Ray Charles blue

Am I missing anything?

I have been wanting gears since I got the car this past fall/summer and now I have them. I decided to go with Motive Gears, 3.73s and even picked up a rear end freshening up kit with it. Looks to have bearings, some bolts....etc Oh, the gears are in the red/orange colored box and not the blue. Yeah, I am sure the rear could go but I am an A4 and pretty much stock so I think it should handle once or twice at the drag strip. If not I might know where another rear exists.

Am I missing anything else? I know I will need differential fluid. Any suggestions? This car gets probably 10-12k miles a year and mostly highway duty.

Also, will I need to drop or remove the exhaust to get to the gears or will the suspension sag enough to allow complete access to the rear?

Thanks guys!

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I have been wanting gears since I got the car this past fall/summer and now I have them. I decided to go with Motive Gears, 3.73s and even picked up a rear end freshening up kit with it. Looks to have bearings, some bolts....etc Oh, the gears are in the red/orange colored box and not the blue. Yeah, I am sure the rear could go but I am an A4 and pretty much stock so I think it should handle once or twice at the drag strip. If not I might know where another rear exists.

Am I missing anything else? I know I will need differential fluid. Any suggestions? This car gets probably 10-12k miles a year and mostly highway duty.

Also, will I need to drop or remove the exhaust to get to the gears or will the suspension sag enough to allow complete access to the rear?

Thanks guys!

Gears,refresh kit and fluid and you're good. Well that and time.. Took me about a day to do mine but I took breaks had lunch etc.... Depending on where you do the work I would get something to cover the floor. I did mine in the driveway and had a bunch of cardboard wardrobe boxes on the ground. In the end it made for simple clean up.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 03-03-2011 at 01:42 PM.

mystic
    95 LS, yes it says LS

You may think about redoing the clutches it the posi.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by mysticZ View Post
    You may think about redoing the clutches it the posi.
    That depends if he has a torsen or not.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Make sure to use thread sealant on the pinion gear threads - many people do not and think they have a bad pinion seal.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

^That or they over torque it and it leaks.

Ray Charles blue

Thanks guys!

I am actually having a friend of mine do it. It has built a few rear ends for me and my dad (8.5s) and we never had an issue. He also has done 4 engines for us as well as he builds dirt track engines and builds the rear for the guys. He said $60 and he will have it done in an afternoon......lol

I might see if he will let me sit with him and work on it to at least learn how to put it back together. I have taken a few old 8.5s apart but never put one back together. I have little faith in myself. lol

I picked up the Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil (Sarge told me to do it!) and hope to get them in this next week! Hope to have my new PCM by early next week too so I can have both done at the same time.

I think its 1.75 quarts of oil in the stock rear correct?
    Last edited by TLS_Addict; 03-10-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Ray Charles blue

New PCM is here! A week from today the gears are going in.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Torsen actually recommends utilizing a posi additive in the rear. I researched this a while back for a reply in another thread. May not be a bad idea to also change out the axle seals while you have it apart.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Torsen actually recommends utilizing a posi additive in the rear. I researched this a while back for a reply in another thread. May not be a bad idea to also change out the axle seals while you have it apart.
    I am going to pick some up from the GM dealer. Not sure if that is a bad or good thing really but I looked at one of the auto parts stores and the additive they had didnt ring a bell. Any suggestions on what to use?

Good call on the axle seals.

You going to be ready for the track on the 25th? I might have to DD my car for a few days to get the rear broke in next week......lol They say 500 miles but not sure if that number is spot on or not. I have been reading and it says not to spend a lot of time at one speed so might take the back roads to school next week.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just bought some additive for the Durango from the 'Zone. Maybe try the stealership? No chance I'll be ready for the track by then. Our car won't be on the road until at least mid-April.

Ray Charles blue

I talked to Duayne, he is trying to get his Buick ready for the track. I might go down next week and give him a hand with it. Not sure what needs done but he wants to run it this year.

Hope to be ready by mid April with my Z28.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I talked to Duayne, he is trying to get his Buick ready for the track. I might go down next week and give him a hand with it. Not sure what needs done but he wants to run it this year.

Hope to be ready by mid April with my Z28.

We are really looking forward to having company in Beaver Springs. Started work on installing a second bathroom last trip down.

Ray Charles blue

Wish I would have known. I gave away a 6' double sink with back splash.....and yes it was brand new. lol

Spring Carlisle is coming up. Dad and I have a hotel reservation for Thursday and Friday night. Going to the auction again, hopefully they get some more cars in the auction though.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We will be there Thursday through Saturday. Think we are staying at the Travel Lodge this year.

Ray Charles blue

Very cool, I think we are at the Hotel Carlisle. For some reason I want to rename Hotel California and make up some new words.

Ray Charles blue

Not happy. Friend had me stop down to his shop today and see that the kit that came with my gears had the wrong crush sleve in it and the wrong pinion seal. The pinion seal wasnt even freaking close! WTF?!?!

He had a crush sleve and got another pinion seal at the local auto parts store.

Christ on a crutch!

Ray Charles blue

Drove the car home last evening and all I can saw is wow. I should have done this A LONG LONG time ago.

Thread Information