Red
    1999 Camaro SS

bad clutch or no traction??

So I'm new to the power of the LS1. Tonight I finally mustered the courage to get on it good and the thing is a beast!

Car has 49,000 miles on it.

But, I noticed on the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift that it either seems like the clutch is slipping, or there is a loss of traction. At partial throttle the clutch grabs hard on quick shifts.

My tires are virtually silent when they lose traction, and I was told by the previous owner there are 8,000 miles on the rubber (Fuzion ZRi's I think? forgot), and it looks like there is a pretty decent amount of tread left.

My question is, is the engine powerful enough to spin the tires a bit in the upshifts? I have never experienced power like this coupled to a 6spd before, ha. So I have nothing to fall back on.

All I know is this thing is balls-out fast!

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Poppn View Post
    So I'm new to the power of the LS1. Tonight I finally mustered the courage to get on it good and the thing is a beast!

Car has 49,000 miles on it.

But, I noticed on the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift that it either seems like the clutch is slipping, or there is a loss of traction. At partial throttle the clutch grabs hard on quick shifts.

My tires are virtually silent when they lose traction, and I was told by the previous owner there are 8,000 miles on the rubber (Fuzion ZRi's I think? forgot), and it looks like there is a pretty decent amount of tread left.

My question is, is the engine powerful enough to spin the tires a bit in the upshifts? I have never experienced power like this coupled to a 6spd before, ha. So I have nothing to fall back on.

All I know is this thing is balls-out fast!
    it definitely does. my lt1 a4 spins seccond and 3rd

Yes, fuzions are not screetchers. Great tire and very predicable on the corners. I have gone through about 8 sets on 16 inch rims.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Jeez this sounds so simular to what I'm experiencing. I'll get on hard in 1st, spin the tires nice enough to hear them, then I push in the clutch, shift to 2nd, floor the gas and pop the clucth out fast and expect the tires to keep/start spinning more but all I get is like weird 4000 rpm half way (maybe) clutch slip/dead silent tire spin/traction control/ rev limiter type feeling. I don't smell any burning clutch and I don't hear the tires, so I not sure whats going on??? Any one got any ideas.
    99 Formula WS6 M6

orange
    99 z28

slipping diff? mines slippin a little and it was hard not to spin em before it started slippin. my stock ls1 had the nuts to hit 2nd and take a huge smokey power slide goin like 40. thats insanity lol, you should light em up damn near whenever you tap the go pedal.

Thread Information