Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Is 4.56 too much?

I am planning on ordering the Strange's f-body 12 bolt and I was looking at either ther 4.11 or 4.56. On my Mustang I went up to strange 3.73 and was very disapointed because my rpm's were really low on the highway and I had taking some advice from a guy on a Mustang forum board saying "the 4.10 will make you rpm go thru the roof on the highway".

So what do you guys think? I will be driving the car on the highway to and from the track.

After the rear end I will be installing cam, intake, tb and new heads, rockers, lifter and valve springs. If the transmission makes it through the summer I will rebuild that in the fall. I don't know why they put such a crappy drivetrain in these cars. A 4L80 and 12 bolt would have been a great combo.

Another question, is there a way I can tell from my VIN if I have a 3 or 4 channel? Has anyone had issues shutting ABS off? I hate ABS, still can't get in the habit of not pumping the brakes. Can't teach an old dog new trick I guess.

PS I have an A4

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by driftpin View Post
    I am planning on ordering the Strange's f-body 12 bolt and I was looking at either ther 4.11 or 4.56. On my Mustang I went up to strange 3.73 and was very disapointed because my rpm's were really low on the highway and I had taking some advice from a guy on a Mustang forum board saying "the 4.10 will make you rpm go thru the roof on the highway".

So what do you guys think? I will be driving the car on the highway to and from the track.

After the rear end I will be installing cam, intake, tb and new heads, rockers, lifter and valve springs. If the transmission makes it through the summer I will rebuild that in the fall. I don't know why they put such a crappy drivetrain in these cars. A 4L80 and 12 bolt would have been a great combo.

Another question, is there a way I can tell from my VIN if I have a 3 or 4 channel? Has anyone had issues shutting ABS off? I hate ABS, still can't get in the habit of not pumping the brakes. Can't teach an old dog new trick I guess.

PS I have an A4

Do you have a stall converter? Should drop a pretty decent amount of time off your et's right there. No gear expert here but those are some pretty tall gears even for an m6...

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Do you have a stall converter? Should drop a pretty decent amount of time off your et's right there. No gear expert here but those are some pretty tall gears even for an m6...
    Haven't done a converter yet. I planned on doing it when I pulled the tranny and did the rebuild.
    2000 Formula, All the bolts ons, Kooks, Quick Performance 9" 3.70, QA1, Spohn rear.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

In my opinion, those are too tall for a street car...4.10 are the limit for me.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    In my opinion, those are too tall for a street car...4.10 are the limit for me.
    What are your RPM's on the highway at 75mph with your 4.10? if you don't mind me asking?

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

I was also hoping to hear from some automatic owners.

Black
    1998 Z28

I'm running A4,2800 stall,and 4.56s' in the 10 bolt since fall of 2007,never regretted it and would not consider going back to something like 4.10s' or 3.73s(I had 3.23s' OEM).
    1st and 2nd are wild.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    I'm running A4,2800 stall,and 4.56s' in the 10 bolt since fall of 2007,never regretted it and would not consider going back to something like 4.10s' or 3.73s(I had 3.23s' OEM).
    1st and 2nd are wild.
    Now this is a true gear head

Black
    1998 Z28

with A4 & 4.56s',21.5 mpg at freeway legal limits.It was 24.5 with the OEM 3.23s' at freeway legal limits.
    City-way too much fun w4.56s' to drive conservatively.

Yep, I never understood how the younger generation got away from the true fun a big set of gears can provide. Nowadays with all these overdrives a 4.56 would feel pretty comfy.
    Shucks we used to run 4.56's in my daily driver with only a muncie in front of it and never thought twice. Still have a couple cars like that today even. (one with 4.88's)

