pewter
    01 trans am ws6

best gear brands need help asap

okay i need your guys opinon i have motive 3.90's in my car and a rebuild kit they were installed wrong. horrible experience i had. they whined so so loud i can hear metal against metal sound also something wasnt right. but anyways i got my money back they knew they messed up so im putting new gears in. this time im having a good shop that is well known do it. i want 3.90's but motive only makes them for our stock rear ends. i read that they whine a little that wouldnt bother me if its not that bad. but if its insane like these are i dont want em.. so what brands all are good. motive? gm performace? ect. shop offers gm performace are they any good? please help and give me advise as soon as possible i need my car back up and running this week or next week.. its my DD

thanks

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I had Motive performance in my old 10 bolt (3.90's) and now my 9" (4.30's)Never any issues. All aftermarket performance gears (especially when you go steeper in gear ratio) will whine a little. It's just the nature of the beast. If you want to play your going to have to pay a little. If you want a quiet ride buy a Toyota.

the 10 bolt is notorious for having whine when swapping out gears, The case of the rear tweaks, especially on hard takeoffs and the crappy torque arm can't handle the torque. It enevitably causes gear whine no matter how good a shop can put em in.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 08-06-2008 at 05:54 PM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

I installed 3.73 AAM gear into my 10 bolt, quite as stock 3.23, would use AAM again
    Johnny
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

i dont care to have silence i meant roaring louder then my exhaust or cant even talk or listen to your radio cause the whine is so loud. whining a little wouldnt bother me at all. the gears were put in wrong so i dont know what they would sound like if put it right if u kno what i mean. i wouldnt want to drive anything besides a trans am its my 2nd one. jus need some advise on what brands ect.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

What about gm performace gears? im thinking with going with their 3.73 gears till i get my 9' rear end. heard they are quiet. what do you all think?

black
    2002 TA WS7

sorry to highjack ur thread but i gots a question also. im goin to upgrade to a 3.73 soon and was wondering what the difference is between motives and strange? thunder racing want 35 extra bucks for the strange gears.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
    sorry to highjack ur thread but i gots a question also. im goin to upgrade to a 3.73 soon and was wondering what the difference is between motives and strange? thunder racing want 35 extra bucks for the strange gears.
    Can't go wrong with either. I say save $35 and get the Motives

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

anyone? about getting 3.73 gm performace gears???

black trans am

gm gears are weeker the motive but they have to be quiter my motive suck balls i just drove 4hrs non stop on mine and ther not to bad till i was on the hight way 3hrs after that they heat up and make so much noise it not even funny

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    gm gears are weeker the motive but they have to be quiter my motive suck balls i just drove 4hrs non stop on mine and ther not to bad till i was on the hight way 3hrs after that they heat up and make so much noise it not even funny
    From what I have seen about GM 10 bolt gears is that the GM gearset is the strongest of any. In fact the aftermarket gears are 7.5" the GM are actually an 1/8" larger. The GM gears also tend to be some of the most expensive. With that said it is still a 10 bolt, and they just don't handle alot of abuse reliably compared to a different rear.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

im putting them in just for time being. its my dd so i can get back and forth to work after a few months im getting a moser 9' rearend. so this is just for the the time being. the place im getting them installed is around 30-35min drive away from my place.. for break in period will it be okay to drive home and let it sett and cool down till the next day that i can drive it back and forth to work each day which is a 25min one there?

10's N/A

I use Moser Pro Street 3.70 gears in a 9". Good quiet gears and race proven. I've also used Motive, SLP (which I think were made by AAM?), and Richmond gears. All good gears, with the Richmond's being the noisiest.

Thread Information