Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 101 to 112 of 112

4:10's or 3:73's in an a4

This is a discussion on 4:10's or 3:73's in an a4 within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Firebird....or anyone else for that matter. Do you think with my stock cam/heads and that 4.11 ...

  1. #101
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Firebird....or anyone else for that matter.

    Do you think with my stock cam/heads and that 4.11 gear it's going to be a total waste with FI? I do plan on going with a higher gear...just didn't know if I should do it immediately or not.

    My guess is I'll be blowing the tires off the car and going through gears like crazy!
    You are going forced induction and keeping the stock heads and cam?? Just want to make sure I understand so I can get an idea.

    Generally speaking, a forced induction setup generally doesn't need alot of rear gear. Depending on how much you plan to turn up the wick as well as the tranny you run (first gear ratio) will dictate the gear that suits you best.

    Although everyone giggles over HP numbers, with most forced induction it's the torque curve that is usually tremendous and it usually also comes on very strong and very early in the rpm range. So you want to take gear out of the combo.
    If you are running the 4L60E with a 3.06 first gear, it's going to hit the tires so hard it'll be very tough to hook with much rear gear at all.
    With a 6speed and it's 2.66 first gear, things aren't as bad.

    I don't know what your power goals are but since you have the 4.11's already, I'd probably do the power adder and get it all dialed in and see what you have. Chances are good you will probably take some gear out, maybe 3.70ish~

  2. #102
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Everything under the hood is stock (heads/cam/LS6 intake etc). I have a built T56 by RPM Transmission.

    I'll be running the Procharger D1SC with 8-9psi for now. My long-term goal is to change out the heads/cam and forge it, but funds aren't allowing that right now so I'm going with a mild 8psi on the stock motor. My guess is around 500rwhp/rwtq on 8-9psi.

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Euclid,ohio
    Posts
    174

    Black
    1998 Z28

    Yep,8-9psi should put you at around 500,you won't need gear with that,adding heads and intake to the 500 still won't require gear,cam added into the equation might require gear. Since you've already got a 9",a better clutch would be in order,unless you've already got that taken care.
    Would't surprise me if you ended up,after all mods are done,going to a gear in the low 3s'. With all that power to accelerate the vehicle,you won't need a gears' help.

  4. #104
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    Yep,8-9psi should put you at around 500,you won't need gear with that,adding heads and intake to the 500 still won't require gear,cam added into the equation might require gear. Since you've already got a 9",a better clutch would be in order,unless you've already got that taken care.
    Would't surprise me if you ended up,after all mods are done,going to a gear in the low 3s'. With all that power to accelerate the vehicle,you won't need a gears' help.
    Yeah I understand. I will eventually go with something like you mention for gearing. I was just wondering what the feel would be like with that set-up and having the 4.11 still in the ass end.

    My car has everything on it ready for this power...I believe.

  5. #105
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the tool box....
    Posts
    22

    Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You are going forced induction and keeping the stock heads and cam?? Just want to make sure I understand so I can get an idea.

    Generally speaking, a forced induction setup generally doesn't need alot of rear gear. Depending on how much you plan to turn up the wick as well as the tranny you run (first gear ratio) will dictate the gear that suits you best.

    Although everyone giggles over HP numbers, with most forced induction it's the torque curve that is usually tremendous and it usually also comes on very strong and very early in the rpm range. So you want to take gear out of the combo.
    If you are running the 4L60E with a 3.06 first gear, it's going to hit the tires so hard it'll be very tough to hook with much rear gear at all.
    With a 6speed and it's 2.66 first gear, things aren't as bad.

    I don't know what your power goals are but since you have the 4.11's already, I'd probably do the power adder and get it all dialed in and see what you have. Chances are good you will probably take some gear out, maybe 3.70ish~

    ^^^This....

    I would say if you are going to be running the stock short block and only 8 or 9 PSI I would leave them in there until you forge the shortblock and up the boost. Especially if you frequent the track. Even when you turn the boost up, chances are the gear will be fine, depending on the tire size. Most cars that I know of that still run the P1 or D1 head unit are still using a 4.10/4.11 rear gear with 28" tires with no problems through the traps in the 1/4 and they are at the limits of their head units.

