Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 112

4:10's or 3:73's in an a4

This is a discussion on 4:10's or 3:73's in an a4 within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by elmarro Yea I had them for bout 2yr n it wasn't that bad ,my friend had 373s ...

  1. #21
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by elmarro View Post
    Yea I had them for bout 2yr n it wasn't that bad ,my friend had 373s on his 2mo later he put the 410, I guess he felt a big difference ...
    is there that big of a difference between the two?

    also i drive between 80 and 90 on the way to work and school every day so...

  2. #22
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    I see i think our cars came with a aux. trans cooler. correct me if im wrong but i have decided to go with a set of 373's just cause i dont want to mess with my highway driving
    3.73's are the best choice, and you should consider getting the gears cryod (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cryogenic-freezing.htm) for extra strength. My 01 Z28 cooled the trans fluid going through the bottom of the radiator, I went with an external B&M 25K cooler, out of the trans, into the radiator, out of the radiator into the cooler, back to the trans.

    Don't shy away from the 3600 stall, stick with the name brands (Yank, Precision Industries), and stay away from the cheap crap, in the case of aftermarket TC you get what you pay for.

    Lots of luck;

    SteveC

  3. #23
    Car Nut ICRAZY6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lacon, Illinois
    Posts
    404

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    I'm running 3.70's in my 9" and love it. Equivelant to the 3.73's. I also have a built trans and Yank SS3600. It's not to bad for driving on the highway, average about 19-20mpg on long hauls @ 70mph.
    Last edited by ICRAZY6; 11-05-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Incorrect info

    2002 Black WS6 A4.
    FI, H/C, LT headers, full exhaust, Fast 90/90. MWC Fab 9". Subframe connectors,
    Lower Control Arms, Panhard bar, Torque arm Strano Springs & Sway Bars.
    Koni Yellows. FLT Stage VII trans w/ PAS3400
    ASC# 4619 Conversion date was Dec 3, 2001

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    258

    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

    Quote Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 View Post
    I'm running 3.70's in my 9" and love it. Equivelant to the 3.73's. I also have a built trans and Yank SS3600. It's not to bad for driving on the highway, average about 19-20mpg on long hauls @ 70mph. Rpm is about 2750-2800rpm @ 70mph.
    I know RPM calculation isn't an exact science but shouldn't you be closer to 2400-2500 rpm at 70 on the highway with your 3.70? I run at 2700~2800 with my 4.10's at 70 mph.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

  5. #25
    Car Nut ICRAZY6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lacon, Illinois
    Posts
    404

    Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Hmm..... It's be a while since I've drove it and currently in storage......

  6. #26
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    3.73's are the best choice, and you should consider getting the gears cryod (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cryogenic-freezing.htm) for extra strength. My 01 Z28 cooled the trans fluid going through the bottom of the radiator, I went with an external B&M 25K cooler, out of the trans, into the radiator, out of the radiator into the cooler, back to the trans.

    Don't shy away from the 3600 stall, stick with the name brands (Yank, Precision Industries), and stay away from the cheap crap, in the case of aftermarket TC you get what you pay for.

    Lots of luck;

    SteveC
    thanks man and the convertor is next on the list i have heard that they can drop around .2 to .5 off of E/T's at the track NTM alot better to drive once i cam the hell out of the car

  7. #27
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    2200 rpm vs 2450 at 65 mph in our cars boys........3.73 vs 4.10s that is.

    Not a HUGE difference in cruising rpm.

  8. #28
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    from personal observation, 3.42's w/a 3200 stall is just about perfect for a bolt on-stock car in the 1/4 mile. you will still get anywhere between 19-21mpg on the highway around 75mph at 2400 RPM's

    If you have a H/C car you will want the 3600 stall. On an auto that cruises frequently on the highway @ 70-80mph you don't really want to go higher than 3.42's If you still want to stay in or over 20mpg.

    Call Dave @ yank and talk to him. He will tell you similar. If you call him he will ask you what your intentions for the car are. Mine falls in the SS3600 category, but I like to go around whindy corners and hope to Auto Cross perhaps one day. It's not my focus, but he recommended to go with the 3200 w/3.42's as well.

  9. #29
    Junior Member 98 formula ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dallas Tx
    Posts
    86

    blue
    98 firebird formula

    I ran 4.10s in my 10 bolt and then put a dana s60 with 4.30s at 80 its about 3000 rpms but its not a daily driver get a 1.70 60 foot at the track

  10. #30
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 formula ws6 View Post
    I ran 4.10s in my 10 bolt and then put a dana s60 with 4.30s at 80 its about 3000 rpms but its not a daily driver get a 1.70 60 foot at the track
    Hey there ya go,,,someone with a real gear

    These questions crack me up, although I can understand somewhat the younger generation growing up with these overdrives.

    I would never hesitate for a track car/weekend fun car to shove a 4.10 gear in it, especially if it's sporting an overdrive. Coming from someone that drives 4.10's and even 4.88's on the street without an overdrive it just doesn't bother me.
    But it seems most people here like their overdrives, and hate to spin the motors on the highway, and 3.73's seem to be the happy spot for most here.

    If you get rid of the weenie 26 inch tall tires and run a real tire under the car (28") then even the 4.10's wouldn't seem so bad.

  11. #31
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    My 98 came with 3.23 and when I did the 3.73 swap it was like night and day and still pulls decent mpgs on trips. I have full bolt ons and the gear made it alot more fun. Waiting to see what it will be like when I get it back with the stall and MS3 cam tomorrow with the 3.73's. I can't say I would go 4.10's on a driver since mine revs high enought at 75 on the highway with 3.73's when I am traveling above the legal limit on cruises and longer trips.
    Last edited by RyanJM; 11-10-2010 at 02:57 PM.

