Metallic Blue
    2001 Trans Am

Axle bearing going bad?

Hey need some help. Heard a noise that sounded like a whiring noise when coming to a stop. Kind of a metal on metal sound. Thought it might be the axle bearings. Have the car on the lift and have looked for play in the wheels. Both move up and down a little, and its about the same on both sides. Is this normal? I had the rotors off a while back to paint, is it possible that the emergency brake it hanging a little? what would fix that prob? Car only has 37000 miles and hardly gets driven. Noticed also that the rear rims get warm after a drive. not an expert mechanic, jsut trying to learn and do most stuff myself. Thanks for the help.

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok 1st what i was told to adjust your e brake,,, push button on ebrake in and crank it up and down 5 times with out removing your finger from the button,,, that should auto adjust your ebrake,,, it worked for me when i removed my rear end,,, another indicator i came upon when i thought my axle bearing were going out was at lower speed,,try driving it and do a right and left slow swerve and see if you can hear the clicking/grinding more pronounced when you are turning.... also have you checked your lube level in your rear end??? remove the plug,,, if its not pouring out ,,,,,its likely low,,, if you haven't changed the fluid in a while just do that and see if everything looks good in there also,,, and also wouldnt hurt to pull the rear rotor and make sure the ebrake pads aren't all the way down,,,,just my 2 cents,,, good luck

Metallic Blue
    2001 Trans Am

Hey thanks for the info, I tried the adjusting of the e brake and that seemed to help, at least the wheels seem to spin a little for freely. I think I might go ahead and change the rear oil while Im at it. Then put it on the road and see what happens!

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Check the area around the axel and if there isn't any signs of leaks or dark greyish like sludge,(fretting corrosion), then your axel seals are fine. It sounds like it was your Ebrake since you said your wheel felt warm after driving it, (this might have been heat transfer), also you stated that the wheel turned more freely. With the low miles your car has you can probably skip changing the rear end fluid for now and just check it as Oritz suggested.

Thread Information