Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
Like Tree3Likes

are 4.11s worth it verses 3.73s M6

This is a discussion on are 4.11s worth it verses 3.73s M6 within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I think you will be very happy with the Moser set up. They make some very quality stuff. I've had ...

  1. #21
    Member RONS98TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Age
    44
    Posts
    803

    BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

    I think you will be very happy with the Moser set up. They make some very quality stuff. I've had mine for about 8yrs with no issues. I did however make the mistake of not ordering the backing plates and had my bearings pressed on the axles. Then when I went home to assemble the rear, I realized my mistake. So then I went back to the machine shop to fix the problem.

  2. #22
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    I didn't see an option to buy new backing plates or I would have. thankfully I only have three channel as my car is a stripper model (the only stripper my wife lets me be around LOL) now what do I look for to see if I need these t-bolts to install or not?
    I'd post a pic however my photobucket is maxed on shared bandwidth...

    Look at the axle housing ends and see how close is the bolt holes to the axle tube. If it is very close to the tube or if you place a nut from the backing plate and place it over the hole if it doesn't let the bolt pass through and allow the nut to be turned on then you need t-bolts.

  3. #23
    Member werewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    123
    what size t-bolts and where can I get them from as I don't see any nuts fitting on the ends

  4. #24
    Member werewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    123
    looks like they shipped the t-bolts with the axle so one less thing to order. my driveshaft shipped today also so I will be one happy camper here soon.

  5. #25
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Which driveshaft did you get? Hopefully one with upgraded u-joints which will work with the larger 1350 yoke of the 12 bolt.

  6. #26
    Member werewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    123
    I ordered one from hawks third gen for 1350s and t56. Not sure off the top of my head who manufactured it but it is a 3.5 in diameter.

  7. #27
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    4:11's made no measurable difference in gas milaege in my car. (Less than 1mpg) There is no reason to get 3:73's in an m6 unless your running nitrous and will have to shift into 5th before the end of the track or you are running a 27" tire.

  8. #28
    Member werewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    123
    so what your saying is with stock tires I am now way over geared LOL.

  9. #29
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Ha, Yeah I think I know what he's trying to say but he has it backwards.

    With the stock 26" tire the 4.10's will feel pretty steep, especially 1st-4th gears. I feel the 2.66 first gear is a bit steep anyway for a 4 series gear, reminds me of dumptruck gearing

    Usually the close ratios of the day (2.20's) were the only manual transmissions that were factory equipped with 3.73 to 4.10 to 4.56 gearing. When you ordered less gearing of say....3.31 for example, you would generally get the wide ratio trans with a 2.52-2.54 first gear.
    That might help to understand why. A 2.66 first gear with 4.10's is pretty darn short. Fun on the dragstrip but I found it a bit useless on stock rubber and driving on the street.
    But....like I mentioned before...If I were running a 28" tire rather than the stock 26" I would have liked the 4.10 much better. With the stock 26" tire and the 3.73's, I still find 1st gear fairly short, again it's that 2.66 first gear, but it's about right in my opinion. With a 28" tire I probably wouldn't like the 3.73's. It's that steep first gear in these T-56's where the issue lies. It has tons of overdrive that eats up the 4.10's but they make 1st gear pretty damn short with the 2.66 first. I'd like to see first gear in the 2.40 range myself.
    Ford guys had the worst time with this back in the day with the 5.0's. Those 5 speeds had 3.27 first gears, so the factory equipped them with 3.08 rear gear MAXIMUM and that was optional. Standard was 2.73. Guys were sticking 3.73's and 4.10's in them. Let me tell you from first hand experience even the 3.73's in those cars made first gear absolutely USELESS. At the track when you popped the clutch you had to be ready to immediately yank second gear before the car even moved 20 feet. The 3.27 rear gear and the 3.55's were a better "all around" match.

    On mileage, the reason we found it to drop all the way down to 24 mpg is because my wife wasn't slowing down her cruise speed, still buzzing along at 80+ MPH keeping up with traffic (we have a limit of 75 here) But that's how she was driving the 3.42's as well. She went from a cruise RPM of 1800 to about 23-2400, and that eats more gas. If she would have slowed the cruise speed down to about 65 mph where the RPM's are just below 2,000 then it wouldn't be so bad. But how many people are willing to cruise 15 mph slower and add another 1/2 hour to the 100 mile trip each way every day?? I'll admit when I make the drive in my classics I'll cruise at 65ish mph but I'm in no hurry, I don't do that drive daily, or even weekly. But if I had to drive it daily like my wife did, I'd pick up the pace. It all just depends on your driving habits and the situation.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-22-2014 at 06:13 AM.

  10. #30
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Keep in mind I say all this strictly from a daily driver standpoint. If this were a weekend hotrod or a fun toy to play with, I wouldn't hesitate to toss in the 4.10's or even 4.30's and have some fun with it.

  11. #31
    Member werewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    123
    yea most of my drive is 70 mph max on back county highways. She is my DD so hope I don't regret this too much and do wish some of this info came out earlier lol. Eventually I do want to get some stickier tires for the occasional test and tune night that will be taller but daily it will be stockish sized tires.

  12. #32
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I'm betting you'll like it just fine.

