Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

black clutch fluid

I checked the resevoir for the clutch fluid and its all black. It's been like this for a while, i never had it washed out and replaced. Is this an easy thing to do? Is it bad that i've had it like this for over a year?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Mine was black as ink when I took the master cylinder and line out of the car to do the slave line drill modification. I think the black comes from the rubber parts in the master cylinder and hose. It didn't do any harm but I flushed it clean while bleeding the system. I haven't looked to see if it has gone back to the way it was.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes it's a bad thing.........It needs to be flushed.....It uses brake fluid..... Which absorbs moisture and goes bad!!! You might actually gain better clutch action from the slave with fresh fluid and a bleed....
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

how to i go about flushing it and replacing the fluid. I already have the dot 3 brake fluid.

I guess your question about it being an easy thing to do hasn't been answered. It's not simple as pie but not setting backlash for rear gears either. You can bleed the master cylinder by disconnecting the line at the bell housing. You should get the clutch line tool for removal. This simplifies the job considerably. The tool is around $5. As for bleeding/flushing, you would either need a power bleeder or someone to press the clutch while you depress the checkball at the end of the line. Release the checkball and someone releases the clutch. Check/fill fluid and go again until all is clean. With a power bleeder you will only need to press the check ball until the fluid coming out is clear. The hydraulic line then just snaps back into place.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Alright, i'll try to get it done. The cars gonna be put away real soon for the winter, i'm sure i'll have plenty of time then.

Thread Information