nbm
    2002 ws6

Cool advice on auto or manual tranny

just want to say thanks for the advice on which to look for; it does make sense to just go after the best SS I can find and afford and not let the transmission dictate my choice. I have always been a vette guy over the years owning several different gens; I like the C6's but a used one still costs about twice what an 01 or 02 SS would and I think I would enjoy it just as much. Anyone thik I'm making a mistake going for a camaro? donwil

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Welcome to the site. I surely wouldn't let the transmission dictate what you purchase IMO. Either one can be extremely fun to drive.

A stalled A4 will be faster and more consistent at the track.

A M6 is really fun for cruising around in and gets you more involved with the cars manners IMO. Not suitable at all for a lot of track use though.

Each transmission has its weaknesses. I own a M6 and know of two from first-hand experience only after 12K miles; synchronizer keys and 3-4 shift fork.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yup just whatever your preference
    I wanted an M6 and ended up with an auto
    If you find end up looking at a 6 speed car try and find one with the least mods possible
    People don't usually mod cars to go slow and a beaten on m6 is usually prone to more wear and tear
    Good luck and welcome to the site

black
    1994 Camaro Z28

trans?

Ive done alot of research on both transmissions and he's right they're both great with their own weakness'es the tremec 6 speed is diffrent in parts from its big brother the vette, the m6 some of the internal parts re manufactured in mexico with parts that are weak and really cant take to much years of abuse, the internals on the vettes m6 i believe were manufactured somewhere in europe with 1st class parts therefore lasting longer, now the automatic 4 spd. are more consistent yes at the track, but depending on how you plan to "abuse the trans it depends on what you want it for, if youre like me i like the short bursts and the occasional high speeds out on the desert of las vegas and california, plus the rear end has alot to do with it too, i have a 2:73 gear ratio and at 75mph im at about 1850 rpms, great for gas milage, In all honesty i would love the m6 as i love the 60 muscle car std cars but i put a corvette servo and a 2nd stage shift kit from transgo, and i love the neck snapping shifts!! i get a awsome 2nd gear spin, so yea im happy but... the choice is entirely up to you, goodluck and again welcome.

Superbee
    Avecrency

advice on auto or manual tranny

Hey, welcome to the site. Lots of friendly people here. Let us know how things turn out once you get the car. Embarassing manual learning stories are the most entertaining.

nbm
    2002 ws6

Cool

thx for all the advice fellas; I really like this site but still learning my way around. Everyone seems to be cool-no one puts you down for asking questions. I had a 94 Z28 with a manual that was a lot of fun to drive but the tranny would make a grinding noise out of 1st but not all the time. Took it to a shop but they could never get it to do it. Only when I drove-naturally! Ended up selling because of that and it was my only vehicle and didn't handle the nebraska winters too well as you can imagine. Kinda leaning towards another manual though. Later donwil

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Grinding going into a gear is normally the synchros going bad/wearing. Could also have been a hydraulic problem with the clutch.

Just take your time and make sure you get exactly what you want...otherwise you'll have regrets later down the road.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I had 76,XXX miles on stock clutch/M6 with many 5K dumps, bumper to bumper traffic and about 200 track passes with no issues to either
    Either one has pros and cons, pick what you want the most Unfor you will get mixed reviews here due to hardcore fans.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yup, hard to get an answer on this. I bought a '98 Trans Am, it had 2.73 rear with the auto. This, after having a 400 4-spd '67 Firebird for 11 years. Man, I missed that manual, so now I have the '00 WS6 6-speed. LOVE IT! So, if you find a great deal on either one, go for it. Both are fun to drive, just differently.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I like to come into these threads now days and just go against the grain

I have a M6, and there's just no way I will keep it a manual forever. I love it, but I want to be fast/consistent in the 1/4 more. Also, replacing clutches at 1000+ dollars a pop sucks(for big horsepower guys).

One vote for auto here from a M6 guy.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Real race cars have 3 pedals M6 for life, but i guess if i was trying to be competive and big money then yeah a shitty auto would be in there.

Thread Information