Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

4:10's or 3:73's in an a4

This is a discussion on 4:10's or 3:73's in an a4 within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I graduated from high school right into the 'original' muscle car era. typical FACTORY options were up to 4.56,the 69 ...

Black
    1998 Z28

I graduated from high school right into the 'original' muscle car era. typical FACTORY options were up to 4.56,the 69 camaro even had 4.88 in the option code. gears back then were used to make cars into 'light to light' streetfighters. the dragstrip was OK but the street is where you earned respect/fear.
    I love the overdrive trannys,gives me the ability to have the best of both worlds,a wicked gear and decent mpg. I used to get 6mpg in my 65 gransport when I would rejet the carb for strip duty.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    I graduated from high school right into the 'original' muscle car era. typical FACTORY options were up to 4.56,the 69 camaro even had 4.88 in the option code. gears back then were used to make cars into 'light to light' streetfighters. the dragstrip was OK but the street is where you earned respect/fear.
    I love the overdrive trannys,gives me the ability to have the best of both worlds,a wicked gear and decent mpg. I used to get 6mpg in my 65 gransport when I would rejet the carb for strip duty.
    I can understand that. I just can't bring myself to shove an overdrive in any of the classic cars. Just seems to dampen the experience, well that and the fact that they are getting to be worth too much money to decimate like that.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have another car with 4.88's, no overdrive. My buddy drove his COPO around since the 70's with 5.13's in it.
    JESUS

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

That's not bad at all for that mph, actually alot more mph than I'm used to driving a car with gears.
    That's just it, alot of people drive around like there asses are on fire and think they need to be somewhere. I'm of the mindset that 55-60 is fast enough for any of my "geared" cars, and I allow enough time to get there, never in a hurry. That's just the adjustment I've been used to doing for 30+ years. Hell that's what we all did back in the day. Guess that's why I never got that thrilled about overdrive transmissions and can't grasp the idea of even contemplating a gear change with an overdrive in front.

Guess thats where these kids have issues, just can't make that adjustment.
    Exactly. If you slow down a bit you can drive a "geared" car anywhere and be fine. I actually prefer the gears since they kind of force me to slow down. Keeps my insurance rates nice and low.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    JESUS
    I'll be honest though, he is approaching 60, so about 5 years ago he wanted to tame the car back down a bit so he could "drive it" more So I pulled the 5.13's and stuck 4.56's in there. Now the car has gotten too valuable to enjoy though.
    I was running with him in my DZ with 4.88's for years. When that car goes back together it will get the 4.88's again

Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    Exactly. If you slow down a bit you can drive a "geared" car anywhere and be fine. I actually prefer the gears since they kind of force me to slow down. Keeps my insurance rates nice and low.
    We think alike. I keep a certain rpm, and the gears keep the speeds down. I don't have to worry about tickets that way.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

well now that i have the rear end guys chyming in what do you all think would be best for me since i drive mostly highway but still go to the track alot of the time

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

If you go to the track alot and don't mind doing 70 instead of 80, go with the 4.10's. With the converter locked in 4th, at 70 you'll be around 2700 rpm and still get about 20~ mpg.

Black
    1998 Z28

agree^^^ ! 4.10s'. better acceleration than 3.73s' provided you can get traction.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

If you go to the track alot and don't mind doing 70 instead of 80, go with the 4.10's. With the converter locked in 4th, at 70 you'll be around 2700 rpm and still get about 20~ mpg.
    Yeah im not too worried about MPG's. however i do love cruising at 80 so im thinking that 3:73's will be better for my application

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

also how are the highway pulls with 4:10's with a 3600 convertor

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

To be honest, I haven't been able to do any WOT pulls with my car yet.....with my new setup, my trans is slipping really bad WOT in 3rd (hitting my 6700 rev limiter at 65 mph in third gear). Use this link to see what you are comfortable with: http://www.f-body.org/gears/

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

To be honest, I haven't been able to do any WOT pulls with my car yet.....with my new setup, my trans is slipping really bad WOT in 3rd (hitting my 6700 rev limiter at 65 mph in third gear). Use this link to see what you are comfortable with: http://www.f-body.org/gears/
    thanks for the link man i think that i just made my decision

