Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 93

A4 or M6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on A4 or M6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; A4 if you want to do track. No questions. It's easier to launch. And more consistent. Yes , I said ...

  1. #61
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    A4 if you want to do track. No questions. It's easier to launch. And more consistent. Yes , I said easier, as in easy. As in push the pedal down, and steer. Me, I wanted an M6 right off the bat. Wouldn't trade it for an auto. I can lock it down in second, and run curves with it. I can use second to engine brake, and for the sheer visceral joy of listening to the engine barble down as you engine brake. But I don't DD it. Prob a lot of guys with manuals don't. And you are going to get a lot more respect from other people in the manual. The ones that notice,anyway.

  2. #62
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Ok...FIRST OFF thanks everyone for contributing to this thread!! NOW.........THERE IS A REASON WHY THE CORVETTE ZO6 & THE MIGHTY ZR1 ARE ONLY OFFERED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!!! RIGHT!!!!!!!! Can SOMEBODY PLEASE explain THAT to me?????????

    Just imagine the ZR1 being outfitted with an Automatic only!!!! Ughh......

  3. #63
    Member dav-02ws6-m6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    294
    2002 trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Ok...FIRST OFF thanks everyone for contributing to this thread!! NOW.........THERE IS A REASON WHY THE CORVETTE ZO6 & THE MIGHTY ZR1 ARE ONLY OFFERED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!!! RIGHT!!!!!!!! Can SOMEBODY PLEASE explain THAT to me?????????

    Just imagine the ZR1 being outfitted with an Automatic only!!!! Ughh......
    i like your point of view. Another cars that you can add to the list are the viper, ford gt, and 03-04

    svt cobra.

    please correct me if i'm wrong

  4. #64
    Senior Member 98maro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north bay california
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,973

    Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

    Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    i like your point of view. Another cars that you can add to the list are the viper, ford gt, and 03-04

    svt cobra.

    please correct me if i'm wrong
    you are right,,

    other car is the CTS-V..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

  5. #65
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,996

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    So how much clutch action and shifter lever moving is there after you leave the line

    My point is that they are not grabbing gears.

    When you look at other classes like Pro-Stock I think they have manual transmissions but if not mistaken they are clutchless. Right/Wrong?
    Right, no clutch pedal stabbing or gear grabbing in Top Fuel.

    ProStock trans are manuals with a clutch, but they don't have to stab the clutch pedal to shift. But yes they are gear grabbing.

  6. #66
    Hide ya kids Hide ya wife 94ss06gxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Shepherd MI
    Posts
    119

    Silver, Stealth Gray
    97 SS CLONE, 06 GP GXP

    i got an M6 because i wanted one, i like manual cars. not because its manly or because it impresses chicks or any of that BS. my DD is auto with tapshift if you want to select your gear which i think is awesome, but i wanted a M6 F Body plain and simple, i have a pro 5.0 w/power tower and the only times i have missed shifts were because of my shifter ball (its acrylic SS ball) was slippery from my hands being sweaty.

  7. #67
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Ok...FIRST OFF thanks everyone for contributing to this thread!! NOW.........THERE IS A REASON WHY THE CORVETTE ZO6 & THE MIGHTY ZR1 ARE ONLY OFFERED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!!! RIGHT!!!!!!!! Can SOMEBODY PLEASE explain THAT to me?????????
    Mid life crisis Marketing guy to another at GM, lets get those older guys thinking they are young again and give them a stick car.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  8. #68
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    I've yet to hear anyone say with pride in their voice:

    "I never learned to drive a stick."
    Dude, honestly how old are you?
    Ive been around cars for 25 years now and yet to ever hear anybody brag or talk with pride how they know how to drive stick shift and so on.
    Now what i have heard countless times from manual owners is excuses upon excuses after they had they ass handed to them from a non manual car.
    Its goes back to what i said earlier, young guy have something to prove so they get stick cars thinking they have accomplished something.

  9. #69
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    It seems most people hear measure performance in a straight line, but I have yet to see many stick car owners that can actually drive and shift to make it worth while. Everyone talks a big game about how the stick cars are great, then you watch them race and they shift like grandma.