  6. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Euclid,ohio
    Posts
    174

    Black
    1998 Z28

    "Yeah I understand. I will eventually go with something like you mention for gearing. I was just wondering what the feel would be like with that set-up and having the 4.11 still in the ass end."
    since you have a 9",you could build on the bench a 3.XX section and quickly changeout whenever you want and still have the 4.XX to re-install for 'fun'
    If I had 9",I'd probably have 3 setup and ready,high 4.XX,mid 3.XX,and mid 2.XX for travelling.

  7. #107
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the tool box....
    Posts
    22

    Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    "Yeah I understand. I will eventually go with something like you mention for gearing. I was just wondering what the feel would be like with that set-up and having the 4.11 still in the ass end."
    since you have a 9",you could build on the bench a 3.XX section and quickly changeout whenever you want and still have the 4.XX to re-install for 'fun'
    If I had 9",I'd probably have 3 setup and ready,high 4.XX,mid 3.XX,and mid 2.XX for travelling.
    It gets pretty expensive having extra center sections around. You could do it, but it would be expensive and time consuming. I would just find a gear that would suit your needs and would still be "livable" for you. With you being M6 you could potentially run a steep gear and get away with it, depending on tire size and what you would be happy with.

    A friend of mine has a 404 LS2 and when he had his D1 was running 15PSI through and was crossing the beams at around 6500ish and his limiter is 6800. He was on a 28" tire and still using his 4.11s in his 9". Now he is going turbo and is going to see how the 4.11s will work with the extra boost... but will more than likely step down a little, load is better for boost on turbos, but that is a story for another day.

  8. #108
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Everything under the hood is stock (heads/cam/LS6 intake etc). I have a built T56 by RPM Transmission.

    I'll be running the Procharger D1SC with 8-9psi for now. My long-term goal is to change out the heads/cam and forge it, but funds aren't allowing that right now so I'm going with a mild 8psi on the stock motor. My guess is around 500rwhp/rwtq on 8-9psi.
    Try it and see how things work out. I can tell you when these cars were new there was a local shop installing the Procharger D1SC setups on bone stock LS1 4th gens all the time, running 8-10 lbs. of boost.

    They were dyno'd and the lowest I remember seeing was 450 rwhp and alot of them were at or just above 500. These were low mileage new cars, some of them (from what I remember) didn't even have headers or any type of rear gear installed. They were easy 11 second cars and an absolute blast on the street at that time. They lived for years as far as I know on a safe tune with stock internals on that mild boost. I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

  9. #109
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Try it and see how things work out. I can tell you when these cars were new there was a local shop installing the Procharger D1SC setups on bone stock LS1 4th gens all the time, running 8-10 lbs. of boost.

    They were dyno'd and the lowest I remember seeing was 450 rwhp and alot of them were at or just above 500. These were low mileage new cars, some of them (from what I remember) didn't even have headers or any type of rear gear installed. They were easy 11 second cars and an absolute blast on the street at that time. They lived for years as far as I know on a safe tune with stock internals on that mild boost. I don't think you'll be dissappointed.
    That is what I am hoping for. I have LTs, ORY and exhaust. Car has 20,500 miles on it. I am currently running Nitto DRs, but will probably go with MTs once these tires are gone.

  10. #110
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    3

    Polo green black
    2000 z28 1994 z28

    How much is the regular price for the 4.10 and the intallation packages

  11. #111
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    damn way to bring this thread back from the dead lol and about 350

  12. #112
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You are going forced induction and keeping the stock heads and cam?? Just want to make sure I understand so I can get an idea.

    Generally speaking, a forced induction setup generally doesn't need alot of rear gear. Depending on how much you plan to turn up the wick as well as the tranny you run (first gear ratio) will dictate the gear that suits you best.

    Although everyone giggles over HP numbers, with most forced induction it's the torque curve that is usually tremendous and it usually also comes on very strong and very early in the rpm range. So you want to take gear out of the combo.
    If you are running the 4L60E with a 3.06 first gear, it's going to hit the tires so hard it'll be very tough to hook with much rear gear at all.
    With a 6speed and it's 2.66 first gear, things aren't as bad.

    I don't know what your power goals are but since you have the 4.11's already, I'd probably do the power adder and get it all dialed in and see what you have. Chances are good you will probably take some gear out, maybe 3.70ish~
    Lots of GTO guys stay with the 3.46 rear and the REALLY boosted 600+hp boys opt for the 3.07s that are used in the first year or the Lumina SS (middle eastern version of the GTO).

    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    damn way to bring this thread back from the dead lol and about 350
    I found gears plus the refresh kit for $272 delivered to my door. Motive gear with the red color on the box.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •