Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

All LS1 driveshafts are aluminum, correct?

This is a discussion on All LS1 driveshafts are aluminum, correct? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Danger731 OPTION CODE (GU5) aluminum GU5 means 3.23s. So come on kids, what got aluminum and what ...

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731
    OPTION CODE (GU5) aluminum
    GU5 means 3.23s. So come on kids, what got aluminum and what got steel? Seems that it's random so far. . .lol. There has to be something we don't know

My car came with 2.73s and an alum. DS. I was previously told all 2.73 geared cars had steel. I dont know if Im an exception or if there is another reason my car had alum.
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

The general belief was auto's were steel and mannies were alum until this thread. MAybe it is true unless you get 3.23s in your auto? I wanna go get under mine now I have an A4 with 3.23s that I havn't had long enough to get under except to change the oil the day I boughtit.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I wouldn't bother about the driveshaft. I've read a lot about them lately. Whatever you have; steel or aluminum, it's best to leave it. SUPPOSIVELY, carbon fiber and aluminum has a tendency to twist up on a good enough launch. I was told this after reading about "heavy duty" driveshafts. The MAIN advantage of getting an aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft is the weight reduction and ability to lose less HP from the crank to the wheels, BUT you are risking it with a flimsier driveshaft. Better off to forget about it.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    I wouldn't bother about the driveshaft. I've read a lot about them lately. Whatever you have; steel or aluminum, it's best to leave it. SUPPOSIVELY, carbon fiber and aluminum has a tendency to twist up on a good enough launch. I was told this after reading about "heavy duty" driveshafts. The MAIN advantage of getting an aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft is the weight reduction and ability to lose less HP from the crank to the wheels, BUT you are risking it with a flimsier driveshaft. Better off to forget about it.
    Yep, I've seen an aluminum driveshaft ripped in HALF before

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

02 T/A, 6-speed, 3.42 gears with Aluminum.

Hark_Z
    Everyone with LT1's say that they go from steel to alum and the vibrations at higher speeds, 80+, are less noticeable and it works well. I am in the market now for an alum DS!!

lee1rbc
    I put an alum shaft on my 95Z, I was very happy with the results. Much smoother and I did notice a small improvement in performance. It only adds 2rwhp across the rpm band but was needed for my LT1. My LS1 has a steel shaft but has no vibration issues and I am planning on adding about 75 more hp, so I'm going to leave it. Im an A4 and orig had 2.73s.

maroonZ

Wink Aluminum here!

My 2000 Z is an A4 with 3.23s and an aluminum driveshaft.

sbbuick
    My 2002 Z-28 MN6 stripper model came with aluminum

1998 M6 vert TA

I swapped my tranny a couple of months ago (A4 to M6) and now when I shift in neutral (or push the clutch) on the highway I feel a vibration that seems to be the driveshaft. I also went from 2.73 to 3.42 rear end ratio.
    It's still the old steel driveshaft.

Do I need an aluminum driveshaft to get raid of the vibration or is it enough to balance what I have now for an higher rpm?
    MODS: A4 > M6 conversion, SC raptor hood, Vortech V9 G-Trim SQ, homemade water-alcohol injection
    DYNO: 410 RWHP, 417 TORQUE @ 5 PSI

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I have a steel ds in my 02 Z28, came with 2:73's...I added 3:42's about a year ago and zero vibration problems and I tend to go over 100mph daily. I think with the steel shafts there is more of a chance they could be not as well balanced...some may get good ones and others not. If I was getting vibration then I would replace it with a aluminum one. I think with some 02 models, even the 2:73 cars came with aluminum, since they were using up whatever was around at the time...just like some 02's have LS1 blocks and others LS6.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Some came with steel. I will be pruchasing that carbonfiber driveshaft eventually

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

carbon fiber driveshaft = waste of time unless you are rich. do yourself a favor and spend the money on something that will produce more HP...cuz im sure you won't be losing that much weight in the driveshaft, and youll be risking the possibility of shredding the driveshaft apart. if ANYTHING id go with aluminum, but still theres better things to spend your money on.

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

You made me look

My '01 T/A (not WS6) A4 with optional 3.23 has aluminum shaft. I'm very impressed with high speed vibration-free ride, but my '96 Formula never had a problem with the steel either.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    carbon fiber driveshaft = waste of time unless you are rich. do yourself a favor and spend the money on something that will produce more HP...cuz im sure you won't be losing that much weight in the driveshaft, and youll be risking the possibility of shredding the driveshaft apart. if ANYTHING id go with aluminum, but still theres better things to spend your money on.
    Are you retarded?!?! So your saying that a carbon fiber driveshaft is a waste of time and to keep the stock one??? Have you ever been to the track before? I can't tell you how many snaped driveshafts Iv seen on cars running over 400hp. A carbon fiber driveshaft can handle in upwards of 1000hp so I dont know where your geting your facts from. So you stick with your aluminum driveshaft and just keep adding hp. We will see whos car is on a tow truck first.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I have mixed feelings over the carbon fiber ds. I have seen the aluminum snapped on cars not putting out insanely high hp numbers. Get a couple of bolt ons and some traction mods and you have more than enough to kill it, so I agree that something better is needed, especially when you get LCAs TA drag radials etc. I just can't justify so much $$$$ for carbon fiber. Anyone that has seen how thin the stock aluminum ds is once it's twisted in half understand's capster's point of view though. Once you see inside of that thing you won't trust it much longer

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    Are you retarded?!?! So your saying that a carbon fiber driveshaft is a waste of time and to keep the stock one??? Have you ever been to the track before? I can't tell you how many snaped driveshafts Iv seen on cars running over 400hp. A carbon fiber driveshaft can handle in upwards of 1000hp so I dont know where your geting your facts from. So you stick with your aluminum driveshaft and just keep adding hp. We will see whos car is on a tow truck first.
    Lately, I'm too busy fixing problems, not causing them. Yes I do have an aluminum driveshaft, but I'm just not bothering about it. My axle would more than likely snap before the driveshaft twists...so far I'm on my 2nd trans and went a little more heavy-duty with a 3 year warranty (jasper trans with shift kit) and my axle is and has been leaking from the pinion and differential seals. If my driveshaft becomes a problem, it'll be replaced. No, I didn't know the HP rating for carbon fiber driveshafts, but I've seen someone with a carbon fiber hood all shred up, and it started all because of a simple scratch. That stuff is like thin paper as soon as it's cut.

This is what I don't understand about some people with budgets, they modify their car even though some may know something else is about to go. I don't have a long list of mods cuz I'm an 18 year old with a budget, but more than 1/2 my mods are from something that needed replacement.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    Lately, I'm too busy fixing problems, not causing them. Yes I do have an aluminum driveshaft, but I'm just not bothering about it. My axle would more than likely snap before the driveshaft twists...so far I'm on my 2nd trans and went a little more heavy-duty with a 3 year warranty (jasper trans with shift kit) and my axle is and has been leaking from the pinion and differential seals. If my driveshaft becomes a problem, it'll be replaced. No, I didn't know the HP rating for carbon fiber driveshafts, but I've seen someone with a carbon fiber hood all shred up, and it started all because of a simple scratch. That stuff is like thin paper as soon as it's cut.

This is what I don't understand about some people with budgets, they modify their car even though some may know something else is about to go. I don't have a long list of mods cuz I'm an 18 year old with a budget, but more than 1/2 my mods are from something that needed replacement, I just went the performance route on the part.

Here's the best advice most of you would agree with me on...IF IT ISNT BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT.
    Last edited by myk02k; 03-08-2006 at 10:39 AM.

Crytal Red Tint Coat
    2013 SS Camaro Covertible

I'll chime in! My 98 had 2.73s and steel. When I put the LPE 3.5" aluminum drive shaft in it did help get rid of some vibration.
    2013 Camaro SS Convertible, Whipple Supercharger, Kooks Coated 1 7/8" headers, CAI Cold air induction
    http://s33.photobucket.com/user/Deea...?sort=3&page=1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information