    Alot of what is said here including my own opinion is just that. It's all personal preference and has alot to do with what you want out of a car.

  13. #33
    Member werewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    123
    I hope and worst case I get new gears lol

  14. #34
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ha, Yeah I think I know what he's trying to say but he has it backwards.

    With the stock 26" tire the 4.10's will feel pretty steep, especially 1st-4th gears. I feel the 2.66 first gear is a bit steep anyway for a 4 series gear, reminds me of dumptruck gearing

    Usually the close ratios of the day (2.20's) were the only manual transmissions that were factory equipped with 3.73 to 4.10 to 4.56 gearing. When you ordered less gearing of say....3.31 for example, you would generally get the wide ratio trans with a 2.52-2.54 first gear.
    That might help to understand why. A 2.66 first gear with 4.10's is pretty darn short. Fun on the dragstrip but I found it a bit useless on stock rubber and driving on the street.
    But....like I mentioned before...If I were running a 28" tire rather than the stock 26" I would have liked the 4.10 much better. With the stock 26" tire and the 3.73's, I still find 1st gear fairly short, again it's that 2.66 first gear, but it's about right in my opinion. With a 28" tire I probably wouldn't like the 3.73's. It's that steep first gear in these T-56's where the issue lies. It has tons of overdrive that eats up the 4.10's but they make 1st gear pretty damn short with the 2.66 first. I'd like to see first gear in the 2.40 range myself.
    Ford guys had the worst time with this back in the day with the 5.0's. Those 5 speeds had 3.27 first gears, so the factory equipped them with 3.08 rear gear MAXIMUM and that was optional. Standard was 2.73. Guys were sticking 3.73's and 4.10's in them. Let me tell you from first hand experience even the 3.73's in those cars made first gear absolutely USELESS. At the track when you popped the clutch you had to be ready to immediately yank second gear before the car even moved 20 feet. The 3.27 rear gear and the 3.55's were a better "all around" match.

    On mileage, the reason we found it to drop all the way down to 24 mpg is because my wife wasn't slowing down her cruise speed, still buzzing along at 80+ MPH keeping up with traffic (we have a limit of 75 here) But that's how she was driving the 3.42's as well. She went from a cruise RPM of 1800 to about 23-2400, and that eats more gas. If she would have slowed the cruise speed down to about 65 mph where the RPM's are just below 2,000 then it wouldn't be so bad. But how many people are willing to cruise 15 mph slower and add another 1/2 hour to the 100 mile trip each way every day?? I'll admit when I make the drive in my classics I'll cruise at 65ish mph but I'm in no hurry, I don't do that drive daily, or even weekly. But if I had to drive it daily like my wife did, I'd pick up the pace. It all just depends on your driving habits and the situation.
    Right yeah if you're running a 27" usually you'd go with 4:30's, a 28" tire then 4:56's.

  15. #35
    Member RONS98TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Age
    44
    Posts
    803

    BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

    I think your gonna be happy with your choice. The few times you do go to the track or even on the street to have a lil fun, your gonna be happy with the 410 in comparison. If you got the 373's, you will have that thought in the back of your mind, "what if' I would have gotten the other gears. The only "what if" I have is when I 1st got my car is I should have gotten the 6 speed man instead of the auto. I had some bad luck with the auto, until I finally got a great tuner. FROST is the man.

  16. #36
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Y
    Right yeah if you're running a 27" usually you'd go with 4:30's, a 28" tire then 4:56's.
    Actually I wouldn't mind the 4.30's or 4.56's with a 26" tire....IF...the car was more of a weekend toy. If it were a weekend toy it's also likely I wouldn't be running these 17" wheels and very short 26" tires either and go for more of a racey look with some 15's with 28" tall rear tires and skinnies up front.

  17. #37
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Enjoy. This car should have come from the factory with 4:11's imo.

  18. #38
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Enjoy. This car should have come from the factory with 4:11's imo.
    The trucks do

    What stopped it for the 4th gens was the whimpy 7.5" rear. That small ring diameter doesn't have much tooth contact when you get into the 4 series ratio's (pinion diameter gets very small) and it compromises strength.

    What they should have done since they were already dealing with SLP to build SS's and Firehawks, is to offer the 12 bolt rears as an option. Now that's something I would have checked off the list.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-23-2014 at 03:41 PM.

  19. #39
    Member werewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    123
    well my driveshaft arrived today so now it is just a question of when I can scrounge the time to swap over and get the computer updated. The car is in the shop right now getting the full exhaust and dynotune so I might need bail money soon LOL

  20. #40
    Member werewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    123
    Ok before I jump into this I have a question? I got the aluminum cover what issues might I run into with it and my panhard bar and swaybar? Just want to be ready for any surprises when I start this project. I did get the swaybar mounts and an adjustable umi panhard bar

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2.5 in exhaust verses 3 in exhaust?
    By Goblin in forum External Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 06:22 PM
  2. Is it even worth doing this...?
    By Firebird Phoenix in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 06:27 AM
  3. What's it Worth???
    By TopForm11 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 10:07 AM
  4. is it worth it.....
    By 74batmobile in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM
  5. SunCoast Raptor hood verses Firehawk Hood
    By 99ta92rt in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 09:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •