black
    2000 WS6 Transam

Talking Auburn Posi Noise

I am sure that this has been posted before but just a note for anyone running an Auburn Posi in their 10 bolt. I have been experiencing a lot of noise (banging, popping, shuddering) from the rear of my TA when turning slowly into my drive way or backing out of a parking space. I happen only after the car had been driven for a few miles. I had my wife drive it into the driveway while I watched and listened. The rear wheel that was turning the fastest was actually shuddering or jerking. I put it up on jack stands and could not find anything loose. I changed the gear oil and added friction modifier that I got from Advance Auto Parts just in case it was clutches in the posi chattering. It did not fix the problem. I reread the users manual for the posi and it specifically said not to use any friction modifier but GM or Ford. I changed the fluid again and used the GM friction modifier and the problem was solved. I should have paid better attention to the manufacturer. This problem has bothered me for the better part of a year. Amazing that the problem was so simple. I hope this will save others from the same experience.

Black
    1998 Z28

If your 2000 firebird still has the original parts in the rearend,it has a Torsen 'posi',not an Auburn. Torsens are prone to 'noise' with age.
    The use of Torsens started in 1999.

black
    2000 WS6 Transam

Smile Auburn Posi Noise

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    If your 2000 firebird still has the original parts in the rearend,it has a Torsen 'posi',not an Auburn. Torsens are prone to 'noise' with age.
    The use of Torsens started in 1999.
    I rebuilt the rear end with 4.10 gears and an Auburn posi because the torsen gave up the ghost. I just wanted to pass along that GM or Ford friction modifier worked properly and the cheaper parts store brand did not.
    Thanks

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Torsens are a gear drive system and when they go they are gone. Same with the Auburn units but they have springs that set the needed traction. When they go they are gone as well. The units I like have clutches in them and are rebuildable. You can beat them all day long and when you are down to one black stripe you simply pull the unit out, throw in a clutch kit and fill it with oil.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information