    If you can't drive a stick car like this, then you may as well take it back home.......

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfPiVjUdjU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-27-2010 at 08:46 AM.

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    138

    Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Dude, honestly how old are you?
    Ive been around cars for 25 years now and yet to ever hear anybody brag or talk with pride how they know how to drive stick shift and so on.
    Now what i have heard countless times from manual owners is excuses upon excuses after they had they ass handed to them from a non manual car.
    Its goes back to what i said earlier, young guy have something to prove so they get stick cars thinking they have accomplished something.
    Try reading what I wrote again.

    I didn't say that stick drivers brag that they know how to drive a stick. But non-stick drivers do have to hang their heads a bit and quietly admit that they don't know how to drive if confronted to operate one.

    "Wow!! Nice Viper you got! Want to trade cars for a quick run?"

    "Sure, I want to drive that supercharged Audi you have, you good with a stick?"

    "...ummm.... nevermind, I can't drive a stick...." (said with pride, of course...)

    And to answer you, I'm 40. I don't cry when I loose to an a4. So what... I lost, there's more to life that always winning, just have fun. I also know that if I practiced more, and the loss was close, next time I have the ability to win. Once the a4 guy loses, all he can do is throw more parts at his car.

    If any m6 driver loses to an a4 then blames it on the tranny, I'll be the first in line to tell him to just learn to drive and take the loss like a man.

  11. #71
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Ok...FIRST OFF thanks everyone for contributing to this thread!! NOW.........THERE IS A REASON WHY THE CORVETTE ZO6 & THE MIGHTY ZR1 ARE ONLY OFFERED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!!! RIGHT!!!!!!!! Can SOMEBODY PLEASE explain THAT to me?????????

    Just imagine the ZR1 being outfitted with an Automatic only!!!! Ughh......
    Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    i like your point of view. Another cars that you can add to the list are the viper, ford gt, and 03-04

    svt cobra.

    please correct me if i'm wrong
    quite easy actually for the corvette z06 and zr1 ..they were not designed to be daily drivers really..they were not designed for drag strips ...they were designed to be driven from your house on trips and if you wanted to go to a hpe event and tear the course a new asshole ........so why would they offer a auto for a car whos main purpose and dna is for road racing...same for the GT ...that and it is a tribute car ......the 03-04 svt cobra was offered in a automatic...again..it was geared more towards strip and street....the viper i would think was a little becuase it could track but more so that the ideology behind the viper from day one was simple as spit design...big engine..light body and as little weight and electronics as possible.

  12. #72
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    The CTS-V DOES come with an automatic. The older LS6/LS2 versions dont but the new one does and it has what 556hp?

  13. #73
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Try reading what I wrote again.

    I didn't say that stick drivers brag that they know how to drive a stick. But non-stick drivers do have to hang their heads a bit and quietly admit that they don't know how to drive if confronted to operate one.

    "Wow!! Nice Viper you got! Want to trade cars for a quick run?"

    "Sure, I want to drive that supercharged Audi you have, you good with a stick?"

    "...ummm.... nevermind, I can't drive a stick...." (said with pride, of course...)

    And to answer you, I'm 40. I don't cry when I loose to an a4. So what... I lost, there's more to life that always winning, just have fun. I also know that if I practiced more, and the loss was close, next time I have the ability to win. Once the a4 guy loses, all he can do is throw more parts at his car.

    If any m6 driver loses to an a4 then blames it on the tranny, I'll be the first in line to tell him to just learn to drive and take the loss like a man.
    i think m6 owners think a little too highly of themselves personally...it take about 3 times driving a stick to be able to drive a stick..it isnt like a 5 step process that requires years of practice to be able to drive a stick...now to really drive a stick like firebird jones can do (i am pretty sure) and the video he showed take some time...but 95% of the people here that think they are bad ass becuase they use a 3rd pedal make me laugh ...........that and most people that say stab and steer automatic have never driven a stalled auto...

