Thread: 4l60e headache

Black
    1998 Trans Am

4l60e headache

newbie here, 1st post so bear with me....
    Recently purchased a 98 trans am a4 car.. My third f body, love these cars, 1st 4l60e car.
    Let me start off by saying this car was neglected, needed a ton of work. crack lid, missing bolts everywhere, cracked coil packs, hanging botched exhaust, but the body was in pretty good shape, no rust , florida car... In hind sight, probably over paid at 6000, but it is what it is....
    since purchasing the car ive done the following:
    Super sucker, ac delete ram air kit, fast toys 98 mm lid, vette 85 mm maf, ported the tb, tb coolant bypass, ls6 intake, VMH high output coil packs, TSP 1 7/8 long tube headers, 3 inch Y pipe, borla exhaust, slp underdrive pulley, came with aftermarket panhard bar and rear lca's as well as bolt on sfc's.
    while doing the headers i noticed one of the torque converter bolts was sheered off, so now im seeking information on the 4L60e.
    Im not putting a stock converter back in, nor does it make sense to a brand new yanks or tci converter against a transmission that has 100,000 miles...
    ive done some research and have a good idea of what I want inside my transmission, shift kit, vette servo, .500 boost valve, sonnax pinless accumulator, 5 pin planetary, 3-4 upgrade ect....
    NOW FOR MY QUESTION...................
    Local trans guy says stick with the stock converter and states " if you put a 3600 stall torque converter in it, the car wont move until your motor revs to 3600 RPM's " when taking off from stop signs and traffic lights.......
    Is this true????
    Ive never heard of this. Being and older guy, ive had alot of experience late 60's early 70's cars, many with stall converters and never seen this happen, Take your foot off the brake and car moves and idles along fine, step on the gas and the rpms may rise but the car moves, and at a light or dead still with foot on the brake, converter will flash close to advertised stall.......
    who out there has upgraded 4L60e transmissions with stall converters and how are they on the street.....
    looking for feedback and some direction before i commit and spend, I dont want a stock transmission..
    I live in southeast Michigan, so if anyone reading this can refer me to someone in my area, Id greatly appreciate it
    Last edited by sinisterfiend187; 07-09-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Blue
    98 Trans Am

I can't believe no one ever replied to this. I have a 3400 stall with a built 4l60e and u notice the stall but no it doesn't rev to 3400 just to move. At a stoplight if your on flat ground I can let off my brake pedal and it just sits there. Ease into the throttle and the car moves. I bought a mad dog transmission and have read all the horror stories but it has held very well. Best trans I've had so far and this is my 7th trans. If u put a stall in it just make sure to put a cooler on and just bypass the original cooler that goes thru the radiator.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by heath26 View Post
    I can't believe no one ever replied to this. I have a 3400 stall with a built 4l60e and u notice the stall but no it doesn't rev to 3400 just to move. At a stoplight if your on flat ground I can let off my brake pedal and it just sits there. Ease into the throttle and the car moves. I bought a mad dog transmission and have read all the horror stories but it has held very well. Best trans I've had so far and this is my 7th trans. If u put a stall in it just make sure to put a cooler on and just bypass the original cooler that goes thru the radiator.
    Torque converter stall speed is based on a particular engine with a particular power/torque rating and curves.

An engine with 20% more/less power than what the converter had been baselined around will have a different stall speed than the baseline engine has.

TBH, if the rear is stock, I would keep a lower rpm converter, as to minimize the shock that a launch would put on it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What the hell is a super sucker?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Blue
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    What the hell is a super sucker?
    - - - Updated - - -

I'm curious as well lol

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious as well lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious as well lol
    When I Googled it:

Super Sucker Masturbator - Spencer's

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I see you just made your next date!

Blue
    98 Trans Am

Haha haha SUPER SUCKERS FOR EVERYONE

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Haha haha SUPER SUCKERS FOR EVERYONE
    Next car of the month prize?
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I've ran the following 4L60E converters on the street with very little degradation in drive ability: SS3200, SS3600, & PAS3400 all by Yank. Just because the stall speed states say 3200 (in the case of the SS3200) That doesn't mean the car won't move till 3200 rpm. Just that if you smash the gas pedal to the floor then it will flash to 3200ish before taking off.

2002 Black WS6 A4.
    FI, H/C, LT headers, full exhaust, Fast 90/90. MWC Fab 9". Subframe connectors,
    Lower Control Arms, Panhard bar, Torque arm Strano Springs & Sway Bars.
    Koni Yellows. FLT Stage VII trans w/ PAS3400
    ASC# 4619 Conversion date was Dec 3, 2001

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I street drive a 3,200 in our car with zero issues. Make sure that you install a supplemental transmission cooler.

Thread Information