Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

A4 or M6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on A4 or M6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by robcas47 My wife and I both love cars and F-Bodies equally. She admits to not being as ...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    My wife and I both love cars and F-Bodies equally. She admits to not being as good a driver when it comes to a manual so I was reluctant to get an M6 to avoid any mishaps on her part and pretty much spare her the guilt or embarrassment. Since I knew she would be driving the car as much as I would, (and even more while I'm away), I leaned more towards an A4. The only reason we both agree on an M6 C5 or C6 is because she simply has always justed wanted own and drive a Vette, and I on the other hand just want to "drive" one.

Also, I agree that being able to have both an A4 and an M6 would be great because I like having an A4 DD, especially when in traffic trying to get on post. But there are also the fun lil burnouts, parking lot fun, and just plain mash'n it and keeping her straight . But then with a M6 I feel more involved with the car and the driving experience which makes it that much more of a treat. So for a car that is meant for pure recreational purposes I personally would want it to be a M6. Hope this makes sense to you all. Just my 2 cents...
    Well said here.......I would agree with your statements.....HOWEVER I wish my wife loved F-bodies like I do!!!!! If she did, I would have already gotten me, I mean her an A4!!!!

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    no questions asked..i wanted the 4l60e so i could stall it and embarrass m6 owners ...remember gents ...unless you are road racing or hpe ...manuals are for impressing high school girls ...while the auto is for winning races
    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    OK......does ANYONE disagree with Shady??? Any M6'ers want to respectfully challenge his above statement???? Personally, I have no clue, I don't street race that often OR go to the track so my opinion is mute......
    I own both versions of the 4th gen, and I agree with shady completely. That's not to say I don't like the stick cars. I ran UMTR for a couple years racing classic stuff with older muncies, enjoy racing the stick cars and have alot of fun doing it. But it comes with a price. They are hard on parts, and unless you know how to drive one very well, you aren't going to outrun the guy in the other lane with an auto.
    I broke alot of parts racing stick cars, rearends, clutches, driveshafts. It gets expensive after a while. I also don't really care for racing these cars with T56's because they just don't shift to my liking anyway, too damn notchy. I'm so used to the butter smooth feel of the muncies and toploaders that I just really can't grasp these T56's.

I still like owning one with a T56, and to be honest, it's my wifes daily ride, she drives it most of the time anyway, and it does double duty as the family car for those long road trips and vacations accross country.
    I enjoy driving the auto 4th gen with a 3400 stall.

Here is a fair comparison for ya, since it's the same driver (me )
    I can usually drive the weee out of a stick car, but these T56's I'm not that comfy with. With that said here is what I've found racing both of our 4th gens on several occasions at the track.

My 02 SS vert is an auto. Aside from long tube headers and a 3400 stall it's all stock right down to the factory SLP CME catback. 3,820 lbs. race weight.
    Has run a 12.76 at 107 mph on stock rubber. Got parked for no roll bar (damn convertables).

My wifes 2000 SS T-top 6 speed, has long tube headers, small cam, LS6 intake, and some other tweaks, still stock gears, stock SLP dual/dual catback etc....3,750 lbs. race weight.
    I ran a best of 12.90 at 111 mph on stock rubber. That's coming out relatively easy to save the rearend.

Both cars ran at similar DA's (~2,000 feet) and my auto still beats the 6 speed car to the 1/8 mile marker by .3 tenths. After that it's all 6 speed on the last half of the run. Partly because my wifes car with the small cam really needs more rearend gear. At the end of the track it's neck and neck with the 6 speed coming on strong (but it has a cam)

But the point being it's hard to beat an auto with a stall unless the stick car is setup to run hard and can be driven as such.
    If I had just a small cam in my auto similar to what is in my wifes car,,,,even the end of the track would be no match for my wifes 6speed.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-25-2010 at 02:05 PM.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    When you beat an M6 cause they mis-shifted or spin out. It will be fun.

Or that burger you want to hold. Or the girl in the passenger seat.
    its really hard to argue with that plus the annoying stop and go traffic

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

A4

When you are dealing with that much power either way you will b e happy but when you live in town you want an A4 my car has 110 000 miles and it's stock I run a 13.33 in the 1/4 at 105.88mph and never miss a shift or get tired of shifting. I love my A4 and wouldn't change a thing.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Hey Shady, did or have you at least driven M6's and found them more satisfying to DRIVE????
    i have...when i get a corvette it will be a m6 no questions asked..but once again..the only reason why is because it would be a hpe/aX set up...not a drag set up at all. I wouldnt say satisfying is the right word...cool..yeah..but that feel wore off quickly

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Bah! BAH I say to all you a4 "racers."