  14. #74
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    The CTS-V DOES come with an automatic. The older LS6/LS2 versions dont but the new one does and it has what 556hp?
    and it performs just as well if not better than the manual .

  15. #75
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Wanted M6, so I got M6.

    Wanted fun to drive vehicle and also wanted better gear ratio. So, I gots M6.
    Same

  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    138

    Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Yea... learning to operate a stick shift is SIMPLE! No real challenge there. Hell, my MOM taught me on my first car ('86 Cavalier) in one afternoon since Dad wasn't going to miss muzzle-loader season. What I'm saying is that to learn to properly drive and perform with a m6 takes years of practice.

    I never said I am top of my class with a m6. I'd put myself in the average category for street races and PURE AMATEUR in strip. But I also DID SAY that m6 can NOT claim he lost a race BECAUSE hes m6. In that case he can only claim he's a shitty driver and he needs to get better.

    Comments I'm making are that an a4 really isn't a "heads up" race when lined up against a m6. That race sounds more like a John Henry race. Driver skill vs. automatic shifting skill. Man vs. machine.

    Shady, I think you get it, but...

    BOTH the m6 and a4 guys in here are getting pretty "high and mighty" (myself included)

    I said it before and I'll say it again, if you love what you drive, great! You win! Does the guy next to you love his (opposite choice of you) ride? GREAT! Guess what, you're both winners!

  17. #77
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Yea... learning to operate a stick shift is SIMPLE! No real challenge there. Hell, my MOM taught me on my first car ('86 Cavalier) in one afternoon since Dad wasn't going to miss muzzle-loader season. What I'm saying is that to learn to properly drive and perform with a m6 takes years of practice.

    I never said I am top of my class with a m6. I'd put myself in the average category for street races and PURE AMATEUR in strip. But I also DID SAY that m6 can NOT claim he lost a race BECAUSE hes m6. In that case he can only claim he's a shitty driver and he needs to get better.

    Comments I'm making are that an a4 really isn't a "heads up" race when lined up against a m6. That race sounds more like a John Henry race. Driver skill vs. automatic shifting skill. Man vs. machine.

    Shady, I think you get it, but...

    BOTH the m6 and a4 guys in here are getting pretty "high and mighty" (myself included)

    I said it before and I'll say it again, if you love what you drive, great! You win! Does the guy next to you love his (opposite choice of you) ride? GREAT! Guess what, you're both winners!
    i agree completely

  18. #78
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post

    BOTH the m6 and a4 guys in here are getting pretty "high and mighty" (myself included)
    Yes people do get high and mighty. Stick guys always make some bullshit comment that sets off the auto guys. Then the auto guys talk shit back.
    This topic has been beat to death here over the last 12 years or so and always comes down to people making snotty comments (guilty myself). In all reality, they just need to automatically close all threads that are M6 Vs A4.

    Having owned 2 LS1 cars, one auto the other stick, i can honestly say that both have their place. While one (stick) is more of a challenge to drive, that challenge does not make it the better choice or make a person/car the better one.
    It gets exhausting the comments people make suggesting that A4 owners are simpletons because they put their car in gear and thats it.

  19. #79
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I wanted a 35th Anv. SS LE and they were far and few to find when I went hunting. Ended up with a M6 with t-tops, which was the 2nd rarest made.

    I had never owned a manual before so I bought the car and had my buddy drive it home for me. I learned that night in a big parking lot at around midnight.

    I love the fact that it's a M6. However, for a track car, A4 is the way to go.
    It's on jackstands.

  20. #80
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    If any m6 driver loses to an a4 then blames it on the tranny, I'll be the first in line to tell him to just learn to drive and take the loss like a man.
    It's not the tranny that makes the car anymore. Even the best drivers still lose.

    Check out the video I posted. See that guy in the other lane blow by?? Thats Dave Dudek, and it's an automatic.
    Joel didn't lose in his 4-speed car because of any lack of driving ability. Just because a car has an auto doesn't mean the car is going to be slow, and a stick car doesn't necessarily have any advantage either. It's really just a matter of how much HP you have in front of that transmission.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •