Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Axle C clips

This is a discussion on Axle C clips within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Knight Must be a different model than mine. Mine has a plate that covers the spacer held ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Must be a different model than mine. Mine has a plate that covers the spacer held in by a c-ring. Interesting....
    That is the same as my Tru Trac -- except I have the c-clip eliminator setup on the 12 bolt.

White
    2002 WS6

well the drivers side is out and i have both caps off that hold the carrier in position and i still dont have enough wiggle room to take this thing out. the dirvers side c clip came right out. this is nuts.

White
    2002 WS6

maybe my axle is bent?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Did you try the two screw drivers with the hammer trick yet?

White
    2002 WS6

when i try that the other side of the clip gets pushed back into the gear...it doest even come out a little. if it did, the screw drive method might work.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    You could try and take the carrier spacer out and see if the carrier will shift enough to remove the clip. It does look really close. Could be a combo of the clip being dinged and the bearing.

Have you tried this. Sounds like you took the caps off but have you removed the side bearing shims/spacers. Try that then you can shift the whole carrier over towards the axle.
    BTW you're not alone, I've had this happen before. Usually I can pound the axle over really hard (like as hard as you possiblly can) with a dead blow hammer, push the side gear over, or remove the shims and eventually it'll come out.

White
    2002 WS6

yeah i tried that. my only cconclusion is that the previous owner had the bearing replaced with a repair bearing and that is why i cant get it in far enough. from what i have read, they make it hard to get the c clip in, so they must make it hard to get it out! that being said, looks like i need to beat the shiz out of it until i break the axle seal or something in order to get this thing in far enough. thanks for the help. i quit. tomorrow is another day

White
    2002 WS6

well i am back at it today. i'll let you know what happens. i think im gonna get the sawzall out and cut this b!tch in half.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How does the saying go: If at first you do not succeed... apply more force!

White
    2002 WS6

so i finally got it apart. i hat to use a dremel and cut the carrier bearing out in order to move the carrier over far enough to get the clip out (that axle wasnt going in any further).

As i suspected, a repair bearing was used in this thing by the previous owner and that was the issue. now i have to replace both carrier bearings and im going to do both axle bearings. the one with be a repair bearing again and the other side will be the regular bearing.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good to hear that you got it apart. I'll have to keep this one in mind in case I ever encounter the same problem.

White
    2002 WS6

well now that its all out i have to put it back together . time to learn how to set backlash!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Well if you had taken the measurements before you took it apart and everything was within spec you could have just thrown in the same size spacers

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

What is a repair bearing? Is that where they move it from the original spot because the original resting spot is messed up?

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    What is a repair bearing? Is that where they move it from the original spot because the original resting spot is messed up?
    yes...

i didnt take measurements because 10 hours into this thing i was ready to just get it apart and i didnt think that i was going to have to remove the carrier to do so. the good news is that there were 2 spacers between the bearing and the housing (one on each side) and they are identical. So i should be good just throwing it back in there. the only concern i have is the new carrier bearings may be different than the stock ones so i may need more shims or less....

update with pics in 5 min.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I have heard of that repair bearing it sucks but I would just get a new axle I hate that our cars don't have races for the bearings. You going to check the pattern w/ a spray or paint it on?
    Don't think I ever asked why you took the rear end apart in the first place.

White
    2002 WS6

my three bearings - the tallest one is the one that was on the bad axle. this thing is way too big and stuck out of the housing 1/4 inch (estimate). that is the mother effer that wouldnt let me push the axle in far enough. Screw the guy who did that hack job. the one in the middle is the timken repair bearing that i will be using on my old axle until i can get new axles. The smallest one is the stock size that doesnt have a seal built in like the repair bearings do.

White
    2002 WS6

aaaaaand the pink bag and nail polish in the background are NOT mine

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I have heard of that repair bearing it sucks but I would just get a new axle I hate that our cars don't have races for the bearings. You going to check the pattern w/ a spray or paint it on?
    Don't think I ever asked why you took the rear end apart in the first place.
    had a bad axle bearing on the passenger side.

day 3 of this project. everything is back in except the axle shafts. i think i'll be buying a new axle for the passenger side. i can put the old one in with the repair bearing, but i will be in the same boat if i have to remove it again.

White
    2002 WS6

So i am officially done with this project. 3 days ago i knew nothing about differentials, today i feel like i could rebuild them all! Thanks to everyone who helped me with this and i hope that this provides some help to anyone struggleing to remove a c clip in the future. moral of the story is, repair bearings suck and should be a last resort.

Thanks alot, the car is whisper quite now!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information