Axle question.

This is a discussion on Axle question. within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi all, I've read quite a lot about the standard 10 bolt axle and it does worry me a little, ...

Axle question.

Hi all,
    I've read quite a lot about the standard 10 bolt axle and it does worry me a little, especially as most if not all opinions think it's not worth wasting money rebuilding them. My car is an A4 which I understand to be less of an axle killer and at present, with the 10 bolt, I'm not planning to take it to the drag strip nor do I do hard launches, so hopefully this will preserve mine for a while.

I've done a little research into replacement axles, supplied and fitted here in the UK, but without much success. I imagine the cost shipping one from the USA would be eye-watering so I'd be interested in anything you guys could suggest, such as a model of car with an axle that would be a straight swap.

All input welcome.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

The 10 bolt is always a risk, some lasting through quite a bit, and others breaking under stock power. I'm not aware of any direct swap rear diffs, unfortunately. As for shipping, depending in the brand, I would think you may be able to get something worked out with one of the larger manufacturers. Moser, and Strange are two of the popular brands. You might also find a shop that could fab a rear diff, but I would imagine that would be quite costly too.

I've been on Moser's website and they suggest contacting them for overseas enquiries.
    I noticed on their website there was a bewildering (for a newbie like me) choice of custom and pre-built axles. There are a lot of choices to be checked and I didn't have a clue which boxes to tick or which to choose between the 12 bolt or the 9 Inch. I currently have a completely stock 2002 SS Camaro, do you know which options I should choose? I would like to get an idea of what it'd cost but I get stuck at the options check list.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

If you have an automatic tranny, a 12 bolt is usually the choice. A manual tranny, a 9" is preferred. You can choose either though. The 9" will stand up better to a manual though. As for the options, I'd go with the adjusable LCA brackets, get the reluctor rings installed - if you have abs/tcs and wish to retain them, you'll need the 4 channel option, if you only have abs - you'll use the 3 channel, I wouldn't mess with getting the star flange or gun drilling on the axles, I'd recommend the Detroit Tru Trac carrier with 31 splines or the Wavetrac - if you've got the cash, gears are your choice but most will pick 3.73s for auto and 4.10s for manual depending on your preference. I'd highly recommend the powder coating. I can't remember any other options, so if you wanted to list them, we can help you out.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You do not need the back brace.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Under the conditions that you described, I don't think I would worry about the rear popping in it. You have an A4, it doesn't see track time, and you don't beat on it -- quite simply, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just my two pennies on the question.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Under the conditions that you described, I don't think I would worry about the rear popping in it. You have an A4, it doesn't see track time, and you don't beat on it -- quite simply, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just my two pennies on the question.
    That's reassuring to know

A Moser set up is something I was thinking about in the long term.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I installed a Moser 12 bolt in our car last year. Here's the install thread with lots of pics: Bidding my rear adieu!

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Unless you're launching hard on sticky tires at the track I wouldn't worry about replacing the rear. The spider gears in an Auburn or the ring and pinion are usually first to go. They both break from shock or wheel hop. The 10bolt doesn't just explode while driving around. You have to abuse it a good bit. Spirited driving on the street will be fine unless you're going around doing 6k rpm clutch dumps.

Thread Information