98T/Aformula

98 A4 with 3.23s ?

I ordered new 3.73s a week ago and they showed up yesterday, so I go to get them installed this morning and the guy asks me what gear I have in it now, and from what I have found out, I tought I had 2.73s, so he says that wont work because of the carrier size is to small and I will need to get a thicker gear for it to work...Right before I leave he says, all though if I did have 3.23s then bring it back and he can put them in due to the carrier size will make it work. So I get home and call GM and I have them run my VIN number and they say that stock an A4 T/A Formula has 3.23s...Am I going crazy cuz I swore A4s came with 2.73s ???

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula View Post
    I ordered new 3.73s a week ago and they showed up yesterday, so I go to get them installed this morning and the guy asks me what gear I have in it now, and from my what I have found out I tought I had 2.73s, so he says that wont work because of the carrier and I will need to get a thicker gear for it to work...Right before I leave he says, all though if I did have 3.23s then bring it back and he can put them in due to the carrier size will make it work. So I get home and call GM and I have them run my VIN number and they say that stock an A4 T/A Formula has 3.23s...Am I going crazy cuz I swore A4s came with 2.73s ???
    door code is GU5, look it up. and the mechanic doesnt make sense. he cannot put gears into your carrier for what reason? you dont need a new carrier for 3.73s. (atleast im about 99.9% sure)

98T/Aformula
    Your right I dont need a new carrier it just needs to be a thicker ring so that the penion will reach it ok, but if I have 3.23s in it right now the carrier will be big enough that the penion will reach it just fine, which I have never heard of or even thought about up until this point, but I also thought I had 2.73s in my stock rear ?

GU2 - 2.73 - 2 series carrier
    GU5 - 3.23 - 3 series carrier

Sometimes people change the gears or the entire rear too. My car came with 2.73's so the door says GU2, but have a complete 3.42 rear out of an M6 car in mine.

98T/Aformula
    GU5 haha so I do have 3.23s good to know now, thanks 2001NBMZ28 !

Thread Information