Results 1 to 8 of 8

broke me rear

This is a discussion on broke me rear within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ok so listen my rear has been acting funny lately. weird sounds, grinding around turns, some hoping. This went on ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member NastyZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    15

    Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

    broke me rear

    ok so listen my rear has been acting funny lately. weird sounds, grinding around turns, some hoping. This went on for a few months and one night while racing i think the ring and pinion blew. the car in undrivable. does anyone agree when I say the diff is trashed? or could it be the diff plus other things

  2. #2
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by NastyZ28 View Post
    ok so listen my rear has been acting funny lately. weird sounds, grinding around turns, some hoping. This went on for a few months and one night while racing i think the ring and pinion blew. the car in undrivable. does anyone agree when I say the diff is trashed? or could it be the diff plus other things
    Sounds to me like its the differential itself, not the ring and pinion, based on the fact that you say it was hopping around turns. This indicates that the differential was binding up, and not allowing each wheel to rotate at its own speed. You have a Torsen diff in your car, which uses helical gears to distribute torque. The grinding sound you heard could have been the gears in the differential clashing, which would also cause your wheel hop issue, since the axles would be locked together.

    I would get it checked out asap, and don't drive it until its fixed. Driving with a trashed differential will only cause more damage, diffs are expensive enough, no need to buy an entire ring, pinion, and overhaul kit, plus labor, if you don't have to.

  3. #3
    Junior Member Rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    72

    Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds to me like its the differential itself, not the ring and pinion, based on the fact that you say it was hopping around turns. This indicates that the differential was binding up, and not allowing each wheel to rotate at its own speed. You have a Torsen diff in your car, which uses helical gears to distribute torque. The grinding sound you heard could have been the gears in the differential clashing, which would also cause your wheel hop issue, since the axles would be locked together.

    I would get it checked out asap, and don't drive it until its fixed. Driving with a trashed differential will only cause more damage, diffs are expensive enough, no need to buy an entire ring, pinion, and overhaul kit, plus labor, if you don't have to.
    X2

    It's an easy job and won't cost you too much to find out what has broken. Might even be a stub axle... but you won't know until you pull it out

  4. #4
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    If you can spring for it I would definately try and find a used diff off one of the LSx forums, if you have any doubt in the stocker. New gear and install kit plus a TA cover should solve the issue IMO.

  5. #5
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    If you can spring for it I would definately try and find a used diff off one of the LSx forums, if you have any doubt in the stocker. New gear and install kit plus a TA cover should solve the issue IMO.
    Not a bad idea.

    However, you can get a brand new Detroit Truetrac from either Jegs or Summit for $375, which is a damn good deal.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Age
    39
    Posts
    397

    Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not a bad idea.

    However, you can get a brand new Detroit Truetrac from either Jegs or Summit for $375, which is a damn good deal.
    Or a low milage rear for $150 and not have to worry about setting up gears.

  7. #7
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    True true ^^^^.

    All depends on your funds

  8. #8
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 02blkws6 View Post
    Or a low milage rear for $150 and not have to worry about setting up gears.
    You really shouldn't have to set anything up at all. The pinion itself doesn't need to come out, and if you put the shims back in the way they came out, the backlash should remain the same.

    However, its still definitely a good idea to check backlash after installation just to be sure everything is in spec.
    Last edited by Wesman; 12-30-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. rear defrost button broke
    By awoodby in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
  2. Rear End Broke?
    By ledesma54 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 08:40 AM
  3. Broke the GTO........
    By Stone in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
  4. Rear Hatch strut mount broke (fixable?)
    By Banshee1967 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 09:02 PM
  5. All rear axel studs broke
    By coupe00 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •