Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Beware of Moser!

This is a discussion on Beware of Moser! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by xmarkx I want to give a huge thanyou for all of you guys sharing your horror stories. ...

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    I want to give a huge thanyou for all of you guys sharing your horror stories.
    I am about 2 paychecks away from having enough money to get a new rear and I already had an online order sheet filled out on moser's website. no way in hell am I buying a moser rear now!
    I'm glad someone is getting something out of this. Don't know which type of rear you have your heart set on (12 bolt, 9 inch, dana) But If you really want a Moser to save some coin, you are better off with a 9 inch.
    As long as it's assembled correctly, it should be quiet and last the life of the car. No worries that I've seen with poorly cast housings on the 9 inch. Although I still gripe over the homemade suspension brackets and the lack of brake line clips.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    If their casting prcess is wrong, it should effect all 12 bolts. Again, many people have no problem at all with them.
    See previous post, I'm not typing all that again. And yes, in affect if they didn't correct the problem that I brought to their attention 10 years ago, then it would affect all of their 12 bolt castings. They are the only manufacture that casts all their 12 bolt housings "in house". The other manufactures go elsewhere, and their is a huge difference in quality.

This flaw probably wouldn't affect durability, it has lasted in the race car that I sold it to. But it did affectively kill the gear pattern and made accessive gear noise. Something that isn't acceptable in a street car as far as I'm concerned.

If your rear is making any sort of gear noise,,and you are certain it was set correctly, then I'm willing to bet Moser is still casting the housings the same way.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    See previous post, I'm not typing all that again. And yes, in affect if they didn't correct the problem that I brought to their attention 10 years ago, then it would affect all of their 12 bolt castings.

This flaw probably wouldn't affect durability, it has lasted in the race car that I sold it to. But it did affectively kill the gear pattern and made accessive gear noise. Something that isn't acceptable in a street car as far as I'm concerned.

If your rear is making any sort of gear noise,,and you are certain it was set correctly, then I'm willing to bet Moser is still casting the housings the same way.
    Well, like I said, no noise here. I guess I got the one good unit.

Black
    00 WS6

I bought a Moser 9" for my old 93 T/A and I had a problem with the aluminum case leaking. I had to have the gasket changed several times before it stopped leaking...Moser's customer service was NO help at all. The rearend performed well, but I had to deal with a leak for about six months.

Black
    97 firebird WS6

It's not so much that they break. It's the quality of the parts, their assembly techniques, and their customer service.

I'm willing to bet you are talking about 9 inchers too. That's an entirely different animal.
    You don't have the completely redesigned casting like you do with a torque arm 12 bolt design. The 9 inch is a simple sheet metal housing and the center sections have been reproduced in the aftermarket for 40 years. So you really don't have alignment issues with gear sets. There was no need to recast them, the torque arm mounts are a simple add on bracket system for the 9 incher.
    The whole problem with Mosers 12 bolt was the fact that the center housing (that Moser casts in house) was not cast properly, the bearing caps were out of alignment. Evidently their quality control is not up to snuff,,,,or they simply allow that much error in their casting process, I don't know. But it's simply not acceptable to me.
    Exactly, the QUALITY is sub par and the customer service is Horrible!!!!!!!!!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    .Moser's customer service was NO help at all.
    That would be my main concern about buying one of these rears. It sounds like if something happens to them, Moser will just leave you out to dry

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

i purchased there 9" and they forgot the seals called them up and had no problems had new seals sent out for free? like said before ya got your good ones and bad ones, and customer service is all about who your on the phone with.

