Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Clutch?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Which Clutch?

To the guys that have driven various clutches I ask which clutch is a better one to drive. I was planning on going to a Spec like most people but I've recentely been talking to some people and they suggested that the spec is a little crappy to drive and has a lot of chatter. I know alot of people will say thats not true but I'm just going by what I've heard.

Well theres alot of other options out there and I'm just trying to figure out which ones are the best ones...

the traights I'm looking for

-no chatter
    -longer grab travel (not a racing clutch thats either grab or nothing)
    -stiffer pedal pressure doesn't bother me
    -must hold up to or slightly more then 500hp

thanks in advance guys.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

You've just explained the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel in your wants. It's a great clutch that'll hold up to over 500 hp. Love mine. grips really nicely real easy take-offs, but it'll grip like a SOB when you want it too.
    98 FORMULA 6Spd, Zr1 Wheels,
    224/228 .591/.591 113LSA Cam, LS6 Oil Pump,
    918 Valve Springs, Heads Milled .010",
    Ported TB, SD Tune, PaceSetter LT's/ORY,
    MagnaFlow Catback, Ls7 Clutch/Flywheel,
    Hurst Billet/Plus Sifter, BMR Rear Suspension,
    Eibach Pro-Kit
    365 RWHP 373 RWTQ

1989 Nissan 570SX

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    To the guys that have driven various clutches I ask which clutch is a better one to drive. I was planning on going to a Spec like most people but I've recentely been talking to some people and they suggested that the spec is a little crappy to drive and has a lot of chatter. I know alot of people will say thats not true but I'm just going by what I've heard.
    Well theres alot of other options out there and I'm just trying to figure out which ones are the best ones...
    the traights I'm looking for
    -no chatter
    -longer grab travel (not a racing clutch thats either grab or nothing)
    -stiffer pedal pressure doesn't bother me
    -must hold up to or slightly more then 500hp
    thanks in advance guys.
    agreed. their quality control is poorer than the others, and if you buy from a real name brand and still end up with a bum part, they'll back you up and send you a new one. get one of SPEC's many bum parts and they just call you stupid and tell you you're stuck with their junk.

just doing my part to hurt SPEC's image, if they have one left. they screwed me over.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

A ? for you. . . . . . . . You stated it must hold 500hp. . . . . . . . . Are you using nitrous of boost?
    I would highly recommend you stay away from Spec's also. I run McLeod in most all of the cars I build and or work on.
    http://mcleodind.com/application_gui..._GM_Parts.html

Also is the car going to actually hook or is it a street toy on rubber bands? I say that cause you could have 640hp but if your never going to hook that clutch will only need to transplant 370 because of traction issues.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    A ? for you. . . . . . . . You stated it must hold 500hp. . . . . . . . . Are you using nitrous of boost?
    I would highly recommend you stay away from Spec's also. I run McLeod in most all of the cars I build and or work on.
    http://mcleodind.com/application_gui..._GM_Parts.html

Also is the car going to actually hook or is it a street toy on rubber bands? I say that cause you could have 640hp but if your never going to hook that clutch will only need to transplant 370 because of traction issues.
    very good question indeed... the thing is I'm doing heads/cam and hoping for 460rwhp but I may get a shot of nitrous or even blower later on... I'll be getting Nitto's 555R's and won't be launching at anything higher then 3000 grand forsure regardless of tires...

if theres no reason to get a bigger clutch for that then I won't however I like playing it safe and getting things stronger then they have to be for the most part...

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    You've just explained the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel in your wants. It's a great clutch that'll hold up to over 500 hp. Love mine. grips really nicely real easy take-offs, but it'll grip like a SOB when you want it too.
    I wanted to stay away from LS7 clutches and what not because they are heavier...

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

I've been told from a very good source that RPS clutches although not very well known are excellent clutches... can anyone here vouch for them?

www.turboclutch.com

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I've been told from a very good source that RPS clutches although not very well known are excellent clutches... can anyone here vouch for them?

www.turboclutch.com
    Well looking @ their site the chepest they offer is $1095 for a dual friction single disc. . . . . . . . Here is something that is cheaper.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

But if your talking about spending a $1000 round about you would be dumb not to buy a McLeod Street Twin. They are the ones that developed the street twin set up in the 90's and everyone else has copied over the years as they update and improve.
    For $720 you can get the RST and use your flywheel. It uses a smaller pair of disc then the company your referring to uses a 10.5" disc's which means lighter also.

