Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 93

A4 or M6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on A4 or M6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by jb3golf I gotta ask.....Why are you performing a LS9 twin clutch install??? What kind of power did ...

  1. #21
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    I gotta ask.....Why are you performing a LS9 twin clutch install??? What kind of power did you add to your car to warrant this install????
    Car is being used by Katech to test fit their new LS9 Twin Disc kit for the 4th gen F-body. I'll leave it at that so we can keep this thread on topic.

    PM me if you want more info.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  2. #22
    Member Leeroyws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    fort worth
    Posts
    151

    black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    I looked for an A4 car because I want to drag race it,I found lots of deals on the M6's before I found my car.

    A4 is way more consistant at the drag strip and your 10 bolt lasts longer.
    x2. i sold my m6 cause i kept getting the clutch pressure fade problem.when u install longtubes,it just makes things worse.i fabbed an exhaust shield,wrapped the line,did the drill mod,bled the clutch,and it still never went away totally.so for me,i wanted an a4 to get away from clutch issues.granted the a4 is a weak link,but if you get a builder that knows what they are doing,they can make one last just like a perfomabuilt or flt tranny.

  3. #23
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    i really wanted an m6 but i settled for an a4 because i got a hell of a deal that i just could not pass up

  4. #24
    Member dav-02ws6-m6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    294
    2002 trans am ws6

    my two v6s(94 camaro & 02 firebird) were autos and i was a little tired of not getting to shift so i waited untill i found my m6 it took me 2 year but it was worth it. So no i would not change it for an A4

  5. #25
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    my two v6s(94 camaro & 02 firebird) were autos and i was a little tire of not getting to shift so i waited untill i found my m6 it took me 2 year but it was worth it. So no i would not change it for an A4
    in a way i wish that i would of done what you did but i got a hell of a deal on mine so i guess it was worth the sacrafice

  6. #26
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,746

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    What up LS1's.......OK i've been noticing a nice balance of either A4's OR M6's on some recent threads. My question (s) are as follows:

    FOR THE A4's: Did you purchase an A4 because you WANTED an automatic, OR you weren't able to find a M6??????? If you had the choice NOW, would you trade for an M6?????
    I wanted a M6 but could only find an A4.
    With a converter and race built tranny. I see no reason to switch. Plus at the track an A4 is the only way to go.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

    666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

    Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

    Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

  7. #27
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I wanted a M6 but could only find an A4.
    With a converter and race built tranny. I see no reason to switch. Plus at the track an A4 is the only way to go.
    true thats one great thing to look at there just not as much fun to drive on the street thats all

  8. #28
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,746

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    true thats one great thing to look at there just not as much fun to drive on the street thats all
    When you beat an M6 cause they mis-shifted or spin out. It will be fun.

    Or that burger you want to hold. Or the girl in the passenger seat.

  9. #29
    Member dav-02ws6-m6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    294
    2002 trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    in a way i wish that i would of done what you did but i got a hell of a deal on mine so i guess it was worth the sacrafice
    I agree it is hard to turn down a good deal, a friend of mine wanted a manual. After a while he found a 99ss m6 with 129k miles and the dealer was asking 9 grand( I know sounds crazy but that's what they were asking for it). he wasn't so sure so he checked on the computer and and found a 99ws6 A4 for 6,000 with only 102k miles. so he got the ws6 instead of the ss.

  10. #30
    Member dav-02ws6-m6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    294
    2002 trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    When you beat an M6 cause they mis-shifted or spin out. It will be fun.

    Or that burger you want to hold. Or the girl in the passenger seat.
    Good point

  11. #31
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Thanks for the reply guys.....So, it sounds like the almighty dollar plays a bigger role than I thought. It seems a good deal is a good deal. It's also becoming obvious that it really depends on what one uses their F-body for.

    One would think an M6 would be funner for the street, and the A4 would be more applicable and consistent at the track.

  12. #32
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    my two v6s(94 camaro & 02 firebird) were autos and i was a little tired of not getting to shift so i waited untill i found my m6 it took me 2 year but it was worth it. So no i would not change it for an A4
    Yeah, this makes sense. I tend to agree with you on your point here. Mine was similiar as I had an auto IROC-Z for years and really wanted to shift gears manually. After driving my buddies LS1WS6T56, I was ready to make the change!

    However I wouldn't mind having one Auto LS1 and one Manual LS1......

  13. #33
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    in a way i wish that i would of done what you did but i got a hell of a deal on mine so i guess it was worth the sacrafice
    What kind of deal are we talking???? How many miles did it have when you purchased it??? Just wondering......

  14. #34
    Army Dude robcas47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ft. Rucker Area, Lower AL
    Posts
    674

    Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

    When I set out to buy an Fbody several years ago I wanted an M6 but could only find A4's within the mileage and price range I wanted. My wife also made the case that she would rather drive an auto. So when I found a good deal I took it, no regrets. Then when I set I set out to replace my Z28 I didn't really care which one I ended up with since it's my DD and as previously mentioned, both have their strong points. I will admit that it is my prefrence to drive a manual but as far as practicality for a DD I am satisfied with my A4, I'm sure I will be more than satisfied once I throw a 3K stall on it

    Although I do plan on getting a third car for weekend cruising, and hopefully by the time I have things sorted out I can be in a C5 or C6. If/when that ever happens it will have to be an M6. Even the wife agrees on that.
    Last edited by robcas47; 10-25-2010 at 11:47 AM.