Black
    97 firebird WS6

Trust me they will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black
    97 firebird WS6

Quote Originally Posted by devildogws6 View Post
    i purchased there 9" and they forgot the seals called them up and had no problems had new seals sent out for free? like said before ya got your good ones and bad ones, and customer service is all about who your on the phone with.
    I agree with your customer service comment in general for most companies; HOWEVER, I spoke to most of the Moser guys and they All did nothing for me.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

ahhh...well sorry to hear that man. that is bs

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

12 bolts Moser here going on 4 years no issues. Track raced,cam,4000 converter,3.73's True-Trac. 1.5xx 60' at launch. I have had excellent customer service from them. I had backing plate bolts back out on mine. This was not a Moser issue this was an install issue. I was missing a few and called Moser. They sent me a new set of 8 at no cost to me period. I would recommened them to anybody I know. The reason why quality build and excellent service.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    12 bolts Moser here going on 4 years no issues. Track raced,cam,4000 converter,3.73's True-Trac. 1.5xx 60' at launch. I have had excellent customer service from them. I had backing plate bolts back out on mine. This was not a Moser issue this was an install issue. I was missing a few and called Moser. They sent me a new set of 8 at no cost to me period. I would recommened them to anybody I know. The reason why quality build and excellent service.
    I've heard more of this^^^ Than negative. that's why I went with them.

Black
    99 SS

It's not so much that they break. It's the quality of the parts, their assembly techniques, and their customer service.

I'm willing to bet you are talking about 9 inchers too. That's an entirely different animal.
    You don't have the completely redesigned casting like you do with a torque arm 12 bolt design. The 9 inch is a simple sheet metal housing and the center sections have been reproduced in the aftermarket for 40 years. So you really don't have alignment issues with gear sets. There was no need to recast them, the torque arm mounts are a simple add on bracket system for the 9 incher.
    The whole problem with Mosers 12 bolt was the fact that the center housing (that Moser casts in house) was not cast properly, the bearing caps were out of alignment. Evidently their quality control is not up to snuff,,,,or they simply allow that much error in their casting process, I don't know. But it's simply not acceptable to me.
    My. Bad yes we are both runninh the 9" I should of made that known but im on my cell so typing is limited

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    That would be my main concern about buying one of these rears. It sounds like if something happens to them, Moser will just leave you out to dry
    That they do. And since I had my problems years ago with them and decided to wash my hands from them, this more recent issue with 97Ramair sounds like Moser is still up to their old bag of tricks. Nothing changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    My. Bad yes we are both runninh the 9" I should of made that known but im on my cell so typing is limited
    My hats off to ya for connecting to the internet and typing with a phone. I'm impressed.
    I'm lucky to just answer and dial out on mine,

Black
    99 SS

My hats off to ya for connecting to the internet and typing with a phone. I'm impressed.
    I'm lucky to just answer and dial out on mine,

yea im not very good at it since i got this new phone, but back on topic, yes i have heard the horror stories of the 12 bolt's from them thats why i went with the 9"

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I will say that the brackets and hardware on my 12 bolt were nicely done. Very clean, good looking welds, and everything fit like it should:

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I will say that the brackets and hardware on my 12 bolt were nicely done. Very clean, good looking welds, and everything fit like it should:

Click for full size
    I see they are still making their homemade brackets, and still no brake line tabs.
    If you compared that to a Strange 12 bolt and the factory style brackets and tabs they use, you would instantly see the difference.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I see they are still making their homemade brackets, and still no brake line tabs.
    If you compared that to a Strange 12 bolt and the factory style brackets and tabs they use, you would instantly see the difference.

If anyone has pics of a Strange 12 bolt I would be interested in seeing what the difference is. I agree, no tabs for the brake lines was a bit of a surprise. I was going to make a set and tack weld them on to the axle tubes, but then after looking at how short the runs were decided a zip tie would work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If anyone has pics of a Strange 12 bolt I would be interested in seeing what the difference is. I agree, no tabs for the brake lines was a bit of a surprise. I was going to make a set and tack weld them on to the axle tubes, but then after looking at how short the runs were decided a zip tie would work just fine.
    Ya every shop I've seen does zip ties. My opinion it's kinda cheesy. I make my own brake line tabs and spot them onto the axle tubes, just looks as it should and really isn't that much effort. I just copy the design off the factory rear. They obviously won't go in the stock locations on the 12 bolt, so I place them where I think the factory would, or where the lines could use support.

As far as the pic, I still have a spare strange 12 bolt bare housing here I might be able to snap a pic of. It's covered in the corner under a pile of other crap from moving out here 2 years ago

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information