Add a line lock and you could teach a 6 year old to "just hold in this button til the big tree lights green, then let go of the button, and push this pedal all the way down."

Yea... there's a test of how well you can operate your machine...

Are you gonna get better/more consistent times on an a4? Sure, but you might as well just buy a season pass to any amusement park that has a LIM launched coaster... You'll feel the same thing (sometimes faster and more g's) for far less cost!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

OK......does ANYONE disagree with Shady??? Any M6'ers want to respectfully challenge his above statement???? Personally, I have no clue, I don't street race that often OR go to the track so my opinion is mute......
    I couldnt agree more with him. Guys needing to prove something always babble how stick is soo much better and blah blah blah.
    I have yet to ever to lose to a stick LS1 car, modded or stock, slaughter them every time.

I have owned a M6 C5 and the Formula. The vette got sold, thats my opinion on manuals.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post

Add a line lock and you could teach a 6 year old to "just hold in this button til the big tree lights green, then let go of the button, and push this pedal all the way down."

Are you gonna get better/more consistent times on an a4? Sure, but you might as well just buy a season pass to any amusement park that has a LIM launched coaster... You'll feel the same thing (sometimes faster and more g's) for far less cost!
    True.........perhaps they should make funny cars and dragsters manual transmissions too. I mean all those guys do is press the pedal on the right............right?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

M6 impresses more that just the high school girls. It impresses all the girls and all your buddies. Even the car guys who actually know the advantages of an automatic at the track will think your car is way cooler if it has a M6. And being cool is all that matters .
    Manual transmissions just ooze sexiness and fit with these car's sexiness.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    True.........perhaps they should make funny cars and dragsters manual transmissions too.
    They are manuals. Only one speed in forward and one speed in reverse though

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    M6 impresses more that just the high school girls. It impresses all the girls and all your buddies. Even the car guys who actually know the advantages of an automatic at the track will think your car is way cooler if it has a M6. And being cool is all that matters .
    Manual transmissions just ooze sexiness and fit with these car's sexiness.
    how the hell does a manual impress people...."ohh you have a 3rd pedal and have to move a stick to select your gear" ..i wouldnt say that should impress anyone

98' trans am

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post

weird...have you tried to launch a high stall car ? far from a stab and go. and i laugh at the highlighted comment.......that is exactly what you want at the track...if you think for some reason running slower..doing more work..and missing shifts = cool at the track ..you are wrong...so go ahead and slam those gears..i'll be ahead of ya cutting a 1.6 60 ft' and running down the quarter while you are trying to play grab ass with traction

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    how the hell does a manual impress people...."ohh you have a 3rd pedal and have to move a stick to select your gear" ..i wouldnt say that should impress anyone
    Pisst........its all in their head

98' trans am

i do believe manuals are a dying breed now tho...with the advent of 6+ gear autos and advances in trans tech leaves the manual to a very very small niche... i still couldnt imagine a z06 with a auto tho

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    They are manuals. Only one speed in forward and one speed in reverse though
    So how much clutch action and shifter lever moving is there after you leave the line Mr. Shmarty Pants? (I said Shmarty on purpose and out of respect I even used an upper case P for Pants)

My point is that they are not grabbing gears.

When you look at other classes like Pro-Stock I think they have manual transmissions but if not mistaken they are clutchless. Right/Wrong?

Ray Charles blue

I am not bad mouthing either. For the fun of it the manual tranny has it and its more rare to see a manual, at least from my experience. The auto is nice at the track though and is much nicer for in town driving and for cruising with a lady.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I've yet to hear anyone say with pride in their voice:

"I never learned to drive a stick."

I like the stories of guys that try to jack cars, jump in, then jump out again "Awwww man!! It's got a stick!!"

Idiot proof racing... Nitrous is automatic, line locks... It's not about two guys (or girls,) with similarly powered machines duking it out to see who's the best driver any more. It's who has the better car/deeper pockets.

Any honestly, I'm not big on Funny cars for the same reason. Smash and dash, hold on for the ride. At least on the amusement park rides I get to shoot around turns, hills, maybe there's a LOOP!!

Look, I'm not knocking what anyone else drives. Hell, I don't even play the brand name game. I was raised in a Ford family. Take pride in what you have and love it. If I was a competitive drag racer, I most likely would race an a4. But it's a lot like golf. Once you hit the ball for the PERFECT drive, you'll be hooked for life. Run the gears perfectly all by yourself once, and you'll be hooked for life.

It's just more FUN!

Unless it's a DD and you commute in traffic... Then I say m6 BITES MY SHINY WHITE ASS!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information