Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Break in period for gears?

I'm thinking of getting some gears next summer when I get the car back out. I'm thinking of 3.73 or 3.90 but i'll probably get 3.73 to keep the rpms down for when I "attempt" to get good mpg. There is a break-in period for gears right? how many miles do I have to go easy on her?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

typically they say break in period for gears is 500 miles, then change the rear fluid and you should be good to go...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    typically they say break in period for gears is 500 miles, then change the rear fluid and you should be good to go...
    Is it easy to change the rear end fluid on my own? Cuz I wouldn't have it changed when the gears go in (unless they have to) to save money. I would just do the fluid change after the 500 mile break in period. any recommendations on rear end fluid?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

it would get changed when you do the gear swap. its part of the price. they will drain, swap gears, reinstall, and add new fluid. you dont want to re-use rear end gear...

you could do it yourself, but if you dont have the tools, place, time, etc to do it, it wouldnt cost much to have a shop do it...

someone else will have to chime in on what brand of rear end fluid to use...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    it would get changed when you do the gear swap. its part of the price. they will drain, swap gears, reinstall, and add new fluid. you dont want to re-use rear end gear...

you could do it yourself, but if you dont have the tools, place, time, etc to do it, it wouldnt cost much to have a shop do it...

someone else will have to chime in on what brand of rear end fluid to use...
    Yea i gotcha. My friend knows a place where i can get them installed for $200 but i'll have to wait for spring. I'd like to do it myself cuz I don't trust shops

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Drive 15 minutes, Stop, wait at least an hour. Do that 3 times to heat Quench the gears. Then take it easy don't go over 60 mph for the first 500 miles and change your speed up. Then change your gear oil at 500 miles (I would suggest royal purple or red line 75w-90 no need for posi additive) then give her hell. Just my .02 worth, but do what ever the mfg recommends who you bought it from.
    Also do not waste your time and money with 3.73 gears on a 6 speed. I have 3.90's and should have gone 4.10's or even 4.30's. My rpms only went up around 300-400 rpm on the hiway. If your going to swap gears make it worth it.
    Also I wouldn't suggest a gear swap. Save your money for a Moser 9". the 10 bolt that comes stock is a pyle of crap. I am now saving for the 9" because I am afraid of running slicks.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 09-21-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Yea i gotcha. My friend knows a place where i can get them installed for $200 but i'll have to wait for spring. I'd like to do it myself cuz I don't trust shops
    Do not attept to do the gears yourself. It is a painstakeing task that is a pain in the ass if you have never done it before. Any wrong set up (On the backlash) will have castistrophic effects on your rearend and you will lose all the money you just put into it. Paying someone that knows what they are doing to install your gears is well worth your piece of mind. It is one of the the only jobs I would recomend paying for.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Do not attept to do the gears yourself. It is a painstakeing task that is a pain in the ass if you have never done it before. Any wrong set up (On the backlash) will have castistrophic effects on your rearend and you will lose all the money you just put into it. Paying someone that knows what they are doing to install your gears is well worth your piece of mind. It is one of the the only jobs I would recomend paying for.
    I meant to change the rear end fluid by myself. Which i'll probably end up doing after the first 500 miles. Looks like i'll get 3.90's... what's a decent brand to go with? how high will my rpms rise?
    I really don't have the money for a new rear end. They seem to cost about a grand or more. I'm a broke college student... getting new rims and tires and the gears & install is more than i can afford for the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I meant to change the rear end fluid by myself. Which i'll probably end up doing after the first 500 miles. Looks like i'll get 3.90's... what's a decent brand to go with? how high will my rpms rise?
    I really don't have the money for a new rear end. They seem to cost about a grand or more. I'm a broke college student... getting new rims and tires and the gears & install is more than i can afford for the next year.
    Don't do 390s you won't feel much of a difference. I recently had 410s installed and they are great. I only lost about 1mpg and I can still cruise 75mph at 2000rpms.

Thread Information