  15. #35
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    When I set out to buy an Fbody several years ago I wanted an M6 but could only find A4's within the mileage and price range I wanted. My wife also made the case that she would rather drive an auto. So when I found a good deal I took it, no regrets. Then when I set I set out to replace my Z28 I didn't really care which one I ended up with since it's my DD and as previously mentioned, both have their strong points. I will admit that it is my prefrence to drive a manual but as far as practicality for a DD I am satisfied with my A4, I'm sure I will be more than satisfied once I throw a 3K stall on it

    Although I do plan on getting a third car for weekend cruising, and hopefully by the time I have things sorted out I can be in a C5 or C6. If/when that ever happens it will have to be an M6. Even the wife agrees on that.
    I like your disposition on this subject. Sounds like your wifes input is important to you on this subject and I respect that. Kinda makes me feel guilty......I purchased my F-Body, drove it home and surprised my wife. Needless to say the only thing that saved me was the fact it was a convertible! Outside of that I would have had a long trip driving it back to where I purchased it from!lol

  16. #36
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    no questions asked..i wanted the 4l60e so i could stall it and embarrass m6 owners ...remember gents ...unless you are road racing or hpe ...manuals are for impressing high school girls ...while the auto is for winning races

  17. #37
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    no questions asked..i wanted the 4l60e so i could stall it and embarrass m6 owners ...remember gents ...unless you are road racing or hpe ...manuals are for impressing high school girls ...while the auto is for winning races
    OK......does ANYONE disagree with Shady??? Any M6'ers want to respectfully challenge his above statement???? Personally, I have no clue, I don't street race that often OR go to the track so my opinion is mute......

  18. #38
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    no questions asked..i wanted the 4l60e so i could stall it and embarrass m6 owners ...remember gents ...unless you are road racing or hpe ...manuals are for impressing high school girls ...while the auto is for winning races
    Hey Shady, did or have you at least driven M6's and found them more satisfying to DRIVE????

  19. #39
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Wanted M6, so I got M6.

    Wanted fun to drive vehicle and also wanted better gear ratio. So, I gots M6.
    You should be careful of what you say.

    A 3.23 rear gear with the automatics 1st gear of 3.06 gives you 45 mph at just under 6k rpms. With the 3.42 rear and the 1st gear of the T56 of 2.66 you are at 5.5k rpms at 45 mph.

    See what this says? The 3.23 with the auto is steeper out of the hole than the 6-speed with the 3.42 gears. Unless my math is wrong and I highly doubt that it is.

    Please factor all things in when you speak of "better" gears. You need to use tranny ratios, tire size, and the rear gear in order to give an accurate depiction as to what is "better". The reason GM gave automatics a little less gear than the manual tranny cars is not just for the overdrive differences between the two. It is also because of the steeper 1st gear in the automatics. Look back at the 70s with the LT1 Z28s. I believe 4-speeds were given 3.73 and the automatics were given the 3.42.

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    no questions asked..i wanted the 4l60e so i could stall it and embarrass m6 owners ...remember gents ...unless you are road racing or hpe ...manuals are for impressing high school girls ...while the auto is for winning races
    I wanted a 6-speed because my Corvette and my GTO were both but the car I found was an A4. It was nice, not beat, ran great, had low miles, and it would be used as a daily driver so the A4 was not a killer to me. Plus, my girl can drive it and I dont get worried about her "shifting abilitites" or lack there of.

    For an everyday car I prefer the automatic but a 6-speed is not out of the way. As far as a toy car to get used once in a while I would prefer a 6-speed. For drag racing only I would sway towards the automatic for the consistency of it, however there is something to be said for those boys who can pilot the manual tranny cars to really REALLY low times and fast trap speeds.
    Last edited by TLS_Addict; 10-25-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: I used a 25" tall tire for my calculations.......lol

  20. #40
    Army Dude robcas47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ft. Rucker Area, Lower AL
    Posts
    674

    Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    I like your disposition on this subject. Sounds like your wifes input is important to you on this subject and I respect that. Kinda makes me feel guilty......
    My wife and I both love cars and F-Bodies equally. She admits to not being as good a driver when it comes to a manual so I was reluctant to get an M6 to avoid any mishaps on her part and pretty much spare her the guilt or embarrassment. Since I knew she would be driving the car as much as I would, (and even more while I'm away), I leaned more towards an A4. The only reason we both agree on an M6 C5 or C6 is because she simply has always justed wanted own and drive a Vette, and I on the other hand just want to "drive" one.

    Also, I agree that being able to have both an A4 and an M6 would be great because I like having an A4 DD, especially when in traffic trying to get on post. But there are also the fun lil burnouts, parking lot fun, and just plain mash'n it and keeping her straight . But then with a M6 I feel more involved with the car and the driving experience which makes it that much more of a treat. So for a car that is meant for pure recreational purposes I personally would want it to be a M6. Hope this makes sense to you all. Just my 2 cents...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •