Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

9" vs 12 bolt

This is a discussion on 9" vs 12 bolt within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Very good info & pics!!...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Very good info & pics!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Midwest chassis here. I would recommend to anyone. Also have a short torque arm with the tsp true duals because MWC builds the mount and fit great.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I probably already posted in here but I have a Strange 12 bolt and I couldn't be happier. I bought it used and spent about $1,300 on it total. It's strong enough for over the 500 rwhp that I am putting through it. I drive the car everyday with 315 MT drag radials. It hooks (doesnt spin) at over 3K launches and has never complained. I got a modified posi (setup as a locker) with 4:10s. IMO, for the average street car (which is what 90% of the guys on here have) a 12 bolt is good enough and far less expensive. Lets put it this way, a 12 bolt isnt overkill and will do the job just fine.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 06-22-2011 at 05:24 PM.

black
    02 ss camaro

For the folks with 9's...are they prone to some gear whine. I just installed one in my car and there is some gear whine. Is it possible with the short torque arm mounted to the tunnel brace that more noise is transfered to the inside of the car?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    For the folks with 9's...are they prone to some gear whine. I just installed one in my car and there is some gear whine. Is it possible with the short torque arm mounted to the tunnel brace that more noise is transfered to the inside of the car?
    Yes, you are correct. The short arm is the worst of them all. It transfers a lot of noise through the floor regardless if it is gear whine or vibrations from other components in the drive train.

The 9" rears are less prone to gear whine though due to their design. Its all the the way it was setup though.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 06-22-2011 at 06:05 PM.

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Yes, you are correct. The short arm is the worst of them all. It transfers a lot of noise through the floor regardless if it is gear whine or vibrations from other components in the drive train.

The 9" rears are less prone to gear whine though due to their design. Its all the the way it was setup though.
    It was set-up correctly by MWC. I saw the marking compound pattern and it was damn near perfect.

I'm thinking about going back to the long arm trans mounted torque arm.

I think the short arm is more for track cars.My car see's the steet time more than the track.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

It was set-up correctly by MWC. I saw the marking compound pattern and it was damn near perfect.

I think the short arm is more for track cars.My car see's the steet time more than the track.
    There are ways to Help isolate noise from being transmitted also.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Obviously is wasn't if you hear gear whine. Seeing the marking compound means nothing unless you know what you are looking at. I don't mean to put you down but there is more to it than the what you see.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Sold my tunnel mounted torque arm cause of the noise.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Obviously is wasn't if you hear gear whine. Seeing the marking compound means nothing unless you know what you are looking at. I don't mean to put you down but there is more to it than the what you see.
    This. If a rear-end is set-up correctly, there will be no noise, or very little. If you are hearing whine, most likely the pre-load, backlash, or pinion depth is not correct.

As for the thread, I have a Moser 9" with the TruTrac and I've had zero issues with it thus far other than an initial axle seal leak that I solved myself with some patience, homemade tool, and RTV. I'll be really putting it to the test though as I just finished up my FI build.

Red
    1998 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    well danny miller rear gears makes a 9 inch houseing for f body which come with moser axle for $1000 and I build a 3rd member myself totally I spent $1500 on a bulletproof rearend build yourself and save some money
    How much noise does yours make? The noise in mine is totally not acceptable except for short jaunts around the city and the 1320 sprint. I'm running 4.11's and recently moved up to 4.56's.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information