Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

Broken Posi! New ring and pinion break in time?

I was racing two nights ago against A c5 we lined up and launch, I slip the clutch perfectly and BANG I dont go anywhere. Well, it turns out that using the 150 and launching on a posi with 86,000 miles is not good. Took it to my guy and we tore the rear apart together. Damage report was that I blew out the posi (was loose anyway) This was one beat rear.
    Solution! I ordered a new Auburn 3 spline posi and a set of richmond 4.10's with an install kit. I cant wait to get these in! got the gears, posi, and install kit for $740.00
    Doing the install at my shop alongside my mechanic, he's a pretty cool guy. I don't have to tools to do the work myself so he lets me help him work to save me some $.

Although I have a track date THIS Sunday the 30th... I forgot to ask my mechanic about break in time... its not going to be done until Thursday or Friday. So im wondering what the break-in milage for gears are?

Also, My mechanic has richmond 3.73's in stock and he is trying to tell me that 4.10's even on a 6 spd will be to much of a pain in the ass for a daily driver. I do DD this car ALOT high monthly milage and some highway driving. He is telling me that with 4.10's i will hate DD and that i will never hook at the track anway (i use street tires).Should i return my 4.10's and use the 3.73's or what?? Im stuck
    Last edited by WinSomeLoseNone; 04-22-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    2000 Z28 m6
    Current Mods-GMMG catback-UMI Diamond SFC's-Pacesetter LT's-ORY-HSW Wet Shot-Pro 5.0-Rebuilt Race Trans-Spec3+-Pacesetter LT's-FRA mod-TBBypass-Whisper Lid-

99 Firebird Formula

That's such horseshit how people tell you that you can't hook on 4.10s.

When I added 4.10s, sixty footing low 1.9X's was so easy, if I didn't get that low then I must have really fucked up. My best 60' on a 4.10 was a 1.79, so all of those people who tell you that you can't hook up can just shut up.

4.10s is nice for a daily driver in an M6. It is more shifting yes, but the car feels a lot more fun.

Most gear companies recommend driving it right after the install (not beating on it) then letting the gears cool fully, then a few hundred miles of taking it easy to break it in afterwards. Depends though, you might want to call your manufacturer.

navy blue
    1998 trans am

i dont know i have about 500hp and its a pain in the ass with 373s in there i took them out because i kept twisting everything and breaking my 10 bolts so i put 342s back in 410s with be terrible if your going to add alot of horsepower to it if your stock or a little more i dont think it will be so bad

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

ok, I think I may go with the 3.73's. It is a DD and after heads, cam, and with the 150 shot ill be putting out a shiite load o HP

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

WOW. Just had this conversation too with my mechanic buddy. He said 4.10's will jerk you back and forth too much cuz you can't hold the foot pedal still. Every bump you hit will jerk you. Gas mileage will take a shit and you will shift way to much. I could see his point so I'm going 3.73's very soon.

Thread Information