99 Firehawk

C-Clips and amount of play in axles, help.

I need to replace the passenger side axle seal and while i was there i had figured id do the drivers side to. Well im to the point of needing to pull out the c-clips. The drivers side came out fine i was able to push the axle in about a half inch and the c-clip just fell off.

The problem is the passengers side wont move in far enough. I can get it to move just enough so you can see the c-clip but it seems too be a 1/16 not enough. Ive trired hittin the axle with a wooden block and hammer to get it to move in. Ive tried prying the clip, nothing seems too work. Ive also allready removed the sensor.

Is this a common problem? Should i be able to move the axle in further? I was also thinking maybe the faulty seal could be holding up my progress. Any help is greatly appreacatied.

black
    2002 WS6

I am guessing that you have traction control. I don't so I don't how much help I can be, The best suggestion I have is to push the axle in and see where/what is stopping it. Try giving the axle a bit of a wiggle, it could be that the splines have worn down a created a ridge. If that is the case I would suggest getting a new axle.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

BFH is needed. Yes it is common for it to take some force to move.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    2002 WS6

I never needed a hammer to mine (02 WS6) why you would is beyond me.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Wear on the axle or even build up on the splines. What do you think your going to break an axle by giving it a good wack. . . . . . .

black
    2002 WS6

If you are getting any type of build up in a rear diff, something is seriously wrong. As for damage maybe not to the axle, but there are bearings, the splines on the carrier, the studs if you miss, the slips n the axle, what ever may be holding the axle from going in.

I would try having some one rotate and push on the axle first before breaking out the BFH. Some time all it takes is a little finess and a quick look.

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

if you have abs/tc =4 channel,you need to remove the sensor form the backing plate which will allow the axel to move in a little more
    my .02' Johnny
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

99 Firehawk

Thanks for all the input everyone. Ive got the S.O.B out now (6hrs later), it seems that the previous owner had either a shop or DIY wheel bearing job done. The problem was the bearing was the wrong one put in and wrong seal also. The bearing stoped about a 1/4" away from where it should have been. Which was not allowing me to push the axle in as far as i needed. But with a BFH, prybar, punch and 2 sets of hands i was able to knock the c-clip out and pull the axle.

Now ive cleaned and inspected the axle, its been damaged. Right where the old bearing was sitting its been chewed up (almost looks like a dog chewed on it) and created a bit of a groove the exact width of the old bearing. For this reason ive decied that i want to put in new axles. The other side is fine but why not replace both.

The new question is, How can i tell what size rearend i have or where can i find this information. Im looking at purchasing the Moser Axles, but they come in 2 different sizes, one for a 7.5" and one for a 7 5/8th" (7.625). Both are 32" long, one says its for application models with three channel ABS sensor (7.5), and im guessin the other is for all other applictions (7.625). Now the car has ABS/TCS, .323 gears, how do i know if its a 3 channel ABS sensor or not

black
    2002 WS6

Traction control cars are a four channel system.

Thread Information