Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sebring silver
    2000 z28

Carbon fiber driveshaft

just would like to know any feedback on anyone who has one. I have the steel one right now with some 3.73's in back. Anyone notice vibrations gone after install or even slightly quicker ET's?

could the 60' footer be better since its less shock on the wheels?

Am more than willing to fork out some dough if its good for my car
    2000 auto camaro
    13.54 @ 104 2.049 60' stock 2.73

12.94 @ 109 2.002 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 555r 2.73

11.899 @ 114.44 1.686 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 245/50-16 555r 3.73 moser 12-bolt 2800 fuddle, ls6 intake manifold, slp under drive pully,fiberglass hood, bmr k-member

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I dunno about FBodys....but on the GTO's the clearance betwen the shaft and the exhaust pipes ( close) caused the glue to melt and the driveshaft fibers started unraveleing. That sucked.

Black
    1993 3000GT VR-4

No F-body experience here, but i have an ACPT CFDS on my 3000GT. I love mine. It makes the drivetrain seem tighter.

They are supposed to take alot of stress off your drivetrain when launching because they twist a bit and take some shock load off your other parts... They also got rid of my 2 carrier bearings (reduce friction) and weighted about 20 pounds (stock ~80).

Some people on my platform said they had vibration but most dont. Ours are also a bit longer because our engine is transverse.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

my suburban has one from the dealer, apparently they had some problems with them and when the trucks would come in they would throw one on and call it fixed

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    my suburban has one from the dealer, apparently they had some problems with them and when the trucks would come in they would throw one on and call it fixed
    are you sure? i used to work at a dealership and we never once put a carbon fiber driveshaft in

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

yea, last time I was under there I noticed it and coldn't believe it. I talked to my boss about it, who worked at a dealership for about 8 years, and he said that they put a bunch on. If you were here instead of there I would offer to let you knock on it and look at it. At first we thought that someone had put some fake wrap around it for some reason, but we took it off to do the pinion seal and that sucker is light

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

sweet!!

sebring silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    yea, last time I was under there I noticed it and coldn't believe it. I talked to my boss about it, who worked at a dealership for about 8 years, and he said that they put a bunch on. If you were here instead of there I would offer to let you knock on it and look at it. At first we thought that someone had put some fake wrap around it for some reason, but we took it off to do the pinion seal and that sucker is light
    they just trow one on?....jealous..... one for my application is $795 at least

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I forget exactly what he said, it was a year or two ago. It was something along the lines of "the pinion angle does something odd, so instead of taking the labor to re-weld or shim th axle they just put a new drive shaft on that reduced the vibrations. He said that they only did it on the dealership level until GM as a whole decided on the fix that they wanted to impliment.

Red?
    2001 Z28

I had one on my '93Z. Vibration that existed with the stock d/s disappeared, and there was no problem with the glue melting. When I swap the S60 into my '01 car, I'll be switching to a carbon fiber d/s at the same time.

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

I am interested in this also. Anyone see any difference in dyno numbers or et by going to a carbon fiber DS?

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

yeah im interested in this as well... so bump... anybody know if there is a way to get around the exhaust heat.. like sheilding?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

I have worked at a GM Dealership (Chevy,GMC,Pontiac,Cadillac) for 15 years staight and have never heard of a carbon fiber driveshaft being used on any GM product.Solving customer's concerns is what I do.Real unlikely this was from GM.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I installed a ACPT? CF driveshaft on my TA in 2001. I did it after several swaps by the dealer for the ticking tin noises from the aluminum driveshaft. Plus, I felt it was a better shaft in general. I could have been convincing myself, but I felt that vibrations were less and the transfer of power felt more solid. I still have that on with a bunch of other mods and the driveshaft is solid, but it's just a driveshaft.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd stick with the steel one imo.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    I installed a ACPT? CF driveshaft on my TA in 2001. I did it after several swaps by the dealer for the ticking tin noises from the aluminum driveshaft. Plus, I felt it was a better shaft in general. I could have been convincing myself, but I felt that vibrations were less and the transfer of power felt more solid. I still have that on with a bunch of other mods and the driveshaft is solid, but it's just a driveshaft.
    how close does your exhaust get? got any pics?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I have the ACPT one, just haven't ran the car on the track yet with it. From what I've read about the better dampening and "un-ravels" before it breaks stories.....I decided the pro's were good selling points. Here's some pics:

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    I have the ACPT one, just haven't ran the car on the track yet with it. From what I've read about the better dampening and "un-ravels" before it breaks stories.....I decided the pro's were good selling points. Here's some pics:

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Very impressive setup Rich
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Silver

holy crap rich you save the day.. i wanted to make sure i knew someone who had one first... and its you!! but hey why do you have a ds loop with it? i heard you dont need a loop if its cf

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    holy crap rich you save the day.. i wanted to make sure i knew someone who had one first... and its you!! but hey why do you have a ds loop with it? i heard you dont need a loop if its cf
    He probably has it to comply with NHRA/IHRA rules for track purposes. Just an added precaution as well and it looks cool

I have a DS loop on mine right now, mostly for precautionary reasons and it looks cool. I don't really have the HP to be snapping a DS currently.

Thread Information