Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Breather or preasure release valve on rear end.. possibly causing leak?

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if any of you guys knew if the breather plug (Im not sure if thats what it is called... it sits on the top of the rear end) is suppose to have a hole at the top of it. A friend of mine looked at it and said that he didnt think it was suppose to have a hole at the top of it... anyone have a picture of one or know if it should or not... We found fluid on the ground but it wasnt coming from the pinion seal.. and a brake line was sitting on top of this piece that might have been causing the preasure to build up and possibly creating a hole or breaking the seal.. Any help would be much appreciated..
    ~Jehalin

rear end breather tube

Yes, it should have a hole. I had a leak as well and actually slightly "bored" out the tube so I could blow through it. No more leak.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Where was your breather leaking from? Do youthink that the brake line resting on the breather could cause the leak? and should it have a plastic seal that hold it in place.. mine seemed to be broken. Thanks alot

You can get a new breather tube from G.M. That is the easiest fix. My leak seemed as if it came from the pinion seal.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Well I just went to the muffler shop to weld some tipson and they noticed the leak and said it was coming from the yoke (which I just had replaced) do you think a clogged breather would cause it to leak from another place? When I opened the rear a few days ago the fluid was full. Was your pinion seal leak due to the breather tube or just a bad seal. I have had so much time and money invested into this rear end... I even took it to a dealer andthey replaced the yoke, seal, and crsu sleeve... and its still Leaking. It isnt wet round the seal but they shop guy said its probably only doingit when you drive on it and it slings it up cuz its on the ceiling and exaust pipe.. Thanks alot

replace the little plastic breather tube (blow trough it to se of it is open) and go from there. A stopped up one causes alot of internal pressure. I replaced the seal 4 times before I found it.

Thread Information