Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 111

9" vs 12 bolt

This is a discussion on 9" vs 12 bolt within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; For an M6 that will see alot of track time you can go 12 bolt with a spool. Very tuff, ...

  1. #21
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    For an M6 that will see alot of track time you can go 12 bolt with a spool. Very tuff, the posi is the week link in a 12 bolt. 9 inch with Detroit locker or spool is bullet proof also. Putting a posi in a 9 inch will make a weak link. I've heard mixed things about the True Trac.

  2. #22
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    9 inch for ANY car planning on launching hard.


    Rarely hear of the 9" failing.
    Heard of some horror stories about 12 bolt's giving out. Mostly on really high powered M6 cars though.

    I prefer the way the torque arm mounts to the 9" as well.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

  3. #23
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Wish I had a 9" instead of a 12 bolt really.

    9" all the way.

    Now, who here thinks a S60 is overkill???

  4. #24
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    9" > s60

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Parkton MD
    Age
    53
    Posts
    138

    NBM
    2002 Z28

    I would recommend a Fab 9'' from Midwest Chassis, they are light and come with a torque arm and LCA relocation brackets. If you plan on keeping the car, racing it some, and adding more power with future mods, you will have peace of mind with the rear.I will see if I can find some pics.

  6. #26
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    im going midwest when the times come too!

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    140

    Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

    Fab 9" from midwest would basically make my a4 bulletproof right guys?

  8. #28
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Personally I think a 12 bolt does just fine for any A4.

  9. #29
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Personally I think a 12 bolt does just fine for any A4.
    Agreed.

  10. #30
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Wish I had a 9" instead of a 12 bolt really.

    9" all the way.

    Now, who here thinks a S60 is overkill???
    What is wrong with your 12 bolt? I am guessing it's a Moser?

  11. #31
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    I am biased when it comes to Ford vs. Chevy but that is besides the point! Please no flaming. I know that 9.9 outta 10 will say go 9"

    I have a Strange 12 bolt and it is a pretty stout piece. The c-clip eliminators actually make use of Ford set 20 bearings but that is about it. If the car is a street car and see's a fair amount of track time, I would go with the 12 bolt. You will have less drivetrain loss ((Strange even makes 12 bolt center sections for Ford rears for those who want the least DT loss)) and the #1 reason to get one is the fact that you can get them DIRT CHEAP. Repeat, DIRT CHEAP!

  12. #32
    Senior Member camarojunky74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    corona ca
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,258

    white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I am biased when it comes to Ford vs. Chevy but that is besides the point! Please no flaming. I know that 9.9 outta 10 will say go 9"

    I have a Strange 12 bolt and it is a pretty stout piece. The c-clip eliminators actually make use of Ford set 20 bearings but that is about it. If the car is a street car and see's a fair amount of track time, I would go with the 12 bolt. You will have less drivetrain loss ((Strange even makes 12 bolt center sections for Ford rears for those who want the least DT loss)) and the #1 reason to get one is the fact that you can get them DIRT CHEAP. Repeat, DIRT CHEAP!
    i am in total agreeance with brandon, i just finished a 12 bolt install, it literally bolted right in, and cost 2100 brand new with 33 spline axles, c clip eliminators and has 3.73's but will soon be changed to 4.10's. strange is a very good company, i really think mods go thru "phases" like hairstyles for girls, moser imo was one of them, way overpriced and way to much drivetrain loss. get a 12 bolt, and be on your way with some money left for dinner. none of this top ramen shit while all your money goes to your car, im eating steak bitches.

    just my .02c

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    140

    Pewter
    2000 A4 WS6

    I love it "I'm eating steak bitches"

  14. #34
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Itllrun View Post
    I love it "I'm eating steak bitches"
    x2

  15. #35
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    What rear do you have Shady? EDIT: Just saw your other post. Going Midwest.

  16. #36
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    What is wrong with your 12 bolt? I am guessing it's a Moser?
    Nothings really wrong with it, It is a DTS housing with moser axles and center section. It does whine slightly at about 55 mph. Im swaping the 3.73's out for 4.11 before summer. I guess my opinion was soley based on,

    You have heard of people with M6 breaking 12 bolts. I dont think I have ever heard of a M6 breaking a 9". Im sure it has happened. Thats my only view on it.

  17. #37
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Nothings really wrong with it, It is a DTS housing with moser axles and center section. It does whine slightly at about 55 mph. Im swaping the 3.73's out for 4.11 before summer. I guess my opinion was soley based on,

    You have heard of people with M6 breaking 12 bolts. I dont think I have ever heard of a M6 breaking a 9". Im sure it has happened. Thats my only view on it.
    Only heard of two guys breaking the 9'. One was Fireball and he abused that thing for years and years. Other was a guy on LS1 Tech and the housing broke on a brand new one. Just a freak thing. Usually M6 guys that break 12 bolts it is the Eaton posi that goes. If you don't mind runnin a spool I know several guys runnin spools in em that seriously beat on em at the track all year long.

  18. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    45
    Posts
    37

    Black
    00 SS camaro

    I vote midwest fabed 9" also its what I run and it will never break and weighs the same as the 10 bolt.

  19. #39
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    I remember putting a rating on rear ends...i said something like:

    So 9" is a A+ and the 12-bolt is a B+

    Most agreed.

    Aren't they about the same price anyways?

  20. #40
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I remember putting a rating on rear ends...i said something like:

    So 9" is a A+ and the 12-bolt is a B+

    Most agreed.

    Aren't they about the same price anyways?
    New, yeah almost, but used the 12 is far cheaper

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale: 4- GM SUV 17"x7" 6 bolt alloy wheels/tires
    By Willfully Armed in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 02:59 AM
  2. What is "Full Bolt-Ons"
    By 98Z28CamaroJG in forum External Engine
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
  3. 9" and 12 bolt
    By cabotgsxr in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 11:09 AM
  4. 12 bolt or 9"
    By transamprincess98 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
  5. Would like advice on my next "bolt on"
    By samfrsails in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •