Results 1 to 9 of 9

4.10 gear

This is a discussion on 4.10 gear within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hey guys, i am about to put a 4.10 in my 02. i got a M6. i was wandering what ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member 02 Camaro SS SLP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    90

    Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

    Exclamation 4.10 gear

    hey guys, i am about to put a 4.10 in my 02. i got a M6. i was wandering what rpms i would run at 65 in 6th gear or at 50 in 6th, just looking for some statistics, thanks guys

  2. #2
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS SLP View Post
    hey guys, i am about to put a 4.10 in my 02. i got a M6. i was wandering what rpms i would run at 65 in 6th gear or at 50 in 6th, just looking for some statistics, thanks guys
    Can't give you hard evidence due to me not running that gear yet but from the majority I have seen post, your only going to lose about 1-2 mpg highway so I would put that around 1,500 rpm higher in 6th at highway speed. Many will tell you also that 50mph in 6th gear isn't recommended.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

  3. #3
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Can't give you hard evidence due to me not running that gear yet but from the majority I have seen post, your only going to lose about 1-2 mpg highway so I would put that around 1,500 rpm higher in 6th at highway speed. Many will tell you also that 50mph in 6th gear isn't recommended.
    it won't hurt the engine as long as you're basically resting your foot on the gas pedal... if you give half throttle or mash it then it's hard on the engine...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    258

    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

    Look Here:
    http://www.f-body.org/gears/

    It's also a sticky at the top of the drivetrain forum.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    I'm around 2k at 70mph. I didn't lose any MPG really I was getting close to 20mpg before and I'm getting close to 20mpg now.

  6. #6
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I'm around 2k at 70mph. I didn't lose any MPG really I was getting close to 20mpg before and I'm getting close to 20mpg now.
    You must do alot of sprinted city driving. I was hard for me not to get 25mpg in my m6 3:42 car. I'm not sure what I will be getting now that I have 4:10s. I haven't put enough miles on them. Boy, I can get 18mpg with my 04 1500 Sierra Z71 that has 4:10s in it. Your doing something wrong if you are only getting 20mpgs, or you have a built motor with a shit tune.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    You must do alot of sprinted city driving. I was hard for me not to get 25mpg in my m6 3:42 car. I'm not sure what I will be getting now that I have 4:10s. I haven't put enough miles on them. Boy, I can get 18mpg with my 04 1500 Sierra Z71 that has 4:10s in it. Your doing something wrong if you are only getting 20mpgs, or you have a built motor with a shit tune.
    Are you kidding me there is no way you are getting 25mpg city driving or on average unless all your driving is on the highway or your car is gutted with a 4cyl swap. My last highway trip I averaged 27mpg. My 20mpg is pretty damn good for a car with 410s and mixed driving including bumper to bumper traffic.

  8. #8
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Are you kidding me there is no way you are getting 25mpg city driving or on average unless all your driving is on the highway or your car is gutted with a 4cyl swap. My last highway trip I averaged 27mpg. My 20mpg is pretty damn good for a car with 410s and mixed driving including bumper to bumper traffic.
    My 25mpg average was with my 3.42s not even trying. I'm not sure what I'm at with my 4.10s.
    Well you never mentioned what type of driving you do, and that is important when you are taking about MPGs.

  9. #9
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    You must do alot of sprinted city driving. I was hard for me not to get 25mpg in my m6 3:42 car. I'm not sure what I will be getting now that I have 4:10s. I haven't put enough miles on them. Boy, I can get 18mpg with my 04 1500 Sierra Z71 that has 4:10s in it. Your doing something wrong if you are only getting 20mpgs, or you have a built motor with a shit tune.
    My car with very mild upgrades (LT headers, ORY, K&N) and a 9" with a 4.11, and a Frost tune gets 16-19 in the city and 20-24 on the interstate. Granted, I have a bit of a heavy right foot but expecting the same mileage out of my 350hp+ V8 that I got out of the wife's old Lancer is a bit rediculous. My wife's Grand Caravan get's 17/21 with a 3.8 V6 and my old Yukon got 16/19 with a 327 V8. I figure my decade old V8 is pretty good.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sticking in gear / not going into gear
    By Dave-TransAm in forum V6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 02:56 AM
  2. Pro Gear ($900) vs SD Gear&Axle ($570)??
    By Z28er in forum Western Members
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
  3. cant get it into gear?
    By sscamed in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 06:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •