Broken Tranny Mount

This is a discussion on Broken Tranny Mount within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have never replaced one of these...mine is ripped completely in half. How bad is it to install and which ...

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Broken Tranny Mount

I have never replaced one of these...mine is ripped completely in half. How bad is it to install and which one should I order? My car is an Auto.

Thanks
    Matt
    Last edited by TwistedSS; 01-01-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

My car is an M6, but I'm guessing the procedure is no different.

Replaces mine with an Energy Suspension mount, and it was like a 10 minute job with hand tools. Of course, I lifted the trany off the crossmember with one arm & swapped the mount with another. Getting a jack under the rear of the trans shouldn't make it much harder.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Just bought an Engergy Suspension tranny mount and a torque arm mount. I will install them when they arrive in a few days. Anything I should know?

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

It's a very simple job on auto's also. Unbolt mount from crossmember, jack tranny up off of crossmember, remove crossmember, replace mount, install crossmember, bolt member to mount, and your through.

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

There are a few good write-ups on the procedures on this forum, do a search and you'll get all the info you need.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

the torque arm mount will be difficult. the hard part will be to get the torque arm bracket off the tailshaft houing. you'll have to let the back half of the trans down as far as possible to clear the floorpan. once you get it off, you'll then need to grind off the rivets holding the factory bushing to the bracket halfs. put the bracket back onto the tailshaft. slip the new poly mount over the torque arm. then squeeze the outer shell around the mount. one thing i did to help there was grind some of the poly mount off at the top. this made it easier to slip the outer shell over it.

here's a pic of the torque arm mount on the trans while in the car. you'll notice the limited room.

here's a pic of the trans mount with the crossmember removed.

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula WS6

I just put a poly mount in yesterday. Mine isn't auto though.. M6.. still it was easy.. a few bolts and the old one is off. (after you secure the tranny with a jack) New one went in and torqued properly in place. Car responds better, shifts tighter and cleaner, and I don't have the dreaded "clunk" on the bottom of the car from the broken old mount.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks for all the help and quick response everyone!

I think i'll wait until I install headers and the exhaust is removed to install that torque arm bushing; seems it will be much easier.

Black
    1994 z28 lt1

Exclamation

Hi!, im new to the forum, but i just saw this topic and i was thinking that i might have a similar problem, i have a 1994 z28 and when im at a red light and press the gas all the way down, the car does like a big "clunk" sound beneath the armrest, i originally thought it was the transmission mount and that i had to replace it but it looked fine, so i ordered the torque arm bushing but i havent mounted it yet... just wanted to know what you all think is the prob before i start... thanks

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Camaroishz28 View Post
    Hi!, im new to the forum, but i just saw this topic and i was thinking that i might have a similar problem, i have a 1994 z28 and when im at a red light and press the gas all the way down, the car does like a big "clunk" sound beneath the armrest, i originally thought it was the transmission mount and that i had to replace it but it looked fine, so i ordered the torque arm bushing but i havent mounted it yet... just wanted to know what you all think is the prob before i start... thanks
    you prob won't be able to tell just by looking at it. Jack the car up and crawl underneath, Take both hands and bench press the transmission. If it lifts off the mount the you know your problem.

Black
    1994 z28 lt1

mmm i see, i was gonna lift the tranny once i change the torque arm bushing... but i guess ill just do both now... thanks, ill reply once i look underneath

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

A sharp chisel and a good ball peen hammer and the rivets come off the toque arm mount pretty easy. They are pretty soft metal.

White
    99Trans am

i will never forget when my tranny mount went out i was shittingbricks lol

Red
    94 Z28 Convertible

Clunking in Arm rest

Im 16 first of all and i dont understand much about cars. now for the problem.. I just bought a 94 Z28 convertible with an auto. trans. and when i take off from a stop i get a really hard clunk in the arm rest of the car. I have no clue what is wrong with the car. Earlier this year i change the trans. fluid and filter. I think its something with the trans but i have no clue. Any help any of you could give me would be much appreciated.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by 89iroc View Post
    Im 16 first of all and i dont understand much about cars. now for the problem.. I just bought a 94 Z28 convertible with an auto. trans. and when i take off from a stop i get a really hard clunk in the arm rest of the car. I have no clue what is wrong with the car. Earlier this year i change the trans. fluid and filter. I think its something with the trans but i have no clue. Any help any of you could give me would be much appreciated.
    Not much to it bro.

Black
    1999 Z-28 LS1

Just bought a 99 Camaro Z28, LS1 M6. Took it for a test drive, noticed the shifter coming up farther into the console, and the "banging" under the console. As soon as I bought it, and "stomped it", I knew it was the tranny mount. Now my question, the guy I bought it from stated that it came from the factory with an auto trans, and after he bought it 4 years ago, he had a performance shop in upstate NC and had the 6 speed installed. Will this affect what kind of mount I will need, or are they all the same?

thanks!

Black
    1999 Z-28 LS1

Well, spent the $96 at the Chevy dealership for the OEM mount, and only took 10 minutes to install. Below is what I took out today.......

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

if you don't change your motor mounts the tranny mount will break again soon depending how hard you drive.. ask me how I know..

Black
    1999 Z-28 LS1

I'm not driving it hard. I just needed to get the "banging" under my console taken care of. I am planning on replacing the engine mounts, and at the same time all the front end bushings.
    1999 Camaro Z-28 LS1 M6
    Cam, Heads, Exhaust

silver
    2000 formula

holy old thread batman

Thread Information