Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bidding my rear adieu!

This is a discussion on Bidding my rear adieu! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po That's Bob's car. What guy are you referring to? Cant be Bob, he is a super ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    That's Bob's car. What guy are you referring to? Cant be Bob, he is a super nice guy. Always takes time out to answer questions, help you out etc.

By the way you talk about aluminum DS's, its easy to mistake you as badmouthing them, or degrading them. The fact is, they are lighter, and will take less power to turn. Breaking a PST is unheard of. The 3.5" to 3.0" is hardly anything. I run a 4" pipe right next to this DS. With the suspension loaded, there is plenty of room. Talking .25" extra on each side, not very much.
    Yes Bob. I just can't stand the way he chimes into every thread and tries to sell that damn ds. Same with the UMI guys there. As for the weight issue, I went from my stock aluminum piece to a custom solid steel one ($300), didn't notice any difference. I have read of people complain about the 3.5' ds using certain driveshaft loops.Glad it works for you tho.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Yes Bob. I just can't stand the way he chimes into every thread and tries to sell that damn ds. Same with the UMI guys there. As for the weight issue, I went from my stock aluminum piece to a custom solid steel one ($300), didn't notice any difference. I have read of people complain about the 3.5' ds using certain driveshaft loops.Glad it works for you tho.
    Ah, I have heard about people having to "modify" their loops. Don't remember what brand though. I forgot to put mine back on last time, so I cant comment on that. We all have opinions on other people, I can respect that. But, remember they are paying a premium price to sponsor a board. It would be foolish not to push your product as much as possible. How I view it anyway

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I will also vouch for Bob at EPP being a super nice guy and handling any questions and complaints for that matter in the utmost timely and professional manner. He's a good guy IMO. Dealt with him, and his small crew quite a bit last year.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Spohn is a sponsor on that board to but you'd never know it cause UMI pushes their stuff like nazi's there.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Lets get back on topic

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I started my day with a little rough carpentry project. In order to measure my pinion angle, I am going to need the car on its wheels with the suspension loaded. This isn't possible on a two-post lift, so I knocked these together out of some scrap lumber from the local building supply company:

On the car, I installed the rotors and re-assembled the brakes. The brake lines had to be tweaked just a bit, but lined up better than I expected considering the difference in the housings and the modified brake brakets. The springs were re-installed and the lower shock mounts and lower control arms are now torqued to spec. It took some more figuring, and three more holes, but I was able to run the parking brake and ABS/TCS wire harness essentially in its stock location.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

*whispers to self...SO CLEEEEEAN!!!*

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    *whispers to self...SO CLEEEEEAN!!!*

I have been scrubbing and painting as I go. Part of the reason this project is taking me so long.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Its looking great Jeff

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Its looking great Jeff

Thank you. Another night or two and it should be all done, except for the driveshaft.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

damn jeff,your car exceptionally clean underneath. what torque arm is that? oh crap, i hope i didn't start a torque arm arguement now.lol

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    damn jeff,your car exceptionally clean underneath. what torque arm is that? oh crap, i hope i didn't start a torque arm arguement now.lol

Thanks. It's a UMI tunnel mount.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    When I measured, it appeared that the Moser 12 bolt was about 1" longer than the 10 bolt (measured from axle centerline to u-joint centerline). I am going to try to get the car back on its wheels this weekend so I can see where the yoke will be with the driveshaft in position.
    i wonder since i'm using my stock aluminum ds, that since there is a rear end length difference may be the cause of why i get a thumping sound in the trans just on causal deceleration. anyone else have this issue? it's driving me crazy how loud the thumping sound is. trans mount is new and isn't moving at all. i got new solid motor mounts. everything is stiff as is can be other than the bushings in the torque arm and rear LCAs. they're in good shape, not worn, just aged. umi torque arm is 1 year old.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    i wonder since i'm using my stock aluminum ds, that since there is a rear end length difference may be the cause of why i get a thumping sound in the trans just on causal deceleration. anyone else have this issue? it's driving me crazy how loud the thumping sound is. trans mount is new and isn't moving at all. i got new solid motor mounts. everything is stiff as is can be other than the bushings in the torque arm and rear LCAs. they're in good shape, not worn, just aged. umi torque arm is 1 year old.

With the car on its wheels, what is the distance between the head of the driveshaft yoke and the back of your transmission? I have yet to set my car back on its wheels, but it looks like I may need a shorter driveshaft.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

i'm getting ready to go install the much needed relocation brackets later today. i'll let you know all the measurements. i've been on the phone with many techs and no one yet has been able to verify why this thumping is happening.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If you're using a tunnel mounted torque arm, that's where the thumping is coming from. Pretty common issue with these.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    If you're using a tunnel mounted torque arm, that's where the thumping is coming from. Pretty common issue with these.
    thanks, but i've isolated this to the driveshaft. the torque arm isn't moving. paint tells all.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

thanks, but i've isolated this to the driveshaft. the torque arm isn't moving. paint tells all.
    What is it hitting on?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I started my day with a little rough carpentry project. In order to measure my pinion angle, I am going to need the car on its wheels with the suspension loaded. This isn't possible on a two-post lift, so I knocked these together out of some scrap lumber from the local building supply company:

Click for full size

On the car, I installed the rotors and re-assembled the brakes. The brake lines had to be tweaked just a bit, but lined up better than I expected considering the difference in the housings and the modified brake brakets. The springs were re-installed and the lower shock mounts and lower control arms are now torqued to spec. It took some more figuring, and three more holes, but I was able to run the parking brake and ABS/TCS wire harness essentially in its stock location.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Woooooooooooooooooow!!!! I do want! Your leaving Preston in the dust! By being so clean of course

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Woooooooooooooooooow!!!! I do want! Your leaving Preston in the dust! By being so clean of course

Thanks, but I think Preston's car is probably still about 5 magnitudes of clean ahead of ours. I swear he keeps his in a vacuum sealed chamber and Photoshops in the backgrounds for his pics.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-24-2015, 10:18 AM

Thread Information