Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Changing a rear end

This is a discussion on Changing a rear end within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 0rion man, sorry to hear about all your bad luck. What does it take to bend an ...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    man, sorry to hear about all your bad luck. What does it take to bend an entire rear like that? That new one sounds bad too. I think at this point your only way to make the best of the situation is to swap those insides over. I guess if you're looking for a silver lining you gained the experience of swapping a rear.
    I have no idea how that axle got bent. It was like that when I bought it up there are no signs it was ever in an accident. Someone suggested that it could've been done by a tow truck. I'm not sure.

I'm now seriously pissed. My mechanic wants $600 to rebuild the differential! He wants $200 for the kit and $400+ in labor. I don't know what in the hell I'm going to do. I know nothing about rebuilding a rear end, but I think everything from my other rear end is in good working condition. Other than the bend, the differential never have me any issues. Are there any stickies on rebuilding a differential?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Honestly you could probablly get away with directly swapping the gears into the new housing without messing with the pinion or carrier shims. You should keep the carrier shims (in the bent) on the same sides as they are now when you put them into the new housing. That should really get you close enough to drive it. Its been done before. The only stuff you'd need is a new pinion seal, crush sleeve, cover gasket, gear lube, and LSD additive. The one tough part you'd run into is getting the pinion bearing preload. You'll wanna use a 1/2 drive impact wrench to tighten the pinion nut. But you have to be really careful you don't overtighten it. It tightens up really quick as you approach the proper preload.
    It you don't think you can handle that then your best bet is to let someone else do it or find another rear end assembly to swap in.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Hey dude I just swapped out my 10 bolt for another 10 bolt and it took me about 6 hours...that write up they suggested sucks...i printed it out and looked at it maybe twice while doing the swap...your best bet is to hit a junk yard and try to find a used rear end. i got mine from Cleveland pick a part for $240...it might be worth a drive up there, i know Cleveland is about 6 hrs from Indianapolis. the actual store place is about 35min from downtown Cleveland. I'd check out their site (www.clevelandpickapart.com) they have a dozen or so rear ends for the 93-02 f body. also i dont think its as easy as just swapping the gears, you need to balance and have special tools for measuring, the slightest miscalculation can totally fuck your shit up. good luck dude hope it gets fixed soon i know what its like to have a crippled bird in the driveway

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I'm either going to roll the dice and buy another used rear end or I'll be taking it to a local shop to spend $600 for a complete rebuild. I'm not gonna risk doing the gear swap myself and possibly ruin a rebuild kit and/or the gears while wasting diff fluid and gasket again. I'll keep you guys posted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information