Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

6-Speed R&R with headers

So, I need to take out the transmission for a rebuild, I have 117k miles on it and the car now.

Who has removed their transmission or helped take it out, when the car has headers. How much of a PITA was it? How much did you spend to rebuild it? I was looking at RPM transmissions nearby in Indiana.

The problems are noise when decelerating when I have the clutch dis-engaged when in 1st thru 3rd, sometimes no gear available from a parking lot situation unless I shut off the car (clutch engagement is always normal, but since the trans is coming out I will replace it anyway) and I can hear a bearing squeak/chirping when accelerating and the shifting is a lot more notchy now, this has been happening for the last 1,000 miles. It is not a driveshaft u-joint (I wish!) or a clutch issue, I've replaced 30+ clutches in my career but not one in a 4th gen. The clutch does not slip, and it still engages at the halfway point on the pedal travel like it has for the past 75,000 miles.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I had Bob at Brute Speed rebuild mine using RPM transmission. It has been flawless since. Cost was around 2K for the level IV upgrade. R&R was $250 I believe.

Can't comment on your other questions. He exclusively uses RPM though. From what I understand, they are one of the best around.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I would recommend removing the ypipe, some manage to squeeze it out but it would make it a lot easier being out of the way

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    I would recommend removing the ypipe, some manage to squeeze it out but it would make it a lot easier being out of the way
    this, the y pipe needs to come off. other than that its just the basics, shifter, console plate, cross member and wiring. then it just drops straight out the clutch gets replaced just as easily too and for a rebuild company i'd recommend tick or tdp. tdp is a little closer to you down in texas and they do great work

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

RPM is in Indiana

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea, TooFast is in Indy.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The Gearbox does great work and the cost is about average. www.thegearbox.org
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe Walt used them and has had a really good outcome.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Thanks everyone. I've heard good things about RPM also, but I don't think I need a level 4 upgrade for my application. It may be there base rebuild, so that's what I'll probably end up with. Level 4 on their website says $2400, exchange. They send me the transmission and I send them back the core.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Thanks everyone. I've heard good things about RPM also, but I don't think I need a level 4 upgrade for my application. It may be there base rebuild, so that's what I'll probably end up with. Level 4 on their website says $2400, exchange. They send me the transmission and I send them back the core.
    Correct. I opted to get my own back since I only had 12k miles on it at the time of rebuild. I also got a discount going through Bob.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I looked at RPM's site and while the product looks good it seems expensive and you have to add 185.00 for pads and bushings some of the others include. Buy a Stage II kit from The Gearbox for 635.00, pay around 350.00 for R & R of the trans, add another 25.00 for fluid and go around to respected trans shops and ask if any of the mechanics do work on the side, just don't let the shop owner know about it. I paid about 450.00 dollars to have mine done this way and the mechanic asked me questions and recommended some additional things during the rebuild. It's an a la carte approach but it save me huge bucks that I put back into the car for other things. JMO
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 08-31-2012 at 05:55 AM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I looked at RPM's site and while the product looks good it seems expensive and you have to add 185.00 for pads and bushings some of the others include. Buy a Stage II kit from The Gearbox for 635.00, pay around 350.00 for R & R of the trans, add another 25.00 for fluid and go around to respected trans shops and ask if any of the mechanics do work on the side, just don't let the shop owner know about it. I paid about 450.00 dollars to have mine done this way and the mechanic asked me questions and recommended some additional things during the rebuild. It's an a la carte approach but it save me huge bucks that I put back into the car for other things. JMO
    That's good info, thanks.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Thanks for the advice, Keith. I have thought about that, but as a former tech that idea makes me nervous. So, I did talk with Jeremy at RPM and he said I can save some money by having them rebuild my trans. I can also save by dropping it off at their shop. I am roughly 45 minutes away from them, from where I work.

Jeremys says the level 4 is how they believe this transmission should've been from the factory.

He also said that the slave cylinder upgrade is more important then the Tick master cylinder upgrade for the pedal hydraulic issue, if you do the drill mod.

Thread Information