Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

4.10's ARE IN'S

This is a discussion on 4.10's ARE IN'S within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Is raising the rev limiter from 6200 to say 6700 a high risk with a stock ...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Is raising the rev limiter from 6200 to say 6700 a high risk with a stock LS1?
    I would say your fine. I spin my stock 05 LQ4 shortblock to 6800 very often. And before that, the orginal BS tune that was on the car had me spinning higher then that... on accident. 6700 RPM - I wouldnt even blink at. Also, being your a 2002, that helps. But I might be a minoirty and a tad crazy

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Is raising the rev limiter from 6200 to say 6700 a high risk with a stock LS1?
    Well, the bottom end should be fine, but you'd have to at least upgrade your pushrods and valve springs. These are barely good to 6200. Why would you want to anyway, the power is all done by 5500 or so. Now if you changed your cam, that's different.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Well, the bottom end should be fine, but you'd have to at least upgrade your pushrods and valve springs. These are barely good to 6200. Why would you want to anyway, the power is all done by 5500 or so. Now if you changed your cam, that's different.
    Power doesn't instantly drop to zero after 5500 rpm and for drag racing its usually quicker to rev past the peak HP rpm at the end of the track, then to shift into 5th.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^picky picky lol. I know that, just not trying to write a book every time I post. I meant why would you want to shift at 6700 with a mostly stock engine. When I'm on it, I've found my best times are when I shift right at 6150. Just the instant before my rev limiter cuts in.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That is what I am shifting at now, about 6100/6150. From my DYNO graph my peak HP was made at 5500RPM so I guess now that I think about it, after shifting at 6100 I would be at about my peak HP after RPM drop again.

NBM
    2002 pontiac Trans Am Ws6

hmmm...does anyone have a clue what the rpms would run on a automatic transmission in a trans am ws6...my buddy had a z28 camero automatic and had 410s and he was telling me he was running at a little bit over 3 grand doing 80 on the hwy

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

with stockish tire height of 25.6 and 4L60e OD ratio of .70 it would be
    3000 rpm at 80 mph

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

How was the install?

I wasn't really thinking about doing the drivtrain till i really had some horses.

But it sounds like alot of people really like it?

So just curious as far as labor hours you had into it?

Was there any special tools you needed?

Any other mods that need to go with it?

Can you still run the same gear lubricant (75-90 full syn i be leave it is?)

Wild guess of how much every thing was total?

Sorry the whole lot of questions only owned my car since august and love it!

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by zeetwentyeight View Post
    How was the install?

I wasn't really thinking about doing the drivtrain till i really had some horses.

But it sounds like alot of people really like it?

So just curious as far as labor hours you had into it?

Was there any special tools you needed?

Any other mods that need to go with it?

Can you still run the same gear lubricant (75-90 full syn i be leave it is?)

Wild guess of how much every thing was total?

Sorry the whole lot of questions only owned my car since august and love it!
    OK,by your question it seem like you should let a shop do this mod, if not done rite it can make terible noise & fail!
    a ruff ex.
    200.00 gear
    150.00 bearing,oil&gasket
    250.00 install
    But on the up side "yes" this will make your stock motor come alive!!!

Black
    2002 SS camaro

well i think im doing 4.10s now lol was going to do 3.73 but i read this an i want 4.10s

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 02_slp_ss View Post
    well i think im doing 4.10s now lol was going to do 3.73 but i read this an i want 4.10s
    Wise choice. Go 4:10 and don't look back.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Yep! Just do it!! LOL!!!!!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I did 4.10's and ive gotten so use to it, i hardly even notice i have gears now. Its very civilized around town or highway. I kinda wish i had 4.56 gears but our rear ends dont hold up too well and im already pushing it as we speak.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If mine ever come out for a rebuild I think 4:30s would go in in their place.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

how much did this cost you parts and labor? and what are your other mods?

excuse me if this has been asked..i'll admit i was too lazy to read the pages..