  12. #32
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    from personal observation, 3.42's w/a 3200 stall is just about perfect for a bolt on-stock car in the 1/4 mile. you will still get anywhere between 19-21mpg on the highway around 75mph at 2400 RPM's

    If you have a H/C car you will want the 3600 stall. On an auto that cruises frequently on the highway @ 70-80mph you don't really want to go higher than 3.42's If you still want to stay in or over 20mpg.

    Call Dave @ yank and talk to him. He will tell you similar. If you call him he will ask you what your intentions for the car are. Mine falls in the SS3600 category, but I like to go around whindy corners and hope to Auto Cross perhaps one day. It's not my focus, but he recommended to go with the 3200 w/3.42's as well.
    thanks for the info man and perhaps you have a number you could PM me??

  13. #33
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    thanks for the info man and perhaps you have a number you could PM me??
    Google "Yank". It's the very first website listed. The number is on their site.

  14. #34
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Google "Yank". It's the very first website listed. The number is on their site.
    thanks man

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Euclid,ohio
    Posts
    174

    Black
    1998 Z28

    I'm running an A4 w 4.56s' for 3 years now,picked up a used set of Richmonds at a swap meet for $25. Installed them(I work on rearends) and have not thought twice about it. Low end pickup is phenominal,top speed is around 140,and gas mpg turned out to be better than anticipated. The OEM 3.23s gave me 24.5mpg on 6 trips to Florida from Cleveland,3 trips to Florida with the 4.56s' gave me 21.5mpg. Those figures are for travelling at freeway LEGAL speeds. 3000rpm(true)at 72mph(true).
    After I do a tranny swap (broken sprag),I'll also be replacing the TCI 2800 with a Yank SS3600,and run that with the 4.56s' for a while,then go to 4.10s' in the rearend I'm currently building.
    I'll be switching from the 4.56s'(even though I don't want to switch because of the 4.56 factor on the street) to the 4.10s' to avoid having to use 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile.

  16. #36
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,807

    sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    I'm running an A4 w 4.56s' for 3 years now,picked up a used set of Richmonds at a swap meet for $25. Installed them(I work on rearends) and have not thought twice about it. Low end pickup is phenominal,top speed is around 140,and gas mpg turned out to be better than anticipated. The OEM 3.23s gave me 24.5mpg on 6 trips to Florida from Cleveland,3 trips to Florida with the 4.56s' gave me 21.5mpg. Those figures are for travelling at freeway LEGAL speeds. 3000rpm(true)at 72mph(true).
    After I do a tranny swap (broken sprag),I'll also be replacing the TCI 2800 with a Yank SS3600,and run that with the 4.56s' for a while,then go to 4.10s' in the rearend I'm currently building.
    I'll be switching from the 4.56s'(even though I don't want to switch because of the 4.56 factor on the street) to the 4.10s' to avoid having to use 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile.
    that is a huge ass gear man i dont want anything that big

  17. #37
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    I'm running an A4 w 4.56s' for 3 years now,picked up a used set of Richmonds at a swap meet for $25. Installed them(I work on rearends) and have not thought twice about it. Low end pickup is phenominal,top speed is around 140,and gas mpg turned out to be better than anticipated. The OEM 3.23s gave me 24.5mpg on 6 trips to Florida from Cleveland,3 trips to Florida with the 4.56s' gave me 21.5mpg. Those figures are for travelling at freeway LEGAL speeds. 3000rpm(true)at 72mph(true).
    After I do a tranny swap (broken sprag),I'll also be replacing the TCI 2800 with a Yank SS3600,and run that with the 4.56s' for a while,then go to 4.10s' in the rearend I'm currently building.
    I'll be switching from the 4.56s'(even though I don't want to switch because of the 4.56 factor on the street) to the 4.10s' to avoid having to use 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile.
    Or you could build the motor to turn a few more rpms, stick a 28" tall tire on it for the track, and you wouldn't need 4th gear with those 4.56's

    I run my nomad with 4.56's and a muncie 4speed. Little 327 that turns 7,000, and it runs through the traps at about 64-6500 with a 28" inch tall tire.

    I've always run alot of gear without the assist of overdrives, so I never thought twice about it. I just cruise down the highway, put the motor on 3,000 and what ever the mph is I don't worry about it. I'll get there when I get there.

  18. #38
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    that is a huge ass gear man i dont want anything that big
    I have another car with 4.88's, no overdrive. My buddy drove his COPO around since the 70's with 5.13's in it.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Euclid,ohio
    Posts
    174

    Black
    1998 Z28

    4.56s' are only 11% more gear than 4.10s'.
    I do a lot of travelling with it,I wanna keep the engine stock for reliability(don't wanna start a discussion about reliability of OEM & aftermarket performance parts/mods) and because of all the travelling,tires are kept at the stock diameter.

  20. #40
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    I have 4.10's in my car and love them. I turn 2,700 rpm at 70 on a 275/40/17 tire. .

    That's not bad at all for that mph, actually alot more mph than I'm used to driving a car with gears.
    That's just it, alot of people drive around like there asses are on fire and think they need to be somewhere. I'm of the mindset that 55-60 is fast enough for any of my "geared" cars, and I allow enough time to get there, never in a hurry. That's just the adjustment I've been used to doing for 30+ years. Hell that's what we all did back in the day. Guess that's why I never got that thrilled about overdrive transmissions and can't grasp the idea of even contemplating a gear change with an overdrive in front.

    Guess thats where these kids have issues, just can't make that adjustment.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •