpm and going right back up the return to the stagging and making another 10 second pass.

    Unless you have 3.91's or 4.10's I would stay with a steel flywheel for the street. Your convertible is heavy and likes TQ for the street. So buy the Street Twin for $720 and you'll love it and it will last.

  13. #13
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    When you say "street friendly" but you want it to handle 500+HP dependably. . . . . . . . I would say the double is the way to do. McLeod's street twin has less pedal effort than stock and can handle hot lapping on test and tune night's. And I'm speaking of grabbing 175-200 right out of the gate dumping the clutch @ 3000rpm and going right back up the return to the stagging and making another 10 second pass.

    Unless you have 3.91's or 4.10's I would stay with a steel flywheel for the street. Your convertible is heavy and likes TQ for the street. So buy the Street Twin for $720 and you'll love it and it will last.
    do you have any opinions of the textralia street twin?

  14. #14
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    I would only go Mcleod, Textrailia, or Ram. I've had a Mcleod single disc Kevlar for like 5 or 6 years now. Prolly like 35,000 miles on it. Still holds 6000+rpm dumps on ET Streets.

  15. #15
    Junior Member jc99ls1ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    66

    Bright Red
    1999 Camaro SS

    i have a tex oz700 and love it. Almost like stock feel. You can still ride it and when you want it is there. x grip is rated for 550 - 600 and z grip is rated at 700. I have the x

  16. #16
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    You've just explained the LS7 clutch It's a great clutch that'll hold up to over 500 hp.
    Where are you getting this from? I'd stay away from stock clutches if there's any track time in the cars future.

  17. #17
    Track Whore 570SX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Age
    32
    Posts
    63
    1989 Nissan 570SX

    while we're on the subject of textralia, i just visited their site, and they have an aluminum slave cyl, and it's cheap, too. is this something unique to them or is it a rebranded OEM one? what's the deal? i would guess that the OEM one is AL, so i shouldn't be worried about it standing up to the task, and their clutches are very well-liked, so i wouldn't be afraid to try it. esp. for $100. any input?
    ~Jason
    2005 Acura RSX: Daily Driver duties
    1994 Toyota Corolla: the beater that just won't die!
    "Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You can only have two."

  18. #18
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    who here is running the LS7 clutch and LS2 Flywheel... I'd like to discuss some things with you...

  19. #19
    Junior Member Adam_WS6_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    84

    White
    2001 Ws6

    Ls7 clutch and ls2 fly wheel hands down...... i hade a spec stage 1 and hated it for a dd but loved it on the 1/4 mile!!!! just way too much chatter
    Patriot Stage 2 heads cam 228.228.581.581. 112 lsa, lts ory Magnaflow cat back, maf,full tune, LS7 Cluch w/ LS2 Flywheel,Pro 5.0,Slotted/Drilled Rotors,Subframe Connectors,Strut Tower Brace,panhard bar,lower control arms, 4.10 gear.

  20. #20
    🤔 11s. blackbirdbrain89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hagerstown, mercersburg
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,844

    black trans am
    2000

    look up the centerforce dfx ... i run it and love it not to hard to drive does not chatter after break in.. and is 100% stretable and will hold 550-650 hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New Disc Clutch System News - What's New In Clutch
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 06:44 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
  3. Tranny, Clutch, or Clutch Hydraulic System?
    By IZNUTHN in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 07:13 PM
  4. clutch locks up 1st gear in traffic while riding clutch
    By Trixter in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 10:01 AM
  5. z06 clutch for sale, pressure plate clutch disk and flywheel
    By themack56 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 08:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •