carrier question

This is a discussion on carrier question within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a question about a carrier,so many people have different answers,hope i can get one thats right.I have a ...

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

carrier question

I have a question about a carrier,so many people have different answers,hope i can get one thats right.I have a 10 bolt from a 2000 camaro,3.08 factory gear.can i put a factory gm 3.42 gear on this carrier,i'm not talking aftermarket,but very low mile factory 3.42 gear set.so many people say yes,so many people say no.it would really bite the old rear end to have this thing tore down,out of the vehicle,& come to find out that for some reason or other that it wont work.hope someone has the correct answer,thanks.

No. GM stock carriers are either a 2 or 3 series carrier, difference being the pad that mounts the ring gear. A 2 series gear requires a 2 series carrier and a 3 series gear requires a 3 series carrier. The difference is all in the thickness of the ring gear. 3.08 ratio and numerically lower (2.53, 2.73 etc) are 2 series, while 3.23 and numerically higher (3.73, 4.10 etc) are 3 series.

So basically that 2 series carrier will not work with that 3 series 3.42 gear. However, the aftermarket does make 3.42 gears (and many other ratios) in your choice of 2 or 3 series.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

well, you could put a factory 3.23 gear on your carrier with a ring gear spacer. mr gasket usually makes the ring gear spacer. it comes with longer bolts as well.

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

I haven't seen anyone with the spacer for 7.5 10 bolt,I've been told its because it is centered up when the ring gear is installed on the diff.I know you can get them for 8.5 10 bolts,& other units,but jegs or summit say theres no such thing for 7.5 10 bolts.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

ditto... all the a.a.m. gm rears are built that way. 2, 3, and 4 series. none interchangeable. ring gear spacers = failure...eventually. problem being is that the ring gear centers itself on the od of the register machined onto the carrier. the ring gear spacer takes away this machined area, causing the gear to have to center itself by the bolts, not the carrier. the gear will usually have an excessive amount of runout in both depth and backlash. i seriously suggest a good quality carrier (not auburn) and professional install. the 7.5s arent the best to begin with so it really has to be right!!!

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

last question.whats the difference between the 2 carriers,is the pad that the ring gear rides on thicker or just moved to a different position on the carrier to get the gear closer to the smaller pinion.I understand that its not possible to get 1 single carrier to adjust(back & forth) from up to like 14 teeth pinion all the way to like 11 teeth pinion (adjusting backlash,moving carrier closer to or farther away from the pinion)just wondering what the difference is between the two carriers that allows this to be done.also,how do I tell them apart:you no like part #'s,or something that distinguishes the two apart.( I'm talking about torsen carriers)

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

if you stand the two side by side with the gear side bearing journal down, you will see a height difference where the gear mounting surface is. the the 2 series will be the lowest, 4 the highest. they move the ring gear in relation to the centerline of the pinion to compensate for the difference of the pinion gear diameter.

get rid of the 10 bolt, your wasting your time and money.

you need a 3 series carrier OR a thick gear set.The problem with using the 2 series carrier with the 3.42's is after proper shimming the axles will not be centered in the housing.You could buy custom axles

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

alright,i see whats happening here,i appreciate all the input.i believe the only way to go is with the thick gear ,thanks!

Thread Information