Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

is it bad not to use clutch

This is a discussion on is it bad not to use clutch within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; understood.. i'll keep doing it the 'hard way'....

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

understood.. i'll keep doing it the 'hard way'.

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

damn this turned out interesting...... never said it held an advantage, just been doing it for awhile, and theres no reason to press on the gas to up the revs, your accelerating when going through the gears anyways so just let it fall out of gear, then "feel" for the next gear as the rpms are dropping......

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by jaslivers View Post
    damn this turned out interesting...... never said it held an advantage, just been doing it for awhile, and theres no reason to press on the gas to up the revs, your accelerating when going through the gears anyways so just let it fall out of gear, then "feel" for the next gear as the rpms are dropping......
    I guess it depends on how long you keep it in gear.

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

ya if you short shift you might have to bring the rpms back up.... it just takes a little practice to find what works the best.......... after reading this thread the past few days im using my clutch a little more often, just in case

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    If you can do it without any grinding or forcing the shifter, it shouldn't really do any harm, because that means you are matching revs perfectly.

Semi drivers do it on a daily basis, they only use the clutch to get the truck going from a standstill.

Floating the gears on a car with a single disc clutch is asking for trouble. first the flywheel can become unbalanced then you can grind out your syncronizers (those dont make any noise) The actual hard griding comes when the gear is grinding.

Semi drivers do it because our clutch setup is diffrent then a regular car's we typicially have an RPM range in where the syncros are in perfect alignent. Then again most heavy truks have 3+ clutch discs so its safe to float the gears.

Black
    2001 T/A M6

Cool

Yeah I do it occasionally myself, I've never grinded or missed a gear and usually only do it between 2-4th gears, but I also don't do it all the time. It's ok if your just cruising, but if you get going fast don't do it as you will probably grind a gear. Practice is the only way to get better at it and being one with your car

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

My next door neighbor has got a 82 foxbody with a crate engine and he tells me how he could smoke most cars out there because he can race the car without clutching. I got a 30 min lecture on how that's the proper way to race a car. Sofar I've only seen him squeel the tires leaving from our stopsign, so I'll reserve any further comment, but would like to see him back it up.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I work at Freightliner of Knoxville and clutchless shifts aren't harmful if they are done properly, but it is a rare person that could have that much consitancy of not grinding. Truck drivers have been doing it for a long time and the clutches only have two disc plates in them which does allow them to do it more easily. I know plenty of local owner operators who do it in their own trucks all the time because lets face it if you used the clutch through all 13 or 18 gears you would get tired of that real quick.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i do it a lot on upshifts in the lower rpm range. ...not in my car though.
    in trucks it's easier because of the narrow rpm range. either way, as already said it takes a lot of practice to do it right.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jaslivers View Post
    sorry my internet has been down....... ive been doing it in my yota truck for about two years and dont grind or force it into gear... truck has 191k, stock drivetrain... so cant hurt to much im guessing..... thanks for the help.. gonna detail it soon and get pics up

i've driven commercial trucks for years... it doens't harm anything if done right... some people say it wears syncros faster but there is no proof that i knwo of that it does... i some times do it in my car when i'm being lazy and driving slow...

Junior Member Acceleration Junky's Avatar

sunset metallic orange
    2002 Z28

I was just wondering why people are comparing apples and oranges? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but it's not very convincing that "truck drivers do it all the time, so it's ok."

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i've driven commercial trucks for years... it doens't harm anything if done right... some people say it wears syncros faster but there is no proof that i knwo of that it does... i some times do it in my car when i'm being lazy and driving slow...
    It shouldn't harm the synchros at all, because you're not actually using the synchros. If you can get it into gear without the clutch and without grinding, you have basically rev matched the gear perfectly, requiring no assistance from the synchronizers to match the speeds before the gear is engaged.

light grey
    1978 Volvo 242GT

Site...Computer Just Crashed...Now Back

What the F......K was that????? Everything just dropped dead here. And I have very good secret stuff.... UPS, spike protection, (EMP rated) etc..About 2000 hrs PDT 6 Oct, 2008

Now back on line. Lost everything there for about 1 minute. Anyone else? SW OR. Anyway, back to the topic of clutchless shifting.

Bad, bad idea. Eventually you will miss a shift. $Expensive$ things happen then. Don't do it. Use the clutch...always. That is what it is there for.

Duhh, some may ask. "What about sitting at a stop light"? Well, that is why they invented the NEUTRAL GEAR. Thanks.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post

Bad, bad idea. Eventually you will miss a shift. $Expensive$ things happen then. Don't do it. Use the clutch...always. That is what it is there for.

Duhh, some may ask. "What about sitting at a stop light"? Well, that is why they invented the NEUTRAL GEAR. Thanks.
    you still need to clutch for first gear... and you're not shifting at high rpms... missing a shift isn't going to do much damage unles you try forcing shit...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information