White
    2001 camaro SS

4th Gen with a new Gen auto 6 speed

Would it even work to put a new 5th gen auto 6 speen in a 4th gen camaro, or has anyone thought about it or tried to do it? This my be a dumb idea but it was just something that was on my mind, im jw thats all.
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I've wanted to do this also with the complete engine and tranny from a new camaro. I was told the transmission is too big to fit in a 4th gen. Unless you did some major cutting and hammering.

Sent from Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk 2.
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

It would take major surgery to fit one in a 4th gen. Trans tunnel is too small for that behemouth.

Seems I remember some strength issues with this trans too. Only good for so much HP. Not sure if that's been figured out since it's still in it's infancy.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by BadTA00 View Post
    I've wanted to do this also with the complete engine and tranny from a new camaro. I was told the transmission is too big to fit in a 4th gen. Unless you did some major cutting and hammering.

Sent from Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk 2.
    The problem isnt really fitment as its dimensions are about the same as a 4l60e except it satys the same width all the way back whereas a 4l60e tapers down. It has been fitted into 1st gens and 60's vettes with no issues. To get one to ft in a 4th gen you'd need a different custom cross member and probably a torque arm relocation mount. However that's not the big issue. The 6l80/90 is controlled by the newer 58x pcms and cannot be controlled by the ls1 pcm. So the only option is that you control it with an ls3 pcm or you get a stand alone controller (no one makes one). And just a small tid bit more the ls3 pcm wont work with your car because the ls3 58x pcm wont work with the gauges or bcm in the car.

All in all if you want 2 more gears you need a t56 or tci 6x4l60e.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

...and deffinetly not worth your time if you leave a 10-bolt behind it.. imho

If you really want a 6 speed auto I'd lean towards the 6 speed auto that is basically made out of a 4L80E. Out of the box capable of holding 850 HP and it has a better gear spread, as well as it's own controller. It bolts to any BBC, SBC, LS or LT1....
    Check TCI...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

if I had 5k i'd be all over that lol. but in all seriousness if you want more gears the cheapest way to get there is by doing a t56 swap lol

Thread Information