Black
    2002 SS camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Maro SS View Post
    how much did this cost you parts and labor? and what are your other mods?

excuse me if this has been asked..i'll admit i was too lazy to read the pages..
    im putting the gears in my self, but they coast around 150 or so, labor to do it will very on your shop

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

A couple of things.

4.10 gears for a stock or slightly modded M6 LS1 are fine. I've run them for 4 years now on 275/40/17 nitto tires.

I you are changing gears in the 10 bolt, you would be wise to replace the pinion crush sleeve with a solid spacer. It will help it live.

There is a compromise to the 4.10/4.11 gear upgrade. You can get 3.90 gears for the 10 bolt.

You might also want to consider a rear cover that lets you preload the carrier caps.

A couple of problems with the 10 bolt are axle tubes twisting and the axle tubes flexing forward on hard launches. You can have the axle tubes welded to the center and there is a company producing a rear cover with bracing extending toward the shock mounts to reduce flexing.

When you change the peak horsepower and or the torque curve, tire height and gearing needs change depending on the application you are trying to maximize.

Reduced gas mileage with 4.10 gears in an m6? I didn't see any reduction in my MPG, but I've never gotten more than 25 MPG and that was on a highway only trip. My mileage around town has always been about 13 MPG when I was bone stock, after the gear swap to 4.10s and after engine modifications. But my car is a convertible, so it is weighs in at 3900 lbs with me in it and it has more wind resistance.

If you're planning on doing 5K clutch dumps on slicks at the track, you need something stronger than the 10 bolt. For street driving and an occasional trip to the track on DRs making easy launches, you can make it work.

Right now, I trap at about 6550 RPMs @ 120 MPH, and my power band peaks around 6200 RPMs, so the 4.10 gears are a bit too much for me if I want to optimize my 1/4 times.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by KP1 View Post
    A couple of things.

4.10 gears for a stock or slightly modded M6 LS1 are fine. I've run them for 4 years now on 275/40/17 nitto tires.

I you are changing gears in the 10 bolt, you would be wise to replace the pinion crush sleeve with a solid spacer. It will help it live.

There is a compromise to the 4.10/4.11 gear upgrade. You can get 3.90 gears for the 10 bolt.

You might also want to consider a rear cover that lets you preload the carrier caps.

A couple of problems with the 10 bolt are axle tubes twisting and the axle tubes flexing forward on hard launches. You can have the axle tubes welded to the center and there is a company producing a rear cover with bracing extending toward the shock mounts to reduce flexing.

When you change the peak horsepower and or the torque curve, tire height and gearing needs change depending on the application you are trying to maximize.

Reduced gas mileage with 4.10 gears in an m6? I didn't see any reduction in my MPG, but I've never gotten more than 25 MPG and that was on a highway only trip. My mileage around town has always been about 13 MPG when I was bone stock, after the gear swap to 4.10s and after engine modifications. But my car is a convertible, so it is weighs in at 3900 lbs with me in it and it has more wind resistance.

If you're planning on doing 5K clutch dumps on slicks at the track, you need something stronger than the 10 bolt. For street driving and an occasional trip to the track on DRs making easy launches, you can make it work.

Right now, I trap at about 6550 RPMs @ 120 MPH, and my power band peaks around 6200 RPMs, so the 4.10 gears are a bit too much for me if I want to optimize my 1/4 times.
    There's some good information here. I wondered about 4th gear RPM at the top end of the 1/4. Obviously your car is modded pretty good to be getting 120 MPH with a race weight around 3900.

I've welded my axle tubes and put on a diff girdle, no noises or problems with mine. I don't use drag radials, I trap 107-109.9 so far. 4.10s are a future mod for me, along with an LS6 intake, and a tune. My goal for this dailey driver is to be in the 12s on hot days at over 110. I might do these changes this winter.

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

Good luck with it. Keep in mind that you will probably have traction problems on street tires out of the hole when you install the gear. A set of DRs are almost a must.

Mine is driven almost every day, rain or shine. It's NA pump gas and high early torque for easy around town driving and getting the lead sled rolling.

2002 Camaro 11.828 @ 119.88 3900 lbs with me in the seat.
    2004 Z06 for Road Courses.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information