Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cant get out of park at times!!!!

This is a discussion on Cant get out of park at times!!!! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just looked at the schematic again and it looks like unplugging the solenoid will disable the shift interlock. The ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I just looked at the schematic again and it looks like unplugging the solenoid will disable the shift interlock. The solenoid needs power to lock the shifter button. It won't affect anything else either because it isn't tied into any computers or modules. Too easy!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I just looked at the schematic again and it looks like unplugging the solenoid will disable the shift interlock. The solenoid needs power to lock the shifter button. It won't affect anything else either because it isn't tied into any computers or modules. Too easy!
    That statement is a rarity with these cars. Glad it's a simple fix!

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

White
    1998 Z28

let me know if that fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    You are exactly right. I unplugged it and everything else seems to be working fine. Thanks for the insight on that Cutlass.
    I actually started the car just to make sure. First time I've had it running since summer last year, so it probably does it some good anyway

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

firebird jones.. how long did it take you to do the job.. did you have to take apart the entire center counsel or were you able to just take out the ash tray and disconnect the solenoid?

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    firebird jones.. how long did it take you to do the job.. did you have to take apart the entire center counsel or were you able to just take out the ash tray and disconnect the solenoid?
    Took about 5 minutes. I removed the top of the console. Pull up the little change holder inside the console. Underneath are a pair of 7mm screws. Remove those and the top portion of the console pops up.

I put the shifter in neutral, and it gave me enough room to stick my hand in there to remove the plug.

I could see the plug through the ash tray,,,but there was no way I was getting my hand in there,,,lol. It's under the ashtray towards the driver side.

I figure if it causes any issues I could simply plug it back in, but I don't forsee that happening. Not sure when I'll be driving the car again though.

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks alot for the detailed feed back!! that sounds super easy and to think i was going to pay 100 bucks to have someone pull that wire!!!!! This is awesome.. I love this site more and more everyday lol

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Hey this happens to my 98 too!! Sometimes i just wiggle the handle and it pops into reverse, ill try to unplug this solenoid too and see if it works

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

good luck man im going to fix mine tomorrow and i will post to tell you how it all worked out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information