Thread: Bad Vibration

Pewter
    2001 Firebird Trans Am

Bad Vibration

I got an 01 TA with a 6speed. I was driving about 40mph in 4th and out of no were the car started vibrating all over real bad. It only does it when you give it gas. Its not miss fireing, I was thinking the transmission mount broke, but I checked it and it looked fine, the (what they call) cat. hanger bolts were missing and was bent over and had a huge crack in it. It bolts from the transmission to the exhaust. I wouldnt think this would handel such a load as the vibration I was feeling. I also thought it might be the rearend but i didnt hear any unusual noises on the way home. It is getting close to the end of its life time though. The car has 418rwhp and im in the process of upgrading the rearend when funds arise.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

make sure you dont have a loose wheel. also check the clutch to make sure all the bolts are still in it and the fly wheel looks tight. other than that IDK.

Pewter
    2001 Firebird Trans Am

Well I dont want to take the whole trany out just yet. I will keep that in mind if I cant find the problem else were. I was thinking it might be the pinion bearing. I dont know much about rear ends.

Red
    2001 ws6

tie rod????? im drunk haha

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001TransAm View Post
    Well I dont want to take the whole trany out just yet. I will keep that in mind if I cant find the problem else were. I was thinking it might be the pinion bearing. I dont know much about rear ends.
    you don't have to do you? there should be an inspection cover there that you can see the clutch bolts and pry lightly on the flywheel. I don't have a6speed but if there is no inspection cover I would be shocked.

Pewter
    2001 Firebird Trans Am

There isnt an inspection cover. The only way I can look up in there is threw a 1/4 inch by 1.5 inch slot at the bottom. Also the vibration only happens under load, so I dont think its the clutch because it is engauged w/and w/out vibration. I pulled the drive shaft to check the ujoints and weights, they are good. (gona replace ujoints anyway) Checked the pinon for play, it was tight. So I dont know, I think im gona start the car with the rearend in the air and see if I can simulate the problem. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by 2001TransAm; 10-27-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I got an 01 TA with a 6speed. I was driving about 40mph in 4th and out of no were the car started vibrating all over real bad. It only does it when you give it gas. Its not miss fireing, I was thinking the transmission mount broke, but I checked it and it looked fine, the (what they call) cat. hanger bolts were missing and was bent over and had a huge crack in it. It bolts from the transmission to the exhaust. I wouldnt think this would handel such a load as the vibration I was feeling. I also thought it might be the rearend but i didnt hear any unusual noises on the way home. It is getting close to the end of its life time though. The car has 418rwhp and im in the process of upgrading the rearend when funds arise.
    '01 T/A, this same thing happened to me the other day right after filling up my tank with gas. I would accelerate, and it would jump and vibrate....I would push in the clutch and it would stop jumping naturally, but then it started acting like it wanted to die on me, so, I would give it gas and it would rev, but when I let out the clutch, it would jump and die out, jump and die out,....almost like I was giving it gas, then letting off, giving it gas, then letting off, but much quicker.....hard to explain....almost like a misfire but not really. I pulled it into the bank where I was going, let it idle, turned it off, went into the bank, then about 15 minutes later, came back out and started it, and it idled smoothly and took off smoothly. I thought that it may have been water in the gas since it started happening immediately after I filled it up. The same thing happened to me on my way back from Knoxville...it was raining Rhino's and Elephants.....that's a whole bunch more than cats and dogs.....and it started doing the same thing, almost detonating, not really missing but not running like it should, almost like it was being starved for air.....I would press on the accelerator, and practically no response, almost like it was retarded in timing.....hard to explain. There again, I think it was just taking too much water laden air into the intake and too much water vapor was going into the engine. That may be what happened in your situation. Has it done it again since that time?

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Does this occur while your car is stationary and you give it gas? Just trying to clarify. If so, you can you get it up on some ramps and have a friend give some gas while in neutral? May help track down where it's coming from.

Pewter
    2001 Firebird Trans Am

I dont think its quite the same situation as yours (herculesrider1) It was sunny out when this happend and I didnt fill up with gas just befor. It havent tryed driving it sense. (Chuckie-That is my plan today, after I put some new ujoints in it and pull the starter to see if I can see anything wrong with the clutch. I doubt it because its a Spec stage 3, but it could have a manufacture defect, who knows.

silver
    97 e36 m3

what type of clutch? full disk,6 puck,4 puck....ect ?
    I have a freind that has a 490rwhp 240sx and what your saying sound's just like what his was doing...
    his would do it around 50 to 55 and only do it under load and quit as soon as you pushed in the clutch...
    and it turned out one of the puck's on his 6 disk had come apart and all we found where small peace's of it in bellhousing...
    he was running a ACT performance 6 puck unsprung clutch.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I am pretty sure that the Spec Stage 3 is a 6 puck.

The Spec Stage 3+ is a full disk.

Pewter
    2001 Firebird Trans Am

Yeah, it is a 6 puck. I pulled the diff and found that the the gears were worn very badly. ring and pinion should have .002 -.02 clearance. I had more like .2, also sense im new to messin with differentials I thought that our cars had cone clutchs but turns out to have hexial or worm gears for LSD. Im planing on getting a Detroin Truetrac with 3:73s. Is this a good idea? Im just not ever going to be able to drop 3grand into a completely new rear end.
    Has anyone ever had a problem with a Spec stage 3 clutch?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yeah, it is a 6 puck. I pulled the diff and found that the the gears were worn very badly. ring and pinion should have .002 -.02 clearance. I had more like .2, also sense im new to messin with differentials I thought that our cars had cone clutchs but turns out to have hexial or worm gears for LSD. Im planing on getting a Detroin Truetrac with 3:73s. Is this a good idea? Im just not ever going to be able to drop 3grand into a completely new rear end.
    Has anyone ever had a problem with a Spec stage 3 clutch?
    I have the Stage 3+, which is the beefier upgraded one and I haven't had any issues other than some slight chatter on take off which I deal with. I've only put about 2-3K on it though.

Thread Information