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    well now that i have the rear end guys chyming in what do you all think would be best for me since i drive mostly highway but still go to the track alot of the time
    A double duty car is always hard to pick a gear for. It really depends on what you are willing to deal with.
    Like I mentioned earlier, most people here try to daily drive their cars while at the same time making them fast straight line performers, that's a difficult feat to pull off without giving up one or the other, and it seems most here like to use the 3.73 gear as a compromise. With the overdrive that should be a piece of cake to live with compared to what I'm used to.
    For me even the 4.10's aren't bad. But I come from the other side of the fence. I prefer to gear a car according to what the engine needs to run the quickest 1/4 mile time possible and then what ever that winds up being, I deal with it on the street. I simply adjust my driving speed, whether it's 55 or 70 mph it doesn't really matter to me.

But if you think like most do around here, I'm betting the 3.73's will give you what you want.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-08-2010 at 12:50 PM.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

A double duty car is always hard to pick a gear for. It really depends on what you are willing to deal with.
    Like I mentioned earlier, most people here try to daily drive their cars while at the same time making them fast straight line performers, that's a difficult feat to pull off without giving up one or the other, and it seems most here like to use the 3.73 gear as a compromise. With the overdrive that should be a piece of cake to live with compared to what I'm used to.
    For me even the 4.10's aren't bad. But I come from the other side of the fence. I prefer to gear a car according to what the engine needs to run the quickest 1/4 mile time possible and then what ever that winds up being, I deal with it on the street. I simply adjust my driving speed, whether it's 55 or 70 mph it doesn't really matter to me.

But if you think like most do around here, I'm betting the 3.73's will give you what you want.
    i see and you would be correct also i talked to one of the guys at my shop and he said that i would be worth it to just save up and put a dana 44 with a nice set of gears since their strong and i wont have to worry about having to tear it down and fix it in the future when it eventually breaks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Wink

That's not bad at all for that mph, actually alot more mph than I'm used to driving a car with gears.
    That's just it, alot of people drive around like there asses are on fire and think they need to be somewhere. I'm of the mindset that 55-60 is fast enough for any of my "geared" cars, and I allow enough time to get there, never in a hurry. That's just the adjustment I've been used to doing for 30+ years. Hell that's what we all did back in the day. Guess that's why I never got that thrilled about overdrive transmissions and can't grasp the idea of even contemplating a gear change with an overdrive in front.

Guess thats where these kids have issues, just can't make that adjustment.
    Hey old timer , it's a fast paced world out there, no time to slow down for us. emails, a bunch of text messages, High speed internet, TV, Fast food, no sleep...

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs down

I have another car with 4.88's, no overdrive. My buddy drove his COPO around since the 70's with 5.13's in it.
    The gear ratios you are quoting are generally used for 1/8 mile tracks, no one in their right minds would run these gears on the street.

JMHO

SteveC

Black
    1998 Z28

I guess I'm out of my mind,lol. Since 4.56s' with my A4 were the highest numerical ratio available for our little 10 bolt,I was limited to them. If 4.88 or 5.13 was available,I'd use those.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

In the standing mile I'll whip all these cars... that's the beauty of picking the right gear. while your car will max out at 135mph... I'll be cruising at 180 by you. If I were to decide to mess with you while you were cruising down the interstate at a normal 70-80 mph, my car with the higher gear will pull harder.

If you want a full on out drag car that's good from a dig on a well prepped track in an 1/8th go with the 4.00+ gears.

Better be prepared to get slicks just for traction, then a drive shaft safety loop so when you break the shaft it doesn't tear the whole bottom side of your car up, and in the end you'll need to get a 9 in. or 12 bolt because more than likely your 10 bolt will not be far behind the shaft in utter destruction.

too much at stake for a poor guy like me. if you're like my friend who has a NBM WS6 w/ 4.10's you'll go through these steps like he did. his car is a manual though and he always launches between 2500-3000rpm's. his car w/the double overdrive turns about 2000 rpms cruising at 70, so with a stick your options would be a little bigger.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    The gear ratios you are quoting are generally used for 1/8 mile tracks, no one in their right minds would run these gears on the street.

JMHO

SteveC
    agreed

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information