Black
    1998 Z28

It's a daily driver except when it snows here in ohio.
    Torque,Torque,Torque! Torque accelerates,horsepower maintains.
    I'm 'old school' from the 60s' when torque and gears ruled the streets.I've worked on rearends back then so they are not something to avoid working on.Back in the late 60s',you could get factory 4.56s/4.88s in your car order in camaros,novas,and chevelles.They were great 'light to light' streetfighters.So why not build a rearend for optimal 'light to light' streetfighting.I have 3 extra rearends(take-outs from f-bod),many gearsets(from swap meets and Summit 'discount returned items,2.41,2.73.3.23,3.42,3.73,4.10,4.56),various carriers(auburns,torsens,and eatons).
    When I decided to take out the OEM 3.23 rearend(passenger side carrier bearing was growling),I figured why not build a rear with the $25 used richmond 4.56 gearset I picked up at a swap meet.That rearend was put in in sept. of 07 and I haven't regretted it since.1st and 2nd(with Nitto 315s on the street)are incredible.I've taken 3 trips to florida from cleveland,ohio with the 4.56s' and the computor has handled the mpg better than originally anticipated.24.5 mpg with the 3.23s,now 21.5 mpg with the 4.56s.No complaint here.Freeway rpm would be considered high,but I don't.It's designed to work in a range.Coming back from florida a few weeks ago,we hooked in with a fast traveling group on I-95/I-26/I-77 in South Carolina that put us in cruise control at 4000 rpm for a couple hours.The engine now has an incredible mechanical advantage over the car and it operates at a condition of not being under a load.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

I'm 'old school' from the 60s' when torque and gears ruled the streets.I've worked on rearends back then so they are not something to avoid working on.Back in the late 60s',you could get factory 4.56s/4.88s in your car order in camaros,novas,and chevelles.They were great 'light to light' streetfighters.So why not build a rearend for optimal 'light to light' streetfighting.I have 3 extra rearends(take-outs from f-bod),many gearsets(from swap meets and Summit 'discount returned items,2.41,2.73.3.23,3.42,3.73,4.10,4.56),various carriers(auburns,torsens,and eatons).
    When I decided to take out the OEM 3.23 rearend(passenger side carrier bearing was growling),I figured why not build a rear with the $25 used richmond 4.56 gearset I picked up at a swap meet.That rearend was put in in sept. of 07 and I haven't regretted it since.1st and 2nd(with Nitto 315s on the street)are incredible.I've taken 3 trips to florida from cleveland,ohio with the 4.56s' and the computor has handled the mpg better than originally anticipated.24.5 mpg with the 3.23s,now 21.5 mpg with the 4.56s.No complaint here.Freeway rpm would be considered high,but I don't.It's designed to work in a range.Coming back from florida a few weeks ago,we hooked in with a fast traveling group on I-95/I-26/I-77 in South Carolina that put us in cruise control at 4000 rpm for a couple hours.The engine now has an incredible mechanical advantage over the car and it operates at a condition of not being under a load.
    Thanks for the great info. The truth is the steeper the gear, the less the engine has to work to get it rolling. Torque is why I bought an LS1 bird. After the rear end goes in and the roads dry up (getting 14" of snow tonight ) I'll be throwing the M/T's on and hitting the track. I just hope the reaction shell in the weakling tranny can hold up through the summer. She will get the bulletproof treatment when she comes out and a new converter.

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

The main thing to considre is what RPM range does your cam work in.
    A3:42 gear in an a-4 car is perfect with a stock cam.

I am running a vindicator cam,and my RPM range is from 2500 to 7000 so the 4:10 has a very useful power range.
    I have 4:10 gears a Yank ss3600 converter 26.5" tall tires, and love the 2,2oo rpm at 70mph.

In my opinion for the A-4 cars first gear would be useless with anything lower than a 4:10. in a stock car.
    If you plan on running it in the 1/4 mile a 4:56 is defiantly out.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I would do a converter first. Don't forget, the lower the gear. The weaker they are.

But if you are using it as a daily driver, 3.73's
    All race, then 4.10's would be good.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

i would say go with the 4.10s.. thats what im about to get...
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    But if you are using it as a daily driver, 3.73's
    All race, then 4.10's would be good.
    +1 on that. I'm and A4 with a 3500 stall and I'm running 4.10's now but had 3.73's before. I liked the 3.73's much better for street and highway driving.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    +1 on that. I'm and A4 with a 3500 stall and I'm running 4.10's now but had 3.73's before. I liked the 3.73's much better for street and highway driving.
    What is it about the 4.10's you don't like with street manners?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Couldn't be happier with my 2.73s

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

you have anymore 4.10s that are new or in really good condition?

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Couldn't be happier with my 2.73s
    Quit it,,,,This is about real men that run real gears

Thread Information