Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

9" Almost In

This is a discussion on 9" Almost In within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Job well done, thanks for the pics....

  1. #21
    Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,045

    Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

    Job well done, thanks for the pics.

  2. #22
    Member One_Bad_TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    480

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    If it whines now, it will always whine. One Bad T/A and LS1camino, where did you guys get your rears? New or used?
    I got mine new from a guy who is a direct dealer of Moser. At a really good price

  3. #23
    Member One_Bad_TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    480

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Exact same with mine...I figure it's the Detroit Locker and 4.10s. I'll give it more time, especially after I get the sway bar on and really get on it.
    Wow that makes me feel a lot better, I have a Trac Loc, which is what the guy told me, and he shimmed it up so I shouldnt have to worry about that. Ive got over 800 miles on mine and no sounds have changed and nothing else has been noticeable. I checked my u joint it is good, after driving home from work you can hold your hand to the diff and it isnt hot at all. So Im pretty sure this is normal but thanks Ls1camino, that makes me feel sooo much better

  4. #24
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    I got mine new from a guy who is a direct dealer of Moser. At a really good price
    I would contact them if you feel it is excessive.

  5. #25
    Member One_Bad_TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    480

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I would contact them if you feel it is excessive.
    I talked to him about what I was experiencing and what was going on and he told me as long as the sounds are not getting louder or more violent, there is sufficient oil in it, and the diff is cool enough to touch after drving I should be ok. I think i still might contact them just to make sure

  6. #26
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Used here.

    And I really don't mind if it whines, as long as it's not that, I'm-just-whining-cause-I'm-going-to-blow-up-on-you whine.
    Did you ever pull out the center section and check it out? I would have and you should always do that when you buy a used rear. And IMO, even if it was new, I would check the clearances.

  7. #27
    Member One_Bad_TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    480

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Did you ever pull out the center section and check it out? I would have and you should always do that when you buy a used rear. And IMO, even if it was new, I would check the clearances.
    Actually I got the housing first, put that in the car then waited for him to set up the pumpkin and threw that in after the rear end was bolted up. Ill see if I can take the person for a ride just to see what they say

  8. #28
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Actually I got the housing first, put that in the car then waited for him to set up the pumpkin and threw that in after the rear end was bolted up. Ill see if I can take the person for a ride just to see what they say
    When does the vibration accure?

    Do you have an adjustable T/A ?

    Sometimes a slight whine or vibration can be caused by an improper pinion angle and can be cured by adjusting it. Every car will react different to a given angle.

  9. #29
    Member One_Bad_TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    480

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    When does the vibration accure?

    Do you have an adjustable T/A ?

    Sometimes a slight whine or vibration can be caused by an improper pinion angle and can be cured by adjusting it. Every car will react different to a given angle.
    It occurs when Im coasting or light acceleration. No I do not I have the stock torque arm. I do have a prothane tranny mount which did create some vibration but I will have to look into that pinion angle, how do you check that?

  10. #30
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    It occurs when Im coasting or light acceleration. No I do not I have the stock torque arm. I do have a prothane tranny mount which did create some vibration but I will have to look into that pinion angle, how do you check that?
    The pinion could be to deep or you could have excessive pinion to ring gear clearance. There is not much you can do about it. You should have it looked at.

    To check the pinion angle, you will need a level finder and search on here for a good write up on how to adjust it. There is not really anything that you can do to change it other than get an adjustable T/A. Lowering a car and some other things can effect it and sometimes small changes create these issues.

  11. #31
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    I have an adjustable torque arm, I just haven't installed it yet. What is a good way to find the proper angle? Should the pinion yoke be perfectly level/even/parallel with the ground?

  12. #32
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    i herd -2 to -1 is a good setup

  13. #33
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i herd -2 to -1 is a good setup
    This is true. It is a good place to start but all cars will react different.

  14. #34
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    This is true. It is a good place to start but all cars will react different.
    oh i hear ya..just giving him a starting point/good setup

  15. #35
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Here is a good video to give you an idea of what you need to do. You do not have to use an angle finder but believe me, it will save you alot of aggrivation. They are cheap too, only about $12-$18


  16. #36
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Here is a good video to give you an idea of what you need to do. You do not have to use an angle finder but believe me, it will save you alot of aggrivation. They are cheap too, only about $12-$18

    nice!

  17. #37
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Here is a good video to give you an idea of what you need to do. You do not have to use an angle finder but believe me, it will save you alot of aggrivation. They are cheap too, only about $12-$18

    Is much going to change if it's not "at factory ride height"?

  18. #38
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Is much going to change if it's not "at factory ride height"?
    Yes,

  19. #39
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Yes,
    Should I still shoot for negative 2 Degrees? or should I go researching? Cause honestly, my ride height is "custom" Eibach Prokit on the front and stock springs on the back.

  20. #40
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Should I still shoot for negative 2 Degrees? or should I go researching? Cause honestly, my ride height is "custom" Eibach Prokit on the front and stock springs on the back.
    Honestly just check it. Shoot for 0 to -2 and see what works best. It my be dead on from a factory spec but that doesn't mean it is right for you setup

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hussein Obama: Opponents to Iran "Deal" are "Crazies"...
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM
  2. Obama "Admits" to "Long Term Campaign" Against ISIS...
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2015, 05:01 PM
  3. Hard Left in Knots over "Wacist" Prism of "Cat Call" vid
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 05:07 PM
  4. Weather Channel Co-founder: "Climate Change" is "Not Valid"
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2014, 06:44 AM
  5. 1995ish Mustang GT "Boss" Vs. 2000 Z28 "Millennium"
    By My00Z28 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •