Black
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Bellhousing won't come off!!!

I've got my trans dropped and out, and all the bolts surrounding the bellhousing removed, but the SOB won't come off!!!! Am I missing something? I tried to pry with a screwdriver at the bottom, but was weary because i didn't want to force/damage anything. I also gave it a few solid whacks with a rubber malet....no luck. Any ideas???? Please help. Thanks.

-Slevin

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

Don't give up! I had the same problem with mine. I soaked the pins at three and nine o'clock with PB Blaster. One of the pins stayed with the engine, and one stayed with the bell housing. I didn't do any serious work on my car until this year. It kind of corroded together over the years since I bought the car new in '98. One side or the other will "give" and then just keep working at it. I was careful not to pry too hard although it really wasn't a worry since I installed a new engine and trans in my car.

Black
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
    Don't give up! I had the same problem with mine. I soaked the pins at three and nine o'clock with PB Blaster. One of the pins stayed with the engine, and one stayed with the bell housing. I didn't do any serious work on my car until this year. It kind of corroded together over the years since I bought the car new in '98. One side or the other will "give" and then just keep working at it. I was careful not to pry too hard although it really wasn't a worry since I installed a new engine and trans in my car.
    I gave up for tonight....I only tried for a few minutes on the bellhousing, I moved to my trans to get the tailshaft off. That was pretty simple ) I'll give it a go tomorrow, I have some Deep Creep that i'll load it up with and hopefully that will assist in getting the damn thing off. Mine is kinda the same situation as yours (minus the new engine), it's never been off and I bought mine new in 2001. It's been sitting for about 3 years and I just got the bug to fix it

-Slevin

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

I know about that, the bug, that is. I've been talking about doing this work for a couple of years. Family and other events got in the way. I put my car up on ramps (all four tires) last August. I was disconnecting the small stuff and didn't get serious with the engine and trans until March/ April of this year. I have the new engine and trans bolted in. Now I see all these other small items I want to take care of. I just received the four Bosch oxy sensors that I ordered from Autozone today. I'm still working on painting the radiator mounting area, the sway bar, and associated brackets with POR15 Chassis Black. I'm close now...071111 003.jpg
    I included pics of the little clips that attach the electrical plugs to the frame. Part nos. 12186353 and 12084149. They're expensive, but I broke mine when I was disconnecting stuff to pull the engine/ trans. It's nice to work with the correct parts and put the wiring in the original positions without it coming loose.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

The clips...

Thread Information