Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

Post Clicking from Rearend

I recently got a 2001 Camaro SS, it's in great shape and it's only got 25k miles. However, I took it out for a quick drive and for the first time noticed occasional ticking or clunking from the rearend. It's not very loud, and seems to be randomly slowing down or around turns. I'm having a tough time with this one, all I can think is maybe brakes because they don't feel very good when I hit the pedal. The clicking is throwing me off a little. Anyone had this problem before?

Also, while I'm at it. Anyone put in subframe connectors and notice a GIANT different in stiffness? I'm wondering if the sfc's are why this ls-1 rides so much stiffer than my lowered lt-1

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

You might want to change the rearend oil. Then add some new Royal purple in it (you will not need posi additive with Royal purple). Sounds like your posi additive is low.

Easy to do, Pull the 10 bolts off the back of the pumpkin (Be carefull oil will go everywhere) drain all the fluid out. Scrape the old gasket off. Then use rtv to make a new gasket. Put the cover back on. Then on your drivers side part of the houseing, there is a 3/8" drive plug. Fill it up with approx 3 qts of Royal purple until it starts to come out of the fill plug. put the plug back in, Then you are good to go.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 001CamaroSS View Post
    I recently got a 2001 Camaro SS, it's in great shape and it's only got 25k miles. However, I took it out for a quick drive and for the first time noticed occasional ticking or clunking from the rearend. It's not very loud, and seems to be randomly slowing down or around turns. I'm having a tough time with this one, all I can think is maybe brakes because they don't feel very good when I hit the pedal. The clicking is throwing me off a little. Anyone had this problem before?

Also, while I'm at it. Anyone put in subframe connectors and notice a GIANT different in stiffness? I'm wondering if the sfc's are why this ls-1 rides so much stiffer than my lowered lt-1
    That what SFCs do. I too have a knocking noice when I tun. People say its the possi but never told me if that is good or bad.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    You might want to change the rearend oil. Then add some new Royal purple in it (you will not need posi additive with Royal purple). Sounds like your posi additive is low.

Easy to do, Pull the 10 bolts off the back of the pumpkin (Be carefull oil will go everywhere) drain all the fluid out. Scrape the old gasket off. Then use rtv to make a new gasket. Put the cover back on. Then on your drivers side part of the houseing, there is a 3/8" drive plug. Fill it up with approx 3 qts of Royal purple until it starts to come out of the fill plug. put the plug back in, Then you are good to go.
    What kind of Royal Purple? Do they make a differential fluid?I know its a dumb question.

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

I am going to try it this weekend, hopefully it works. I don't want anything to be major to be wrong with it. Some other new parts comin in, lot's of work this weekend!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

This noise is normal and cant be fixed without ditching the Torsen posi for a different type. Called the "can of marbles" noise. Dont really see posts on it antmore cause it was accepted as normal like around 2001

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i have the same noise...when coasting or going down a hill i get a clunking,...my gears look perfect......the other day i was driving and heard a bad grinding noise and the clunking got louder so i drove right back to my house,...checked gears and fluid and both were perfect,....drove it again ..still get the noise but not as loud WTF is it??

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

I'm not sure I read something about a ratcheting noise caused from not torqueing something correctly. Only problem is I can't remember if it was the pressure plate or some type of back plate. I will check it again and post it. It's annoying because here I have my car that I love, but I can't show off while it's clanking around!

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

My ta has the same noise and has been doing it for 4 years now no problems other than the noise

NIUK! NIUK!..WOO!WOO!WOO! LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN's Avatar

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Crap i just read that thread and it said something about not adding Synthetic gear oil to an Auburn rear end. Well i just did my differential fluids today and used mobil-1 synthetic. Problem is i dont know if i have a auburn rear end or Torsen?...how do i find out?

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

If you've got a torsen it'll click, that's a good way! Kidding, I read through all of the receipts and build info from the previous owner, it has a torsen and the receipts show that he tried to have it fixed several times. Finally a dealer put a note that says all torsen diffs do this, so I'm convinced

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN View Post
    Crap i just read that thread and it said something about not adding Synthetic gear oil to an Auburn rear end. Well i just did my differential fluids today and used mobil-1 synthetic. Problem is i dont know if i have a auburn rear end or Torsen?...how do i find out?
    To find out what you have in your car, I believe you can jack it up. Spin the rear tires, if they go the same direction it's an auburn, if they spin opposite directions, torsen!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I believe only 98s got the Auburn, was an option on SSs, WS6s, and Firehawks afterwards.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

My 2000 WS6 with Torsen makes the same "clicking" sounds.

The parking breaks are the cause, for me. They become out of adjustment over the years, and they rattle. If I pull the e-brake slightly, I don't get any rattling or anything.

Maybe people with this problem should open up the brakes and check the rear drums...

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

I'm quite sure it's normal for my car to click, like I said the dealer installed a note after the third time the previous owner brought it in. This is why it's so good to keep reciepts!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Camaro

my 01 doesn't click.Bad u-joints will make clicking sounds sometimes.

Thread Information