Thread: a4 to m5? m6?

black
    1999 camaro z28

a4 to m5? m6?

don't know where exactly this post needs to go, guess they'll move it if i'm wrong...

i just bought a 1998 z28 automatic with around 120k on the clock for $3,800.00, i wanted to rebuild the motor and transmission and decided that i want to make it a manual transmission while i've got everything down... this is possible correct?

does anyone know how difficult it is?
    also what do i need to do this?
    it's coming up on winter time and am looking for a project but, if it is really hard to do or more expensive than just buying a manual then i will just leave it as an automatic and just rebuild the motor and transmission.
    AMERICAN muscle

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by +throw back+ View Post
    don't know where exactly this post needs to go, guess they'll move it if i'm wrong...

i just bought a 1998 z28 automatic with around 120k on the clock for $3,800.00, i wanted to rebuild the motor and transmission and decided that i want to make it a manual transmission while i've got everything down... this is possible correct?

does anyone know how difficult it is?
    also what do i need to do this?
    it's coming up on winter time and am looking for a project but, if it is really hard to do or more expensive than just buying a manual then i will just leave it as an automatic and just rebuild the motor and transmission.
    Yes it can be done and GM actually has everything in place on the car to make it simple to do.....now....just my story....I did exactly what you're wanting to do....I converted my car to a 6-speed and I'm now wishing I had left the 4l60E in it!!! I actually sold my old tranny for $500 just to get it out of my garage......just for drag racing I wish I had kept it and built it up!! Dont get me wrong I enjoy my 6-speed but if you're going to ever take it to the track keep it auto.......

black
    1999 camaro z28

so this is definately something i'll have to pay someone to do?
    i mean how is everything already set up for it? i'm not a track guy, in fact i'll bet my house i'll never be on a track, but i will keep the old tranny in case i eve wanna go back. what parts do i need, how long did it take you? whats the process? you wouldn't happen to have pics, or a mini write up would you?
    CAILEY?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by +throw back+ View Post
    so this is definately something i'll have to pay someone to do?
    i mean how is everything already set up for it? i'm not a track guy, in fact i'll bet my house i'll never be on a track, but i will keep the old tranny in case i eve wanna go back. what parts do i need, how long did it take you? whats the process? you wouldn't happen to have pics, or a mini write up would you?
    CAILEY?
    Well it all depends on how mechanically inclined you are....GM has everything already there, dimples where the clutch master cylinder rod would go thru the firewall.....the auto crossmember will actually fit the m-6...you'll need to wire the reverse lights, neutral safety switch and such but it's already in the wiring bundle.....I actually have the wiring diagram somewhere around this house......you will need pedals, master cylinder, clutch, tranny of course and a few other small items......took me two days to do.......I took my time though......you also have to go in and reprogram the computer to let it know that it doesn't have a auto.......LS1 edit or some other tuning program will take care of that......but I ask you this......instead of putting this money into this conversion why not put it in your auto beefing it up.......you can get LS1 edit/hypertech, any of those programming units and control the shift points and such...just a thought.....I'm telling you....I really wish I had kept mine!!!! But I know what you mean by wanting to row thru the gears......it's fun.......I'll try to help you as much as I can...but I leave next saturday for Afganistan.......so response may be a little slow...
    Last edited by cailey37; 11-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

This is funny. Most go the other way. Best of luck.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by koolaid_kid View Post

Seems like the post of a spooty -head who learned to drive on his moms Buick automatic wagon.He can't quite seem to graduate.Are you impressed? I'm not. I love my M6 .

white
    98 Camaro Z28

i also want to rid my car of the a4 and mine is already beefed up, vette servo, green racing clutches, transgo shift kit.
    but i really rahter shift myself. id love a write up on step by step and a total parts list. i can prolly get a good amount for my a4 it only had 10k on it since complete rebuild.

Black
    SS 02 6SPD

As long as it goes fast....

Quote Originally Posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    Most people go from from auto to stick? Anyways...quick hijack...cailey37 why are you going to Afganistan?

Dreaming of an LS1 senior gomez's Avatar

Teal
    91 teg (stock,notmodding)

if you are pretty mechanically inclined it might take you anywhere from a few days to a few weeks also depending on if you can get access to a lift or on the ground. i know at Hawks its about 3200 installed and ready to drive, but its done right. my buddy did one there in 13 hours so it all depends but i definatly would go for it if you can.

red
    2002 camaro ss

I did one for a friend of mine. It's not bad at all, as long as you are prepared. There is some stuff you can do along the way. Like hang pedals, mount clutch master, and stuff like that. If your PCM is stock (no custom tune), you might be able to just get it re-flashed for a M6. On my buddies '02, the part numbers for M6 and A4 cars PCMs are the same. It's been a little over a year ago (memory fading) but I'll help you as much as I can. Good Luck

Thread Information