For $1619 you can get a Complete kit including the dual 9.5" discs,aluminum fly wheel,straped floater,billet master for clutch,and throwout bearing.

$1390 without the master.

That RPS's dual kit was $2295 and $2795.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

I take it you use Mcleod? have you tried more then one type of clutch?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I take it you use Mcleod? have you tried more then one type of clutch?
    Yes I use Mcleod in one of my 2 clutch cars I own. I have been in the drag racing scene for 16 years with my own cars and many years selling parts daily at speed shops so I have seen many of results. I also have been building cars for the last 8 years for customers.

So in short yes I have tried many clutches in drastic spread of cars.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

Yes I use Mcleod in one of my 2 clutch cars I own. I have been in the drag racing scene for 16 years with my own cars and many years selling parts daily at speed shops so I have seen many of results. I also have been building cars for the last 8 years for customers.

So in short yes I have tried many clutches in drastic spread of cars.
    well thats great... so you would recommend the Mcleod considering I'm looking for the best street friendly clutch available?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

well thats great... so you would recommend the Mcleod considering I'm looking for the best street friendly clutch available?
    When you say "street friendly" but you want it to handle 500+HP dependably. . . . . . . . I would say the double is the way to do. McLeod's street twin has less pedal effort than stock and can handle hot lapping on test and tune night's. And I'm speaking of grabbing 175-200 right out of the gate dumping the clutch @ 3000rpm and going right back up the return to the stagging and making another 10 second pass.

Unless you have 3.91's or 4.10's I would stay with a steel flywheel for the street. Your convertible is heavy and likes TQ for the street. So buy the Street Twin for $720 and you'll love it and it will last.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

When you say "street friendly" but you want it to handle 500+HP dependably. . . . . . . . I would say the double is the way to do. McLeod's street twin has less pedal effort than stock and can handle hot lapping on test and tune night's. And I'm speaking of grabbing 175-200 right out of the gate dumping the clutch @ 3000rpm and going right back up the return to the stagging and making another 10 second pass.

Unless you have 3.91's or 4.10's I would stay with a steel flywheel for the street. Your convertible is heavy and likes TQ for the street. So buy the Street Twin for $720 and you'll love it and it will last.
    do you have any opinions of the textralia street twin?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I would only go Mcleod, Textrailia, or Ram. I've had a Mcleod single disc Kevlar for like 5 or 6 years now. Prolly like 35,000 miles on it. Still holds 6000+rpm dumps on ET Streets.

Bright Red
    1999 Camaro SS

i have a tex oz700 and love it. Almost like stock feel. You can still ride it and when you want it is there. x grip is rated for 550 - 600 and z grip is rated at 700. I have the x

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    You've just explained the LS7 clutch It's a great clutch that'll hold up to over 500 hp.
    Where are you getting this from? I'd stay away from stock clutches if there's any track time in the cars future.

1989 Nissan 570SX

while we're on the subject of textralia, i just visited their site, and they have an aluminum slave cyl, and it's cheap, too. is this something unique to them or is it a rebranded OEM one? what's the deal? i would guess that the OEM one is AL, so i shouldn't be worried about it standing up to the task, and their clutches are very well-liked, so i wouldn't be afraid to try it. esp. for $100. any input?
    ~Jason
    2005 Acura RSX: Daily Driver duties
    1994 Toyota Corolla: the beater that just won't die!
    "Fast, Cheap, Reliable. You can only have two."

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

who here is running the LS7 clutch and LS2 Flywheel... I'd like to discuss some things with you...

White
    2001 Ws6

Ls7 clutch and ls2 fly wheel hands down...... i hade a spec stage 1 and hated it for a dd but loved it on the 1/4 mile!!!! just way too much chatter
    Patriot Stage 2 heads cam 228.228.581.581. 112 lsa, lts ory Magnaflow cat back, maf,full tune, LS7 Cluch w/ LS2 Flywheel,Pro 5.0,Slotted/Drilled Rotors,Subframe Connectors,Strut Tower Brace,panhard bar,lower control arms, 4.10 gear.

black trans am

look up the centerforce dfx ... i run it and love it not to hard to drive does not chatter after break in.. and is 100% stretable and will hold 550-650 hp

Thread Information