Thread: A4 or M6

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

A4 or M6

I know this has probably been gone over a million times but here is my twist. Auto vs manual... but I really want m6. Does anyone have an automatic car but wanted a manual? Are you happy with it? Also any info about stalled cars would be helpful.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

They both serve their purpose. There is no right or wrong to it. I want a manual performance car and that will be my next vehicle. I currently have a stalled auto and once you put a stall in an auto, it is just as fun to drive as a manual. If you have any friends that have a stalled auto, try to drive one and see what you think for yourself.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

i argee with Preston............... drive both m6 and a4 and see witch one you like better and take it from there

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What are you wanting to use the car for most of the time?
    any specific goals?

White
    2001 Z28

i agree, but the most fun to drive is an m6 you ill love it believe me.

Now i want all my cars to be manual

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

Well I'd be in school Fall/Winter so basically just a Summer driver. I've drove my cousin's m6 ws6 and I really like it but when I keep looking for fbodys most are auto. I just don't want to make a mistake and get an automatic then want to sell. I'll have to look for someone with a stalled car and try it out.

you can always convert a A4 to a m6 and visa versa. find an auto if that is all you can afford or find then save up for M6 swap if that is what you want

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

Anyone have pic's of conversions?? Is price range about $1,200-$2k?

a conversion looks the same bud. you buy everything from a donor car then cut a hole in floor for shifter and cut hole on firewall for slave. my car is a conversion

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

Guess I was wasn't thinking right... I was picturing some ghetto looking conversion. Is that the cheapest way? Pull parts from a wrecked car.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanvb View Post
    Guess I was wasn't thinking right... I was picturing some ghetto looking conversion. Is that the cheapest way? Pull parts from a wrecked car.
    finding a donor or a good GM salvage yard is best way about it. now if you can find someone trying to swap to an auto with his M6 parts thats willing to trade.

why would anyone do ghetto things?

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

HAHA. They wouldn't want to but I was just picturing some 6 speed shifter poking through the floor like someone sawed the floor.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

A4 are more consistant and for the most part faster,there are a very few exceptions,and I dont know any of them.If you want to be a tire burner and impress your freinds get a M6,otherwise an AUTO is way better with a good stall,one will never miss, a gear or a clutch again...always thought it was funny clutch rymed with crutch..brings to mind, handycapd..
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

qwkgto makes a valid point. A4 is always going to be consistent. Personally I don't manage to make it to the track near often enough, so I've always preferred manuals. More fun playing around out on the street to me. All personal preferrence really.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I never considered an automatic in a performance car until I test drove our '02 WS.6 last year. One drive and that was all it took.

If you want more "play" out of an A4, you can easily use a handheld tuner to adjust the shift points, or shift it manually. For now, ours is stock and still a whole lot of fun.

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

I really need to find a friend with a stalled car, Ls1 would be the best, and drive it and see. The point of "consistency" is a really good one for a4.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

M6 the only way for me. it is a sports car and I want to drive it a A4 is only going to be faster if your a really bad driver or you start getting really fast in the 1/4 mile

White
    2001 Z28

yea automatic is better in some points no missing gears, but i like to drive my car and have it on the gear i want and not let a computer drive it for me i like the feel of shifting it.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I never considered an automatic in a performance car until I test drove our '02 WS.6 last year. One drive and that was all it took.

If you want more "play" out of an A4, you can easily use a handheld tuner to adjust the shift points, or shift it manually. For now, ours is stock and still a whole lot of fun.
    put in a stall converter ,then you can have alot more fun.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by victor111262 View Post
    yea automatic is better in some points no missing gears, but i like to drive my car and have it on the gear i want and not let a computer drive it for me i like the feel of shifting it.
    you can have that with a manual shift auto as well,I have two cars like that,start out in 1st just like a stick car,far less probems missing gears and with clutches going bad,anyone thats ever gotten a clutch hot knows what I mean,at that point funs done or you ruin it.
    Dont take me wrong I have had stick cars and love to dive them but they all have their limits,when it comes to the Goat, the transmission is limited to around 500rwh after that both need alot of work to maintain.
    Last edited by qwkgto; 03-18-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Thread Information