black
    2000 camaro z28

auto to manual swap

i know i know theres post every were on the website but im lazy and i just want to know everything i need to do and get to do a auto to manual swap on a 2000 camaro z28 help pls

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

T56 with bell housing
    Slave and master cylinder (might as well buy new ones and do it right the first time. Ask me why? Lol)
    Pedal assembly from m6 (make sure it has the connectors)
    You need a six speed center console with shift boot and ring.you can swap over you ash and storage box thing
    Also you need a lower shift boot that goes under the console to cover the hole you cut for the shifter in the floor board. Its really loud n hot if you dont put one there.
    Crossmember from m6 with NEW mount
    Pcm will need to be re flashed to m6 pcm
    Clutch and flywheel. Brand new ls7 kits are very affordable, hold great power, and best of all have a stock feel. Do not put in a oem ls1 clutch, you will regret that later on.
    Also major issue is if ur a z28 ur rear gear is 2.73 and the gear ratios of a t56 are not going to match that. You need a 3.42 at least.anything lower and the gears become long and sluggish. My swap was done with the 3.23 rear that came stock in my SS. They were ok and driveable. 90 was 2k rpm in sixth gear lol. So its a great time to put in gears and freshen up your 10 bolt.
    Also is a good time to change the rear main seal
    I did mine on a 2500 budget and ended up going all the way up to 3200 plus some and i still have some issues i need to fix. A good complete swap is about 4k unless you get lucky and get some great deals and it depends on if you have a shop that does the work for you. Im in the bay area and while i love the shop that does my work the hr rates are high and the bill adds up quick should you encounter issues.
    Make sure you get a good t56 and trust the person. I got screwed.
    I recommend a rebuild before you put it in. Their average around 500 for labor and you can get stg2 upgrade package for about 600. Thats good for about 600 -650rwhp.

Im sure i missed a few things, and the others will chime in.

Pm me if you need some advice. Ill give you my number.

Its awesome though with a six speed. You realize how fast the ls1 really is. I do miss my auto but the six is fun with a good suspension and rear end.

Good luck and remember, buy new parts whenever possible. You spend more but it pays off.
    2001 SS SLP#3627 Bright red, M6, Lid, Catback, Few suspension goodies. Low miles and clean

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

Hawks has a complete swap for $2200 but they recomend buying a new clutch, all the parts you would get from them are used.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

I have done 4 of these swaps for my friends and customers (I buy Stick lol) There really isn't that much to it. A lot of people sweat it and when they see the thread it freaks them out becaue of the length of the thread. Yes Hawks does offer the complete swap for 2200 but the last few times we have contacted them, there was a wait list on Pedal assy, cross members and trans. If you need any advice on the swap or have any questions feel free to contact me.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

black
    2000 camaro z28

dang thanks for all the info guys!!!!

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by starplus998 View Post
    dang thanks for all the info guys!!!!
    No problem man. If you get stumped or stuck feel free to pm me. I have done 1,2 or 10 of these lol. good luck

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You can also try this thread for info on auto to manual swap.
    A4 to T56 swap
    Last edited by Cutlass; 11-15-2011 at 03:50 AM.

White
    2001 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bouigha123 View Post
    Hawks has a complete swap for $2200 but they recomend buying a new clutch, all the parts you would get from them are used.
    whats the website for Hawks?

I’m disabled and unlike ninety nine percent of others looking for advice and cost to go automatic to manual I’m that one percent curious on what the manual to automatic swap would genuinely look like as far as cost parts etc cause I found a fair priced manual Firebird that needs a little love and am wondering if acquired what amount of love would I also be looking at to make the transmission one I can operate?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Super easy to go automatic. And if done correctly, it’ll be a faster drag car.
    But if you have to ask how, you might be better off finding a auto car to begin with.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Thread Information